Lexmoto Lowride 125cc

Forum rules
Please try to cover the areas listed below to give a complete overall review. This information, along with other reviews can inform and guide other members when choosing a motorcycle to purchase. Please remain factual and specific. 'It's shit' isnt adequate!

What model was it?
When did you buy it and how much did it cost?
Good points?
Bad points?
Would you get another?
Any other comments?
Attach a picture if you wish.

REMEMBER - PLEASE USE A SEPARATE THREAD FOR EACH REVIEW!

REPLY TO THREADS ONLY TO ASK FOR MORE INFORMATION FROM ORIGINAL POSTER.

EVEN IF YOU WANT TO DO A REVIEW THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE BY SOMEONE ELSE... PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD.

THANK YOU
Tango
Bike(s): Triumph Speed Triple 1050, CB750 Project bike
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 801 times

Re: Lexmoto Lowride 125cc

Post by Tango » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 pm

RantMachine wrote:The bike I did my CBT on did exactly the same thing as your Triumph, think it was a Suzuki. Thought that was a really nice way of doing it, actually.
It's actually quite a good habit to get into TBH......reduces the load on the starter for one thing.... and saves the embarrasing jump forwards if the bike is in gear and it doesn't have the safety switches......8-)
I feel the need....the need for Speed......Triple

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 4064 times
Been liked: 3544 times

Post by Stu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 pm

RantMachine wrote:The bike I did my CBT on did exactly the same thing as your Triumph, think it was a Suzuki. Thought that was a really nice way of doing it, actually.

I think all suzuki's have this

Mine is a suzuki my bro's two suzuki's had to have the clutch pulled and so did my previous two
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

RantMachine
Bike(s): None... for now
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 628 times

Post by RantMachine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:18 pm

I've seen other people do "follow up reviews" and it seems like a nice idea, so why not.

4000km Later

The bike is an absolute joy to ride, I swear it runs smoother and sounds better with time, but that may just be down to me abusing it less as I get used to it :lol:

It's incredibly comfortable to ride, even over longer distances - once you get to higher speeds (it'll usually sit comfortably at 60, takes a fair run up to get to 70 and won't go past it without a favourable wind :P) it does rattle around a bit, but thankfully not in the arse department. Rear suspension is pretty good, coping nicely even with the crappy roads covering East Anglia. While firmly attached, the pegs are a bit floppy - one or two instances of standing on them while going over particlarly nasty surfaces (read: hitting speedbumps hard while dodging homicidal white vans in Milton and Histon) and they're drooping a little. The bike is a little more thirsty than BikerMoo's CBF, which supports the manufacturer-quoted 100mpg. The longest single trip I've done thusfar was 250 miles, and the bike handled it fine.

Been impressed with the sheer quantity of junk you can stack on it with ease. The luggage boxes are adequate for a day out; at any time mine are loaded with a full set of waterproofs, a drink bottle, a few snacks, a folded backpack to stick my outer jacket in if the sun shows up, and a bit of soft wood for scraping bin liners off my exhaust :lol: Still a bit of room left over for other small nik naks. Might be worth noting that they aren't quite big enough to hold anything A4 size without bending it slightly. Between the actual frame of the luggage boxes and the pillion back rest, you've got plenty of things to attach bungees and luggage nets to, so you can stack one heck of a lot on that otherwise pointless pillion seat and still have it nice and secure. Testament to this was the BMF show, where my bike carried all our camping gear and everything we purchased without the slightest sign of trouble.

The bike has behaved well, with no faults and all looking nice and healthy thanks to some fairly regular polishing. Padding on the inside of the luggage box lids is a bit pants, so I had to supplement it to stop them rattling, but otherwise no complaints. However. Perhaps the biggest cautionary tale for any prospective Chinese bike owners - if new, watch where you buy it. And wherever you get it, watch where you get it serviced. Something I sorta overlooked while reading reviews was people saying they'd had trouble with dealers that basically didn't give a s**t about Chinese bikes. And here we get to the only problem I've had with my bike thusfar...

