Sinnis Trackstar - Rolling review

Forum rules
Please try to cover the areas listed below to give a complete overall review. This information, along with other reviews can inform and guide other members when choosing a motorcycle to purchase. Please remain factual and specific. 'It's shit' isnt adequate!

What model was it?
When did you buy it and how much did it cost?
Good points?
Bad points?
Would you get another?
Any other comments?
Attach a picture if you wish.

REMEMBER - PLEASE USE A SEPARATE THREAD FOR EACH REVIEW!

REPLY TO THREADS ONLY TO ASK FOR MORE INFORMATION FROM ORIGINAL POSTER.

EVEN IF YOU WANT TO DO A REVIEW THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE BY SOMEONE ELSE... PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD.

THANK YOU
Sluiceman

Re: Sinnis Trackstar - Rolling review

Post by Sluiceman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:27 pm

I bought one in December to use as a winter hack. My mates think I'm mad, but I'm loving it. 100mpg+ and 70mph is possible and it looks quite funky. It's better than worrying about salt damage to my CBF1000 or dropping the CBF on an icy road.

I'm a year round, highish mileage rider (10,000 miles plus each year) and this little bike is a hoot. I've covered it in a mixture of ACF, high melting point grease, Agriwax and anti-seize so it should survive the salty North East roads reasonably well.

I've had some issues - droopy front indicator on delivery, the front brake fluid dropped alarmingly but has stabilised after top up, the rear indicator cables rubbed onto rear tyre after they slipped through the retaining clamp and the oil filler cap fell out after the 1000km service! BUT.......Sinnis replaced the indicators, without question inside of 24 hours and after 10 weeks it's covered 1700km and I've loved every minute.

I fitted a 30/30w halogen bulb, a set of heated grips (R&G) to keep my digits pain free and a volt meter to monitor the charging situation. The good news is that even with the lights on and the grips running flat out, the meter shows 13.5v plus across the battery.

I even stayed with two sports riders (CBF6, GSXR6) yesterday after they passed me on the approach to one of my favourite bends. Okay when the bend opened out they were gone in an instant but it was fun, slotting the little 'un into a safe, offset position through the left/right flick flack.

There's no doubt that there are some awful Chinese bikes out there but................this little Sinnis ain't one of them.

timmy164
Bike(s): BMW R1200R
Been liked: 3 times

Post by timmy164 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Any more news on this bike?
I like the story so far!
:D
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Sableye

Post by Sableye » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:46 pm

Ooops! Got distracted by shiny things and did not return to the forum. Sorry!

The bike recently semi passed away. It clocked up 67,500km 'ish (41,000 mile in real money) before the sump plug plate cracked and it suffered a seized engine. For a £1500 I think that’s quite good. Its lasted better than my neighbours CBF and has nothing else really wrong with the bike. Also it takes any GN based engine which can be had for less than £100 on ebay, to £420 for a brand new engine. Deffo a future project for the next time I have a week off work.

The welds never did break up, but the electrics hated anything out of the norm happening to them. Every theft attempt seemed to leave me with half a dozen gremlins appearing over the following weeks. The electrics and even the wiring holders appears to be more advanced on newer models with hoops all over the frame holding the loom on the Sinnis Retrostar, Cafe, and Scrambler.

If anyone wants to know the ins and outs and good and bad over the last 3 years, I can either copy pastes several large posts that I wrote about the Trackstar to here or provide links to them.

ryangump2003

Post by ryangump2003 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:01 pm

Read your review and went out and got a Trackstar. Your right the welds are rough, it's not quick (50mph topspeed) but I am about 5,11 and 17.5 stone! Fuel eco is amazing! 16 miles a day, 5 days a week. £5.00 a week on fuel!!

RantMachine
Bike(s): None... for now
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 628 times

Post by RantMachine » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:08 am

Glorian wrote:Good review thanks!

I'm buying a sinnis Cafe from a dealer not far from me, looks amazing, need to read more on the specs maybe run it a little bit, don't want to get a bike that sounds like a 50cc moped (you can never tell!) when i get it i will do the same and add a review (With my limited knowledge!) along with some pics.
Oh wow, this is a blast from the past! :laugh:
Disclaimer: RantMachine don't know shit

Glorian
Bike(s): Yamaha XJ6 N SP
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Glorian » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:10 pm

RantMachine wrote:
Glorian wrote:Good review thanks!

