Michelin Pilot Road 4 - on track

Mr Fro

Towards the end of last year a friend asked me to join him on his first noddy track day at Snet. The weather was a bit scabby at the time so I scratched about for some second hand wets but failed to find any. I already had some PR4 on my road zx6r and have been well impressed by them so reasoned that I could get another set and use them as an intermediate on the ZXR for track purposes. If they were crap then I could always use them on the road bike.

The day was cold and misty with a damp/greasy track which improved slightly throughout the day. I took it easy for the sighting laps as the tyres were brand new. By half way through the second session I was able to chuck the bike about no problems. I set the pressures to 30psi F/R and found the grip excellent. I was able to trail brake hard right up to the apex of the corners and slap my knee down with ease. There were a couple of moments early on - a little bit of wash from the front tipping in and a teensy slide powering out - probably where I was pushing my luck on the new rubber. After that it was all gravy. :-)

All in all, I was really happy I used them. I was a few seconds off my normal lap times but in fairness I'd barely done any riding all year and there was quite a lot of traffic.

Anyway, here's how they looked by the end of the day, a bit of yellowing on the wall where they got hot and some wear on the spies:

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0422.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0424.jpg

Should have tried a slightly lower pressure that slide might have gone all together :D

Although saying that you have nice wear on the rubber so you have a decent setup there

What sizes are you running? 120/70 and 180/55? I could get my mate to keep an eye open for some wets

I stuck 30 in as the walls are pretty rigid compared to pure track tyres and didn't want the walls to crease or fold and nasty things to happen. :-)

It was the first run out with the new suspension too - wish I'd taken a few more tools as the front was a little high but never mind.

Those sizes are right - if your chum has some good looking scrubs I'd be interested. :thumb:

whats your budget for them?

He wont have any as he runs a 160 rear but he will have a word in the paddock although most people tend to keep hold of them till they are shagged except for the rich mammy and daddies boys :lol:

whats your budget for them?

He wont have any as he runs a 160 rear but he will have a word in the paddock although most people tend to keep hold of them till they are shagged except for the rich mammy and daddies boys :lol:

Budget? Not much - I'm still getting earache about buying: new suspension, a lathe, a pillar drill, tool chest, loads of tools, bench grinder, more tyres, new welder... you get the idea. :-D

My supercorsas are 160 so the same size wets would work great - no buggering about with suspension.