street triple r 2013 (new model )

Forum rules
Please try to cover the areas listed below to give a complete overall review. This information, along with other reviews can inform and guide other members when choosing a motorcycle to purchase. Please remain factual and specific. 'It's shit' isnt adequate!

What model was it?
When did you buy it and how much did it cost?
Good points?
Bad points?
Would you get another?
Any other comments?
Attach a picture if you wish.

REMEMBER - PLEASE USE A SEPARATE THREAD FOR EACH REVIEW!

REPLY TO THREADS ONLY TO ASK FOR MORE INFORMATION FROM ORIGINAL POSTER.

EVEN IF YOU WANT TO DO A REVIEW THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE BY SOMEONE ELSE... PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD.

THANK YOU
stewslash
Bike(s): street triple

street triple r 2013 (new model )

Post by stewslash » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:18 pm

I bought the bike new from bill smiths in chester having been on a gsf 600 s (bandit)

what model
2013 stret triple r

milage

Extras
Fly Screen
OEM LED Indictors

The seems to be a few reviews on here for this bike in its older versions so i will just point out the differences between the two from what i can make out

standard equipment on 2013 that wasnt on 2012
Immobiliser
Digital Fuel Gauge
Trip Computer with range /overall mpg/ instant mpg

optional equipment that wasn't available on 2012 model
ABS
Tyre pressure monitors

i have rode the previous -2012 model and i am 100 miles into the engine break-in and so far my initial impressions so far!
engine
Absolutely bags or torque even though i havent been over 5k revs yet due to breake-in, it will pull like hell in any gear and had a lovely tone to it with a deep growl under hard acceleration that the previous model didn't have, the gearbox feels really tight and precise
It does have a taller first gear over the -2012 models which make the bike less willing to wheelie off the throttle but i can live with that
Tickover is quiet high but i am putting that down to being on break-in map

Suspension/Handling/Brakes
Apparently the 2013 model had a revised frame,swing-arm and lighter rear brakes but to be honest i didn't really notice much difference between the -2012 model and the 2013- model,, but compered to my bandit it feels like a feather, its so much lighter and much more flickable into the corners
I am still a novice rider and the confidence the bike gives me is 10 fold over my old bandit , i feel really comfortable leaning it over into a corner on a crappy cold winters day, much more than i ever did on a hot summers day last year on the bandit
The brakes are great they are really powerful and more or less feel the same as the -2012 model but i feel the initial bite on the front brake of my bike a tad harsh but this might calm down after the pads have fully bedded in

Styling
Although this is my personal opinion i much prefer the new model styling i think ditching the twin under seat exhaust for the single underslung exhaust is a winner and the new rad cowels give the bike a more aggressive look

Good Points
that torquey engine, no up and down the box in town traffic like i was with the bandit
feather like weight that just inspires confidence
really comfortable riding position
mega powerful brakes
Updated more modern styling
Added fuel gauge over the -2012 model

bad points
very little in the way of wind protection even with the fly screen
switch gear is unchanged and indicators can be a bit awkward
new style mirrors dont give great rear view

would it get another
yes if it was to be stolen yes i would be straight down the dealers to get another

as the bike isnt run-in yet i will report back after first service :D

pic was before led indicators where fitted, tail tidy , crash bungs and paddock stand bobbins to come :lol:

priest
Bike(s): Vulcan Classic 900
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: street triple r 2013 (new model )

Post by priest » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:20 pm

indeed, triple :mrgreen:
Challenge 2013 completed

stewslash

Post by stewslash » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:29 pm

priest wrote:indeed, triple :mrgreen:
yea dunno how that happened

ManInASuitcase
Bike(s): Honda CB1000R

Post by ManInASuitcase » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Nice one.
Hope you got some riding in today in the dry.

bakes0310

Post by bakes0310 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 am

How you getting on with the bike?
I really do love the look of the new Street Triple R and would of bought one. But the bike aint practical for me as i would need to get a top box for it, and that would look horrible on the bike. So i bought a Tiger 800XC instead, as you can see in my review.
How many miles do you get on a full tank?

stewslash

Post by stewslash » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 pm

bakes0310 wrote:How you getting on with the bike?
I really do love the look of the new Street Triple R and would of bought one. But the bike aint practical for me as i would need to get a top box for it, and that would look horrible on the bike. So i bought a Tiger 800XC instead, as you can see in my review.
How many miles do you get on a full tank?
loving the bike mate, i had 600 bandit before this and the power and wight difference is unreal and i haven't been able to ring its neck yet due to run in period

Phil
Bike(s): Suzuki SV650 (Pointy)

Post by Phil » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Any chance of a long term update?
“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Return to “Triumph Reviews”