I'm buying a sinnis Cafe from a dealer not far from me, looks amazing, need to read more on the specs maybe run it a little bit, don't want to get a bike that sounds like a 50cc moped (you can never tell!) when i get it i will do the same and add a review (With my limited knowledge!) along with some pics.
Oh wow, this is a blast from the past! :laugh:
Forged
Last edited by Glorian on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love donuts

Glorian

Post by Glorian » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Hax
Last edited by Glorian on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love donuts

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 4065 times
Been liked: 3544 times

Post by Stu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:37 pm

lets not destroy ANOTHER thread eh!!
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

Mr Fro
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 978 times

Post by Mr Fro » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Glorian wrote:I ... will end you....
Happy ending? :shock:

Glorian

Post by Glorian » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Mr Fro wrote:
Glorian wrote:I ... will end you....
Happy ending? :shock:
Anything but!!!!! :evil:
I love donuts

BuckshawBiker
Bike(s): still looking

Post by BuckshawBiker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:28 am

Thanks guys for the reviews.

I am looking to get my first motorcycle (as yet, still to complete CBT) and after the Yamaha YBR 125 Custom, the Sinnis Trackstar attracts my attention.

Not into the whole racing track look, more the classic styling.

Have seen a few video reviews and it seems a good bike provided it is maintained (as would any).
There does seem to a bit of a statistical bias in that the Chinese bikes may be purchased by those who economise harder and therefore may not maintain them to such a high standard. Besides I understand Sinnis is a Brighton based company? Which makes me think, people diss Chinese phones, but the Apple phone is celebrated (though made in China).
All seems like marketing to me.

Provided it is safe, reliable, and comfortable, I don't really care who's name is on it; the 24 month warranty gives an extra blanket of comfort.
Will be visiting the garage shortly.

RantMachine

Post by RantMachine » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:59 am

I'll post the usual warnings once I get to work.
Tl;dr
Warranty is worthless
Bikes are unreliable and rust like crazy even when you look after them well
Parts availability falls away in months
Resale value is negligible
Source: I'm one of the resident Chinese bike survivors.

RantMachine

Post by RantMachine » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:18 am

Default response time:
RantMachine wrote:My Chinese bike was always serviced at a dealership, in line with their VERY FREQUENT service intervals. That gets expensive, I should note - writes off most of the money you saved on the bike. I also cleaned it regularly and did everything possible to keep the rust at bay.

Plastics cut into some of the wiring around the headstock after ~1 month. The CDI unit fell out the bottom of the bike after ~3 months. The intake rubber split after ~4 months. The speedo stopped working after ~6 months. The starter solenoid failed at ~2 months, ~5 months, and ~9 months. The fuel gauge never worked even remotely accurately despite several replacements. The bits with actual chrome peeled after a few months, and the varnish on the bits of fake chrome (aka varnished and painted plastic) lifted and the paint subsequently washed off leaving them a sort of matt yellowy cream colour after ~10 months. The front brake seized up after ~12 months, I tried to sort it myself but several parts had been done up so tightly that neither Tango nor I could get them off the bike, and the dealer insisted that it wasn't covered by the warranty. I contacted the manufacturer, who washed their hands of it and didn't even reply to me, just forwarded my email on to the dealer, who then got very pissed at me contacting the supplier!

After that I started servicing it myself and found a whole heap of problems, things like an ungreased axle that had rusted in place making changing the sprockets rather tricky. Also, the manufacturer had already stopped supplying many spares for the bike - had to use the front sprocket from a DR125 and stick a washer in to space it out properly. And the replacement chain (Lextek, word of warning to all) from their website was utterly dire, to the point that I was carrying a couple of spanners everywhere so I could adjust the chain on the go. Stretched like crazy despite being very well maintained.

The only bright side was that because most of the parts were discontinued so soon after I bought the bike, it was pretty much an instant write off when someone knocked me off it :lol:

Short version:
Chinese bikes are not big and they're not clever. Go Japanese.

Return to “All Other Bike Reviews”