New pipes.....so sweeeet!

mailee66

Well after asking on here for info on a new set of pipes for my 750 Virago I bit the bullet and bought a set. They are a stainless set for a company called Sandy's bike spares who have a shop on E-bay and at £300 notes not too bad price wise. I was worried about the sound being too loud for the neighbours after hearing my friends Vance and Hines pipes on his Harley. shouldn't have worried as these sound perfect! they are a bit louder than the standard 'pea shooter' pipes I had but have a really nice deep throaty sound like a proper 'V' twin. I was also worried about removing the old pipes, especially the studs on the down pipes but with some tips off you guys on here I sprayed them well with Plus Gas over a couple of days and this did the trick. They were almost as clean as a whistle and came off very easily. Taking the old pipes off proved a bit of a fiddle but easier than I had read on some forums. (those things weigh a ton!) should get a few more MPG without all that weight. LOL.

fitting the new pipes was pretty easy and the only problem encountered was how tight the silencers fitted onto the down pipes and I had to drift them on with a block of wood and a mallet. Everything lined up perfectly and the fit around the frame was spot on. I had ordered a set of gaskets for them but they hadn't arrived in time so I was very lucky to find the gaskets were in good condition and could re-use them both. As I was tightening up the system the 'postie' arrived with the new set! Doh!

I struck the bike up before everything was tight to make sure it didn't blow and sure enough it didn't but I instantly fell in love with the sound WOW! it was so sweeeet! :D

I have to say that the system is a very good quality with being all stainless steel with double skinned down pipes and good welding on the brackets. It is also much thicker steel than I expected and has a good solid mounting on the bike. Only two gripes I can think of and that is a shame they don't include the gaskets and The Haynes manual is next to useless for this job! mind you I have found Haynes manuals rubbish for most jobs anyway. The Clymer manual is better but still not comprehensive on the exhaust.

Sorry no pics at the moment as it's doing the usual cats and dogs but will get some later when it fines up a bit.