Yamaha YBR 125 2012 Model

matavin

http://i.imgur.com/EPq32VR.jpg?1

What model was it?

Yamaha YBR 125 2012

When did you buy it and how much did it cost?

I bought it brand new with 0 miles on the clock at retail price 2,499.

I did this because as a new bike i decided to invest in a new bike with manufacturers warranty as well as no previous owners. I had zero experience in pre owned bikes and maintenance so felt that a brand new bike would be easier to understand and look after.

Good points?

MPG!! Amazing miles per gallon here. I will mention the bad points in the next section but the first point that stands out is the cost to fill it up. Even if you got the bike second hand and half the price, you will be laughing at the top up of fuel. Personally I'd never consider getting a moped and just go straight to a 125. I fill up the tank with a tenner and get 200 odd miles out of it. I commute 70miles a day and it costs me £4 in petrol there and back. I do ride at 55mph though and do not exceed this.

The size is lovely for a first bike. Its light and nimble and can corner well. It corners well as slow speeds too. For new experiences a light bike and being able to move around obstacles has saved me from a few problems in London.

It holds a lovely speed at around 35-50mph. This is to say that if you are doing 50mph you still have a bit of juice to accelerate a little fast in 5th gear. Normally thats the gear im in due to the bikes engine being so small.

Its quiet enough not to sound like a hair dryer and has a little pur to come across as a nice motorbike. ( you dont get that stigma of "chavs" on hair dryers )

Lovely smooth gear changing once warmed up. This is also a bad point.

Bad points?

If you are a confident rider and or half experienced bigger bikes then speed and acceleration is your enemy here. But be realistic, it is only a 125 with a few bhp. It isnt expected to do much more. How ever, when you are on those A roads ( if you still have L plates ) getting to 60mph is a struggle unless there is no wind and you are going on a flat road.

Getting to speeds of 70mph does not sound good. If you look, to get to 70 you are almost red lining it. I cant imagine that being healthy.

Odd unpredictable gear changing. When i change gears, unless its me, there is either sometimes a full complete ride with quiet smooth shift, or it sounds like its clunking through them all. Once or twice has it slapped back into Neutral after going 1-n-2. But that could be me.

Would you get another?

I love the model and shape of the bike but i wouldnt get another 125 if i could help it. The engine size and speed will always pull this bike down.

Any other comments?

easy to maintain with so far cheap parts. The clutch is easy to adjust when it becomes loose and all you need to do is keep it lubed up.

A definitely worthy bike to get as a new rider and i would definitely never consider looking at mopeds when you can get a 125.

I was in exactly the same boat that's why I brought my 2012 model brand new. I find the gearbox does exactly the same as yours, some times clunky some not also popping into neutral.

As said the mpg is good, I don't think I have ever had it under 100mpg and I don't ride like a commuter LOL, I use this bike for fun! Beats almost anything away from the lights and will sit at 60mph ok.

Great little bike, I'm considering an xj6 for my next bike! Needs more power.

haha i couldnt agree more with you.

the commuting is a bit of the reason why i get so much mileage out of it.... its actually takes a lot of patience to stick at 50mph! I just want to twist back the throttle and power house down the road.... but that'd still get me 62mph on a good day :o

Ahh i didnt mention that but your right! Traffic lights and filtering. the only time i struggle is if some douche bag tries to race me. I dont race back, but when your intention is to get in front it doesnt work as well lol.

Exactly what im looking at. :cheers:

I realised there are a few variations of the XJ6. I love the shape and model of them. Ive look at other makes ( god forbid ) and just cant see anything as appealing as Yamahas.

Naked and the Diversion range.

I have my eyes on the XJ6 Diversion F. ( this time i dont mind a second hand bike with reasonable mileage and MOT/SERVICE history )

Send me a link to what you have your eyes on, im always open to opinion :)

Well Ive got my eye on a GSX650f which is near me but still a year until my unrestricted licence!

Only thing I don't like about the diversion f is the headlight it's the side light at the top, just don't like it... The naked tho, yesss please

Just recently got rid of my ybr. Couple of other points:

- the headlights at night are near useless

- brakes are a bit woeful.

All that said, the engine is really incredible on this bike. Starts on the button every time, in every weather. Sips at the motion lotion and is great for filtering as its really very light and nimble. As previously mentioned, the gear box has some niggles. It's easy to find neutrals between 3rd and 4th, but you get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 2012 Model - 13 Plate - YBR125 - bought brand new

Its a great little runner, my first bike, cruises nicely at 55mph without much shaking at 7,500rpm and still has some kick left after that.

