Michelin Pilot Road 4

Mr Fro

I put PR4 on my ZX6r a couple of months ago to replace the ageing Bridgestone BT016 tyres.

I spent ages dilly-dallying about, wondering if I should go for these or the Pilot Power as I wanted something that would suit my riding style and look the part. After reading the reviews and talking to a trusted bike mechanic I took the plunge.

I was concerned that they would be a bit too sports tourer for my liking but having done ~1.5K mile on them in various road conditions I’m really glad I got them.

Dry grip is very good through the lean angles – easily enough for a bit of knee down action. I’ve only given them some real stick once, about 500 miles in and they stuck like glue. Not even the slightest wobble or slide through the corners - the bike feels really nimble, planted and flicks from side to side very easily. They don’t heat up super-fast but after 10 miles or so they’re good to go.

Wet grip is soooo much better than the Bridgestones – very confidence inspiring! There’s plenty of feedback under braking and I’ve yet to feel the back start to go while pushing out of a corner.

I’ve only used these on the road so far so can’t comment on their track ability but I reckon they’d make a good wet tyre given their multi compound construction, tread pattern and wet grip levels.

My only slight (and I mean slight) niggles are that due to the tread pattern, the front squirms a bit under very heavy braking and with the OEM pressures they can feel a bit skittish on the motorway in high winds.

These set me back around the £280 mark fitted and unless something spectacular comes out I’ll be fitting them again.

1.5K in and looking like new:

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/IMAG0409.jpg

Looks like you still have some lean to go ;)

They don't sound too much more than the pr3's but look pretty much identical.

I'm kind of wondering how much real difference there is for any extra outlay?

Looks like you still have some lean to go ;)

They don't sound too much more than the pr3's but look pretty much identical.

I'm kind of wondering how much real difference there is for any extra outlay?

Well, they're one more, obviously. ;-)

I have them on my Storm and love them

They reckon MORE longevity over the 3's and they are stiffer to stop squirming on the edge of the tread, the 3's had sypes going to the edge, the 4's have fewer, and more in the centre of the tyre

They certainly feel firmer to me, but my 3's were on a different bike so it's hard to judge.