On Friday 30th October I will be taking the forum offline at around 1.45pm as the forum is getting moved to a new server

Any questions then feel free to post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73786

Cameron Barker soft panniers

Forum rules
Please use this section of the forum to share your OWN PERSONAL reviews of products you have tried and tested.

Title: Please use the product name

Main Text: Please include product name, model, price and when bought, good points, bad points, recommendation. Please be factual in your review of your experiences of the product.

Examples of what to include:

Helmet - make, how comfortable it felt, how easy to fasten/unfasten, how easy to remove visor.
Tyres - make, how many miles they lasted, how confident did they make you feel when cornering, how quick did they heat up.
Luggage - type, make, how easy to fit, how much does it carry.

Include: brand name, model, price, good points and bad points and whether you would recommend this product or not.
Exclude: direct url links to shops/businesses that sell the product - all links will be removed in accordance with site rules.

Thank you in advance for the time and effort that goes into writing reviews. The information in this section will prove invaluable to everyone!
iiisecondcreep
Bike(s): gsxr 600 srad / VFR750
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Cameron Barker soft panniers

Post by iiisecondcreep » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:35 pm

As we are planning on taking the bikes down to Cornwall I decided to invest in some panniers. Following the review in Ride magazine in which they were awarded "Best Buy" I decided to get the Cameron Barker panniers from Bering.

First impressions were good- plenty of space in them and felt well made.

Their first test was a ride down to the borders for an overnight stay. They were around 1/3-1/2 filled. They were a bit of a pain to fit as there aren't many points to attach them too on the VFR. After having done around 200miles I took them off the bike so we could go and get some lunch (no way of locking them closed), at which point I noticed that the material had worn through completely where a bungee cord from my tailpack had been and that the stitching had burst in 2 places, each about 1" long.

As soon as I got home I contacted the retailer, arranged to return the panniers and had them replaced very quickly.

Due to the weather and my bike being in the garage the replacement only had their first test yesterday. They had less in them than our borders trip and as I never had my tail pack there were no bungee cords going over them. Our first stop was after 70miles, at which point I checked the panniers and they were already wearing through where the edge was resting against the bike.

Its not that obvious from the picture but you can still see a bit that it is wearing through (it wasn't resting against the bungee cord, only against the fairing).

By the time we got home both panniers had holes where they had been resting against the fairing

Good points:
Waterproof without covers
Easy enough to fit to bike
Good size

Medium points:
No way of securing them closed with a padlock or anything so risky leaving them on the bike if its out of site.

Bad points:
They are rubbish! I've had 2 sets and both have had holes in with less than 200miles use.

Would I recommend? Absolutely not.
VFR starting mileage 2012: 29,995
VFR starting mileage 2013: 34,086

Fast Eddie
Bike(s): CBR929RR

Re: Cameron Barker soft panniers

Post by Fast Eddie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Makes you really wonder about how Ride test their products. It's not like the VFR750 is a particularly odd shape.

Throttled
Subscriber
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 504 times

Post by Throttled » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks Gayle, I was thinking about them for the KLE500, glad I went with the Weise Expander ones which have taken a lot of abuse.
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

Raptor8

Post by Raptor8 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanks a bunch for the review. I've had a string of bad buys recently and this review has steered me away from a potentially bad purchase. I think it will be the oxford 60's for me then.
Cheers.

Raptor8

Post by Raptor8 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:13 pm

So glad you posted this review as i was going to get them. Thanks for the review. Also found this for anyone interested in another daming review of this product. http://therenegadespark.com/2014/09/02/ ... -panniers/

fullscreenaging
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by fullscreenaging » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:40 am

Cough
viewtopic.php?t=55045
What the whole world farted at once?

iiisecondcreep
Bike(s): gsxr 600 srad / VFR750
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by iiisecondcreep » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:03 am

Raptor8 wrote:Thanks a bunch for the review. I've had a string of bad buys recently and this review has steered me away from a potentially bad purchase. I think it will be the oxford 60's for me then.
Cheers.
I ended up getting a 2nd hand set of oxford X60's off of ebay (and my OH is using the oxford sport which i think are 30L), they've done us several day trips and a heavily laden trip to Cornwall and back! They've got good big zip rings so we bought a load of cable locks and looped them through all the zip rings and onto the bikes so we could leave the panniers on the bikes unattended (and also meant I could secure on my little back pack rather than have to wear it). Also they have pockets on the outside and inside. I should have done a review of the oxfords, I'd definitely recommend them.

All cable locked up:
VFR starting mileage 2012: 29,995
VFR starting mileage 2013: 34,086

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 4069 times
Been liked: 3548 times

Post by Stu » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:35 am

Deso wrote:Cough
http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... hp?t=55045

I highly recommend these :D
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

Raptor8

Post by Raptor8 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, endorsments and offers. x60 it is then.....BLACK!! :D OH and some security cables.

Return to “Luggage Reviews”