Tutoro Automatic Chain Oiler

ApolloMozart

Maintaining the chain is one of the most important things a motorcycle owner has to do to keep the bike on the road. When you commute, and miles add up very quickly, cleaning and oiling the chain has to be done every week or so.

After a few cleaning and lubing operations I decided I need a chain oiler. From what I could find online, the Scottoiler was the one to go, but being a vacuum operated device it needed vacuum! The only vacuum point on the CBR500R is the pipe that balances the throttle bodies. Being hidden under the tank, it was not easily accessible and I wasn’t happy to dismount the fairings and remove the tank just to connect to the vacuum pipe. I could have got the Scottoiler electronic oiler, but it was about £170 when I looked at…

So an order was placed for the Tutoro auto chain oiler and for the Scottoiler's dual injector nozzle, which looks more robust that Tutoro’s own dual nozzle. Tutoro auto oiler is cheaper than the Scottoiler oiler and it requires no connections to vacuum or electrical feeds. It works when the bike moves, so no oil dripping when you run the engine in stationary traffic. It has a nice mounting bracket and can be mounted nearly anywhere on the bike, as long it’s not on on the swing arm and is slightly higher than the nozzle. I mounted mine behind the passenger foot peg mount, where the chances of being knocked over by my son when he rides with me are lower and also it is accessible to fill up and adjust.

In about 30 minutes the Tutoro chain oiler was installed, filled up and working! Went for a ride to check if the oil is being fed when the bike is moving and indeed it was! Over the next few days I checked and adjusted the oil flow and observed how the chain was lubed. The chain is always wet now and there is a lot less dust and dirt on it. The constant supply of oil keeps the chain a lot cleaner than I was able to do manually. There is a little bit of oil fling, which I clean from the rear wheel rim when I wash the bike, but it’s not getting onto the rubber to make cornering dangerous. A fill up of the oiler lasts about 500 miles, a little less when it’s wet though, as I turn up the flow in the rain.

I think this oiler is a very good investment for bikes that do a lot of miles in all weather. The chain is constantly lubed and cleaned so it should last longer. Same can be said about the sprockets - there’s a constant supply of oil and any dirt gets washed away.

When I get my new bike (hopefully this Sat) first thing I’ll do is to move the Tutoro chain oiler. It is a clever, cheap and practical way of keeping the chain and sprockets in top condition.

Recommended!

I was looking at these but decided against a chain oiler as i only ride for fun but i think may just have to get one as ive heard good reviews. Spicy110 on Youtube has done a review or two of this product and he seems happy.

Good info - nice to hear of a chain oiler that's not a scottoiler!

Have you got a link?

http://www.tutorochainoiler.com

It makes sense if you do a lot of miles. I do 200 miles a week so this oiler saves an hour each Saturday, when I was cleaning and lubing the chain manually. Now I can ride for fun that hour!