Bridgestone S20

Matt Strange

Easy, short review, definitely the best tyres I've ever had on a bike . I've ridden in all sorts of conditions, bar track, on these tyres & haven't wanted for anything, the grip, turn in, feedback, braking stability is all spot on. Only thing is that I can't comment on is the wear rate as such, 1000 miles and they have at least 4-5mm tread left so o.k. so far.

Fitted to Honda CBR900RR'S' Fireblade, 1995 model (if you look in the reviews section, the Fireblade 20th anniversary I took out for a spin had them fitted too - Hence why I wanted to try them on my bike! 8-) ).

130/17 R16, 180/55 R17 £275 fitted

I've had previously: Dunlop sportmax, Avon Storm II, Michelin pilot road 3, Bridgestone BT-016, BT-016 pro, BT-020

Why would that be exactly?. Some people rave about Avon Storm II ultra and they were one of the worst performing tyres in a recent magazine test.

I just didn't really like the profile on the pilots, too flat in the middle and almost as if the Michelin was squared off from new & a had a bit of a "step". The bridgestones are rounder, feel more progressive to me when leaning the bike over, plus they seem to be keeping their shape well so far. Besides, do Mich make a 16 inch front for a Fireblade?

The Bridgestone S20s are newer tech for starters and they are Bridgestones newest premium road "hypersports" fast road tyre, a step closer to track day tyres than the BT-023 it appears you have on your own bike for example. The p3 is a sports touring tyre, is it not? If I had a tourer I would have gone for the BT-023 too, I can't see why you bought them considering you: have a FZ-1, apparently ride quicker than I do on the road & didn't like Bridgestone tyres beforehand - forgive me if I'm wrong there?.

I have tried both tyres before & went for the one I felt was better from experience - the Michelins on my 1098s & the Bridgestones on the new blade. I was probably one of the first to have the P3 fitted as they were hyped up to be as good as a fast road tyre. If I hadn't test rode the new blade with the s20, I would have still given the s20 the benefit of the doubt. Even though that is a bit of a risk, as they are similar profile to the old BT-016 (not the pro, they wore out <2500 miles). Now discontinued?

• 11 months later...
Yeah....dunno if you can compare the S20 with the PR3's.......a sports tyre vs a touring tyre?.......maybe the better comparison would be the S20 vs Pilot Sports?....... :wink:

Yeh and bridgestone should win that if the pilot road 2's I have on now are owt to go by, there not bad but the previous bridge stones were way better.

Will be seeing what's on offer next march.