Sinnis Trackstar - Rolling review

Forum rules
Please try to cover the areas listed below to give a complete overall review. This information, along with other reviews can inform and guide other members when choosing a motorcycle to purchase. Please remain factual and specific. 'It's shit' isnt adequate!

What model was it?
When did you buy it and how much did it cost?
Good points?
Bad points?
Would you get another?
Any other comments?
Attach a picture if you wish.

REMEMBER - PLEASE USE A SEPARATE THREAD FOR EACH REVIEW!

REPLY TO THREADS ONLY TO ASK FOR MORE INFORMATION FROM ORIGINAL POSTER.

EVEN IF YOU WANT TO DO A REVIEW THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE BY SOMEONE ELSE... PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD.

THANK YOU
Sableye

Sinnis Trackstar - Rolling review

Post by Sableye » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Hello!

I bought a Sinnis Trackstar in July 2012. I am keeping a rolling update of how it fares on the intertubes, and will repost my stuff here too. Aside from the first post, I will try to be concise with all my updates (done every service / 2000km). If the bike falls apart and rots, y'all get too hear about. If not... Well... Guess Sinnis can get some credit if its due ^^

First Impressions

The negatives.

The welds on the frame. They don’t look terrible, but they are certainly not as clean as the big name bikes. I am however paying half the price, my expectations were not high to start with. It doesn’t look like its going to fall apart. 'It will do'.

There is no fuel gauge. Knew that before I bought it. No biggy.

The speedo has MPH and KMH, but the distance is in Km. A touch annoying for a Brit who digs his Miles. :)

The manual is written in Engrish. I reckon Sinnis could do with converting the manual properly to English as it isn’t long and really does read badly in the badly translated form its currently in. One annoying example, the running in section. It says to keep the bike below 5,000 rpm for the first 800km, but the bike does not have a rev counter and it gives no indication of how fast you can ride in any gear to stay below 5,000 rpm. Not helpful.

It is incredibly slow. Literally 5th gear shift happens about 25mph - 30mph. Max speed you would actually want to push it too is somewhere between 50mph - 60mph. This is a super slow bike, however! Its 11bhp, 125cc 4 stroke, tiny (as yet untested by the masses) bike. If you bought this bike for speed, you are an idiot. :)

The last thing, Sinnis deliver their bikes in crates to the dealers. This can lead to some scuffing and bumping. On mine the front left indicator was bent. It does work. It will be replaced for free when I take it in for the first service. I am told this has happened on a few Trackstars. It does work, but they couldn't get the replacement in time for when I wanted to pick it up (and I am impatient dammit! NEW TOY! :) ).

The positives.

Without a doubt it is the bees knees looks wise. Nearly everyone I have met has liked the look of it despite the Sinnis badge (generally meaning Brit-Anese bike and everyone thinks it will rust before my eyes).

Its turning circle is ridiculously small. You could turn it on a penny.

The equipment, although basic, isn’t that bad. Its been a dry summer, and it rained the first day commuting on it. I was expecting to be sliding everywhere on the new tyres, but I didn’t notice any slipping. The brakes are a front disk brake, rear drum brake and both seem capable.

This is my first time with mirrors as high as the Sinnis' and the view behind you get is great.

It comes with a 2 year warranty which can be honoured if you have the first 2 services done by the dealer then do the rest of your servicing yourself. Bloody heck that’s heck of a bold warranty to offer. If they do honour it, fantastic. If not, I will tell you if I need to call on it. :)

Sableye

Re: Sinnis Trackstar - Rolling review

Post by Sableye » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:38 pm

First Service Report :

Motorbike Model : Sinnis Trackstar

Mileage
1002 km
602 miles

Max speed during running in : 30mph?
Max speed the bike feels unstrained : 40mph-45mph
Max speed the bike goes : 60mph-65mph
Max speed the bike goes off a cliff : Maybe 85mph-95mph - Untested

Notes :

Chain needs tightening every 500km (300'ish mile).
Front left indicators may come bent (common fault, replaced for free by dealer).

Negatives :

The Engrish manual.
Paint rubs off engine a little where boot rubs it. *
Speedo is in MPH/KPH - Odometer is only km.
Sinnis do not respond to emails at all. **
Frame welds are a touch messy.***

Positives :

Good fuel economy (about 90 - 100mpg).
High mirrors give excellent rear view.
Tiny tiny turning circle.
Looks good.
Wide bars make incredibly easy steering.
Very lightweight.

* Best fit explanation I have for the missing paint. Not 100% certain though.

** Sent an email to 3 of 4 email addresses on the website so far with no replies yet.

*** A touch overly critical, the bike certainly doesn't feel like its going to fall apart any time soon. Its entirely looks perspective.

Throttled
Subscriber
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Throttled » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:51 pm

Cracking review Sableye. All we need now are more pictures of things like the welds. :D
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

megawatt
Bike(s): Fazer 1000, GSX1100ET
Has liked: 618 times
Been liked: 507 times

Post by megawatt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Yeah , very well written mate. Keep an eye on those welds and try to get a look at the lower steering head bearing, some of em are delivered with free rust, but no grease. Also keep an eye on the exhaust system. The first sign of rust, clean it off and paint with barbecue paint. Good luck mate and great start :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bike work, I come to you and you can learn to do it yourself click the link below for more info
http://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 5&p=949652

Sableye

Post by Sableye » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Thankyou :)

Will take some piccys of frame welds tomorrow ^^

On rust, I have a keg of ACF 50.... And a paint roller... I reckon it should see me through winter... :P

I do think the bikes built a bit better than that, but taking no chances ^^

Sableye

Post by Sableye » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Posting delivery of welds pictures :)

I can see no cracks or weak spots, it just looks a bit messier in 2 - 3 spots than the rest of the bike, and compared to my previous bikes which had no welds as messy as these.

