Oxford Hot Grips

Guest raabey

Just fitted the Oxford Hot Grips Premium (Sports). RRP is £80 (I think). They seem amazing.

- They have large buttons for gloves,

- have 5 heat settings,

- are very sticky grips,

- are wired straight to the battery! Don't worry about it running your battery flat since they turn off when the battery reads less than 10.5V, (actually turns off after it detects constant voltage. 10.5V limit is actually to prevent damage to the battery.

- are 123mm in length, and can be cut down to 114mm.

I fitted them yesterday so can't comment on reliability. I'm compared these to my old R&G heated grips. The right grip stopped heating so I decided to buy the oxfords.

My old grips took about 10 minutes until I could feel warmth through my gloves (on max setting), whereas the Oxford grips take under a minute until they are really hot (on max setting).

I doubt that I'll be using them on max heat. I'm excited to try these when it's tipping it down and my gloves are cold and soaked.

I'll post an update in a while about reliability.

Edited by Anonymous

Don't worry about it running your battery flat since they turn off when the battery reads less than 10.5V,

I dare you to test that then try starting your bike with 10.5v in the battery :mrgreen:

Don't worry about it running your battery flat since they turn off when the battery reads less than 10.5V,

I dare you to test that then try starting your bike with 10.5v in the battery :mrgreen:

Lol I think Phil had that problem.

Forgot to add the fact that they also turn off if they detect a constant voltage, i.e. when the bike is turned off.

Forgot to add the fact that they also turn off if they detect a constant voltage, i.e. when the bike is turned off.

and that is the main feature to prevent a flat battery not the 10.5v bit :wink:

a battery is considered flat at 10.5v

state of charge.jpg

I have had these for about 6 months and used them quite a bit, and a load recently. Even still using my summer gloves in this weather.

The voltage protection works by sensing that the battery is not being charged so when the voltage drops below 13.6v the unit goes into standby and turns off after 5 mins.

The whole 10.5v thing is for older bikes that have poor charging and if the grips sense that the battery drops to 10.5v they wont turn on, or turn them selves off if they are on so that they dont drop the batt any further as dropping below 10.5v some batteries cannot recover fully

Mine have been spot on and as said really too hot on 100%