Tracer 900 compared to MT10, BMWs and my old Fazer FZS600

Valko

I have test rode Yamaha Tracer 900 today.

No photos taken so here is a stock one:

http://www.ignitionlive.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Yamaha-1-4.jpg

Bar position and seat it is very similar to BMW 1000XR. Again you have the feeling you are riding very good sofa.

I am 6 foot and there is plenty of room. The pegs are very comfty with more than enough leg room. I was expecting the seat to feels higher. It is not. For that type of bike it feels lower then the BMW S1000XR position. I like that. On XR you are just too high.

Compared to MT10 pegs looks lower. On a sharp bends you have the feeling you may scrap some pegs.

It has similar to MT10 traction control. Again STD mode was my preffered one with smootest power delivery. Does not have quickshifter.

The bike feels very light. Not MT10 light, but for a such big bike it is very light.

This bike will be great tourer. On the motorway it does 70 mph at 4500 rpm in 6th gear. Having said that this is too high geared for my taste. Because it is not very great on the traffic lights gran prix. Nothing that 1 tooth less in the front sprocket can't sort out.

Fairing is very good. Apart from the fact that sends all the wind in my helmet which makes more wind noise. Again if you plan to do any motorway probably you must wear ear plugs anyway.

It has ginormous handle bar wind shields. That will make winter riding more pleasant. One small problem London filtering. The shields plus the bar ends make it too wide.

Suspension is very good. It is firm. Not MT10 firm though.

The seat is hard but comfortable. Better than MT10 for sure.

Now the engine. Something is missing here. Probably one cylinder. Everything else seems right.

The engine pulls very good. The bike has more than enough power. Still for some reason this engine does not makes me happy.

FYI I had same feeling when I rode Triumph 800 XrX. I suspect its personal between me and triples. The problem is I have the feeling that I ride a sewing machine. It has all the right pulls when I use the throttle. The sound coming from it is just uncanny. Also the pull of the engine is not exactly the same as inline fours when you do higher revs. There is kind of hesitation to go high revs.

The main reason why I probably will not get a tripple engined bike. Some people may like it.

In summary this is one very capable bike, great value for money. Not my cup of tea though.

There was no MT10 effect here, because MT10 was much more uncomfortable after two hour my bum was sore on its hard seat. But I was still smiling after it :lol:

I am afraid not much smiles here for me.

Final rating:

1. Handling & steering - MT10, S1000R, XR, Fazer, 900 Tracer, 1200RS

2. Engine and power delivery - MT10, S1000R, XR, Fazer, 900 Tracer, RS - note obviously the 1200RS and 900 Tracer both has more power than the Fazer I just do not like the engines (RS twin and Tracer tripple) for my riding style.

3. Seat and position - Fazer, seat XR, 1000R, position 1000R beats XR for me, 900 Tracer, 1200RS, last one is still MT10.

4. Look - draw for all from the front look, side look - 1000R, XR, RS, 900 Tracer, Fazer, MT10.

5. Sound - S1000R, MT10, Fazer, 1200RS, 900 Tracer, XR - note I am not a fan of low rumbling Harley style sound. For you it may be the RS. S1000R has really nice sound in high revs. MT10 in STD mode sound is good, switch to A mode and its get ugly you get the impression nuts and bolts will be flying any moment.

6. Fun factor - MT10 is the winner hands down. Than follow closely S1000R, XR, RS, RR, Fazer and last here is 900 Tracer. I am afraid even the old Fazer puts more smile for me than the new 900 Tracer.

The final conclusion - I am still keeping the Fazer. Still fast and sharp enough when needed and does 50 mpg and comfty.

If you want a bike for long touring you need the XR.

If you need fun and track days get MT10.

I am temped by S1000RR as short commuter/fun bike too.

MT10 in some tourer faired version with better seat is probably the bike I will like the most. The only problem is Yamaha is not doing it yet...