Nearly all the welds look fine, except the following spots.

Grab rail

Around suspension

Rear pegs

Nothing looks like its going to fall apart. It just looks messy is all. The rest of the bike is pretty fine with welds, and theres nothing else really messy about the bike.

Some other welds from about the bike.

Sorry about the dirt and dodgy mobile phone pics :)

Throttled
Subscriber
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Throttled » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:59 pm

I see what you mean. I did a bit of welding and all that is needed is to go over those welds with a grinding disc to tidy them up.
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

mattycoops43
Bike(s): 2000 VTR1000
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by mattycoops43 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Yes, but the way a weld looks tells you how strong it is. You should not HAVE to grind a weld down if it's done tidy. It's obviously all done by hand as opposed to robotic welding. This means it's quite possible to get a 'duff' weld on a bike (not picking on yours in particular).

None of those look like they are about to fall apart, but you are much more likely to get corrosion in the holes and voids, plus in a bump, more likely to pop apart. Personally I wouldn't worry about it apart from checking for corrosion more often.
Ramming speed Captain!

1980 Honda CB250RS
2000 VTR1000 Firestorm
1999 Fazer FZS600
1998 Yamaha XJ600N
1995 Honda CB750N2
1982 Suzuki GS550E
1985 Honda CX500
1980 Kawasaki Z200

Sableye

Post by Sableye » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:50 pm

mattycoops43 wrote:(not picking on yours in particular)
Pick on it all you like (as long as its fair picking :) ). At least theres some information / discussion on the bike for the next prospective Sinnis buyer who finds this rolling review, so they arnt buying blind :)

Sableye

Post by Sableye » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Rolling review update on the Trackstar, I gotta retest the MPG thing, 125mpg is deffo excessive! Secound Service update. Nothings fallen off or rotted... Yet! :cheers:

Bolded the updated bits.

Motorbike Model :

Sinnis Trackstar

Mileage
2888 km
1794 miles

Max speed during running in : 30mph?
Max speed the bike feels unstrained : 40mph-45mph
Max speed the bike goes : 60mph-65mph
Max speed the bike goes off a cliff : Maybe 85mph-95mph - Untested

Note on speed - On running in pre 1000km, I was gearing up too 5th about 26mph and it felt natural and unstrained. Between 1000km and 3000km, I was gearing up too 5th about 33mph. Kinda obvious its gonna be different after proper running in.

Notes :

Chain needs tightening after first 500km, then every 1000km (600'ish mile).
Front left indicators may come bent (common fault, replaced for free by dealer).

Negatives :

The Engrish manual.
Paint rubs off engine a little where boot rubs it. *
Speedo is in MPH/KPH - Odometer is only km.
Sinnis do not respond to emails at all. **
Frame welds are a touch messy.***

Positives :

Good fuel economy (about 90 - 100mpg, may have gotten 125mpg on Shell V Power, re-testing this).
High mirrors give excellent rear view.
Tiny tiny turning circle.
Looks good.
Wide bars make incredibly easy steering.
Very lightweight.

* Best fit explanation I have for the missing paint. Not 100% certain though.

** Sent an email to 3 of 4 email addresses on the website so far with no replies yet.

*** A touch overly critical, the bike certainly doesn't feel like its going to fall apart any time soon. Its entirely looks perspective.

BikerMooFromMars
Bike(s): Honda CBF 125 *dreams of an ER6F/Ninja*
Been liked: 1 time

Post by BikerMooFromMars » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:13 am

Muchly enjoyed the read, particularly enjoyed "Max speed the bike goes off a cliff : Maybe 85mph-95mph - Untested"
Hahahaha!
I was coveting a shiney new red Sinnis Vista for my first bike, but my dad beat me to it with the beefy Kymco Zing :up:
If you can park it & not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one!

georgea
Bike(s): Empty Garage 750.

Post by georgea » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Keeping my eye on this. Quite fancy one but was bitten by a Hyosung Hyper 10 years ago Korea should have been a half decent place to manufacture bikes. I wanted it to be good - but it was crap.
Chucking at the welding. Back in '78 we used to laugh at the bird droppings that constituted welding on Yamaha's. They didnt break, but looked scruffy. As for the trackstar please keep the updates coming. Cheers and ride safe.

LMG

Post by LMG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 am

Got an addition on the super slow bit; got mines to 70-72 (on a slight decline, a good road & little/no wind) twice or three times now.
Thrilling.:up:

georgea
Bike(s): Empty Garage 750.

Post by georgea » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:24 am

There's one on ebay at the moment on a 12 plate with 47 THOUSAND Km on it! - Is this the kick in the pods for those that say Chines bikes will fall apart?

Glorian
Bike(s): Yamaha XJ6 N SP
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Glorian » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:04 am

Sinnis suck
Last edited by Glorian on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love donuts

Return to “All Other Bike Reviews”