I've put £20 worth of Petrol in it and its done 415 Miles. It had 4l in when I bought it.

Nice for weaving in and out of traffic, and wonderful on corners (Its very agile)

I do 54 miles a day to work and back + any personal errands, and it hasn't shown a single issue.

My only quarrel with it, is that when I tried to push it to redline to see what it could do, I got stuck at 62mph and 8.5k rpm.

I'm still running it in so I'm sticking to 7.4k rpm max at the moment, once it hits 600 miles though I'll be testing it out on some different roads.

Slightly jealous...

I have the 2009 model and it seems the niggles still haven't been worked out. Done 3k Miles in about 10 weeks and it hasn't skipped a beat. Even when I got knocked off it happily started first time and got me 170miles to home.

In for a service tomorrow, lets see the outcome...

Also have the same issue with the gear box, definately going to be getting an XJ6 but i've decided to keep this bike around as a backup/get-around-town! Plus I can take it apart piece by piece to start teaching myself the proper maintenance.....win-win!

• 3 months later...
Well Ive got my eye on a GSX650f which is near me but still a year until my unrestricted licence!

Only thing I don't like about the diversion f is the headlight it's the side light at the top, just don't like it... The naked tho, yesss please

Don't regret buying my GSX650F as a first 'proper' bike for a second. Superb bike and an affordable price, even new! It will be a stepping stone but to cut my teeth on I can't fault it.

• 3 months later...

Don't regret buying my GSX650F as a first 'proper' bike for a second. Superb bike and an affordable price, even new! It will be a stepping stone but to cut my teeth on I can't fault it.

Well I've changed my mind, bargain priced diversion local to me, in the process of acquiring it :P

• 1 month later...

My first bike which I've clocked over 2k miles on now is the legendary ybr125 the black one minus the rubbish label on the side!

Debating to go unrestricted as opposed to driving license!!! Tough one lol

Clunking gears and false neutrals are minor issues but you just need to be aware of them

My accelerator box is coming of for the second time although I think that's me pulling on the accelerator grip when pulling it up off the floor at the gas station!

Dumping the clutch was scary at first but the bike doesn't take off if there's no gas lol

It has a horrible mechanical rev noise in first which changes to an appealing brupbrupbrup when your in a higher gear and your bikes just gaining momentum.

Nimble round corners and great at overtaking slow cars, annoying when cars speed match as the ybr lacks real power

1st only 15mph at a loud push

Still love her and get excited about lubing her up ;)

I'd like to add my experience with my Black 2012 YBR 125.

I find that commuting get's me about 330miles on a tank, topping up from empty to full takes about 12.5 litres as I really do fill it and use it all between fills. the bike will keep going until the needle literally hits the "E". The Red area can give you 100 miles.

I find that when travelling long distance, the fuel efficiency drops. I'd say when I'm travelling to and from cumbria from my location, the bike will near empty after 220 miles.

0-30mph in probably 4-6 seconds depending on road/weather conditions for traction and air resistance, confidence in dumping clutch, weight of rider, and using the full rev range and shifting quickly. Which means leaving cars at traffic lights is great. Feels good to leave almost any car behind. But when you see a nice 650 pull up beside you, just embrace the shame. That Bike will be long gone before you are in second gear.

The 0-60 however is probably about 18-20 seconds using the above variables for me. though lots of wind will see the bike struggling to pass 55mph.

I will say it's very annoying to take on motorways. Stay in the first lane unless you can take advantage of a decline! you're always in top gear on the motorway unless you change down to fourth to try and gain an extra few mph in the last few thousand of the rev range.

So bear in mind that you will pretty much always have throttle pinned, and when you hit even a slight incline, get ready to see cars overtaking you like you're a piece of shit as you start slowing to 60 or even 50mph. though I can say you won't drop below 50. but you still won't want that happening in any lane other than first!

It is exciting however, when you hit a decline! Because I've literally hit 90mph on the speedo, which is probably more like 80-85mph. Surprisingly I was still just above the red line! But not a nice scream at all! So I would say avoid that.

A 125 will keep you excited for a while, but you will quickly become hungry for more power and speed.

I'm happy to say that I am purchasing a Kawasaki Ninja 300 this summer, so I am looking forward to 40bhp over my current 10bhp :-P

and doing 0-60 in 6 seconds :-)