Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC

Mr Fro

These went on my ZXR750 track bike a couple of weeks ago to replace the Dragon SC that it came with. I don’t know how many days the old ones had done but they were from 2008 and had started to get some scary looking cracks on the wall. They didn’t look particularly worn even though I did a few days on them myself and regularly use the bike for commuting. I’ve heard people say that they get hundreds of miles out of them before they need replacing but given I’d done a few hundred on track and probably a couple of thousand on the road, I think it’s a bit of a fallacy.

I can’t say enough good things about these - with SC1 on the front and SC2 on the rear I’ve never felt such a good tyre. I honestly thought the Bridgestone BT016 were good but the Supercorsa blow them out of the water.

In the dry these are fantastic, super levels of grip from edge to edge with a decent bit of warning to let you know they’re near the limit. I used these for a week of commuting (~50 miles) before taking them on the track and I had no problems whatsoever with slipping and sliding.

On the road these are great, loads of feedback and hugely confidence inspiring. They’re nice and warm (sticky to the touch) after my mammoth 5 mile commute so anything after that is game on! They’re not great in the wet though because they’re pretty much slick in the middle of the tread. I have used them in the wet and didn’t have any problems but I was aware that they are predominantly a dry tyre so took it quite easy.

On track these are even better and warm up after a lap or two (I don’t use tyre warmers). They’re quite forgiving and let you hold your line at silly lean angles. These are easily better tyres than I am a rider, when getting on the power early at Agostini at Snetterton the rear just starts to slide out but keeping on the power saw me hammering out of the corner like a boss! Even when I out braked myself coming up to Brundle and took an unplanned excursion, the front held fast while I was hard on the brakes and the back wheel was well in the air. All it gave me was a bit of a squirm to let me know I was getting near the limit. In fairness, this was probably due to the extra heavy pie I had at lunch, not any sort of misjudgement on my part. :-)

For £340 these are expensive but worth every penny for those who want super sticky rubber and have few wet riding days.

Fully bedded in after a couple of sessions on track:

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/IMAG0411.jpg

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/Mr_Fro/IMAG0412.jpg

• 1 year later...