BT Interphone comms system. £63 for 2 off eBay. This review is tried, not yet fully tested.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41myBKMVGfL._SX385_.jpg

I went for this product primarily on the strength of the Amazon reviews and its simplicity. I want something so I can chat to my son when he joins me for ride outs as a pillion.

GOOD - It was easy to fit the our helmets. The velcro that holds the speakers in place is very effective and I found for both helmets the speaker works fine under the padding, so it does not rub against your ear. The wires are a good length so you can position the speakers where you want them, but you are not left with tons of wire to tuck away. The clip feels secure and the unit clips into that nicely. The reception is really good and we were wondering all around the house and could hear each other easily. The controls are so simple to use for intercom duties. Build quality feels good.

MEDIUM - The instructions are not great and we had a bit of figuring out to do, but with the simple controls it was not hard to get going.

BAD - the clip is not the best and two have snapped. They are not sold separately and so super glue and bits of cable tie to act as reinforcement was used to repair them. Once you put the clip on the helmet, my advice would be to leave it there.

TO BE DONE - using my phone with it for music. I cannot see me using my phone for calls as that would be too distracting. Wet weather testing. Testing at speed. Battery life.

Edited by Throttled

• 2 weeks later...

Used it a lot today as an intercom. For an hour we had it switched on all the time and just chatted. It is fine to about 60mph and then shouting and repeats are needed to hear each other over that speed. If anything the sound was better with ear plugs in as that reduced wind noise. When just using it when required it was like it dialled the other intercom and sometimes it would take a couple of attempts to get through.

My microphone functioned fine whether I had the chin bar up or down. So very pleased.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thought about trying mine with ear plugs in but wondered if I'd actually be able to hear my mate talking.

My new bike has a very loud exhaust which makes things a little difficult communicating when at 60+

That aside, when I used this product on my 125 it was brialliant. Lasted us both on a 6 hour ride!

Thought about trying mine with ear plugs in but wondered if I'd actually be able to hear my mate talking.

My new bike has a very loud exhaust which makes things a little difficult communicating when at 60+

That aside, when I used this product on my 125 it was brialliant. Lasted us both on a 6 hour ride!

Ear plugs are a must mate if you want to save your hearing, they'll also help you maintain better concentration whilst riding. Earplugs are designed to cancel out the high frequency ear damaging noises, you should still be able to hear the coms system no problem.

I have only used them when I am out with Throttled Jnr so we can speak. The issue we have had is the clip snapping, which has been fixed with super glue and a bit of cut up cable tie to reinforce the break.

Ear plugs are essential because you also get the noise from the other helmet through the speakers!

• 1 month later...

Looking at getting this set. Can someone confirm that they are truly hands free? I mean once intercom is connected to other rider you don't have to press any buttons, just talk?

Hi you have to press to connect and disconnect to talk your passenger and other riders. There is no vox switching - voice activation, that only works when you answer the phone. Not an issue really you soon get use to it

Used it a lot today as an intercom. For an hour we had it switched on all the time and just chatted.

So you can leave it connected and chat without having to press anything? That's what I'm after...

Some are different spec's to others that one stand corrected, good for 800m in line of site this falls dramatically in built up area's

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a set for between my dad and myself... separate bikes and spot on for about 500-600m. I got the newer edition which I found for about £56 (posted from China) which incorporated and FM radio too which is nice when riding on your own. Battery life seems spot on. Only charged once since I got them as I was going for a two day trip. Probably had 6-8 hrs radio listening from them after 3-4 hours talking before I charged (not that they needed it!).

For the money I am very impressed. Ordered another pair so that either my dad of myself can use them with our pillions. Shame you can only link 3 together... 4 would be ideal!

Only problem for me is lack of clearance in front of lips to chin bar so the speaker is a bit close to my face... OK after a while!

• 1 year later...

I am giving them up. The part to latch onto the helmet keeps breaking and we lose volume so after a couple of hours we cannot hear each other. When they do work they are very good, but they don't last even with occasional use.