The ruddy gits clamped the ignition lead BETWEEN the frame and a piece of the bodywork! Noticed it when cleaning it the weekend after my last service, a couple of days after having some serious trouble starting. Exterior of the cable cut clean, and the wire is starting to corrode. They're fixing it this saturday (first chance I've had to bring it to them), but it takes the piss a bit. They've screwed up my drum brake every time they've had the bike and I've had to adjust it after picking the bike up, didn't reattach the side panel properly, the cowls on my headlights weren't attached properly, and a few other minor grievances along the way. Considering the good reviews of the place that I read, I'm really starting to feel like they just bodge my bike because it's not a priority for them. Once they've sorted this problem I won't be visiting them again.

So in short:
* Bloomin great bike, recommend it highly and all the Chinese bike naysayers be damned.
* Fun to ride, comfy, good enough for a day out on the bike or a camping trip.
* If you have the slightest doubt about your dealer, go elsewhere. Don't let them turn the Chinese stigma into a self fulfilling prophecy!
Disclaimer: RantMachine don't know shit

wayneo
Bike(s): CBR 125R

Post by wayneo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Nice review,
I had a pioneer nevada 125cc as my first bike more or less the same as your bike and found it a decent bike for the money I even made money on it 18 months later.

I know on my bike you could disconnect the side stand switch which had already been done I also had a centre stand as well as side which was useful.
Pioneer Nevada 125 sold
Suzuki Vl Intruder 125 sold
Honda Cbr 125r Repsol Current project

RantMachine

Post by RantMachine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:08 pm

As I understand it, the Lexmoto Lowride is principally the same bike as the Nevada (and the Jinlun Texan) albeit under the flag of a new distributor and with a few design changes. Lovely things!

RantMachine

Post by RantMachine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Oh, and the service intervals SUCK. Not that I have anything to compare it to, of course - but the insane frequency of my services is a point of amusement for several of the others in the lab. I practically have to plan my life around the ruddy things!

Boothy
Bike(s): Bandit 1200
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Boothy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:32 pm

RantMachine wrote:Oh, and the service intervals SUCK. Not that I have anything to compare it to, of course - but the insane frequency of my services is a point of amusement for several of the others in the lab. I practically have to plan my life around the ruddy things!
What are the regular service intervals? Not the first ones they don't count :lol:

RantMachine

Post by RantMachine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:15 pm

3000km - with my weekly commute and one decent day of riding every weekend it's a monthly occurrence, and that's not even factoring in other things like evening rides :(

Had a service today. Just done the maths - between tomorrow's planned ride, the visit to the old warehouse on Monday, the normal commute every other day, Hartford Marina then Papworth on Tuesday evening, then the Rally at the weekend... by this time next week I'll be 1/3 of the way to my next service :cry:

Tiggie
Bike(s): Nothing :-(
Has liked: 1749 times
Been liked: 1781 times

Post by Tiggie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:22 pm

thats excessive!!!! :shock:
Get your official TMBF snood/buff here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73218

Play nice or I'll wake Rennie up. And nobody wants that!!

mattycoops43
Bike(s): 2000 VTR1000
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by mattycoops43 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:33 pm

That is why you need to be doing the servicing yourself!
Ramming speed Captain!

1980 Honda CB250RS
2000 VTR1000 Firestorm
1999 Fazer FZS600
1998 Yamaha XJ600N
1995 Honda CB750N2
1982 Suzuki GS550E
1985 Honda CX500
1980 Kawasaki Z200

Tiggie
Bike(s): Nothing :-(
Has liked: 1749 times
Been liked: 1781 times

Post by Tiggie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 pm

:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:
Get your official TMBF snood/buff here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73218

Play nice or I'll wake Rennie up. And nobody wants that!!

RantMachine

Post by RantMachine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Bloomin' good incentive to do my DAS and get something better ASAP, though! :mrgreen:

I have to be fair about it - if it wasn't such a spectacularly fun bike, the service intervals wouldn't be such an issue because I wouldn't be riding it nearly as much. Still the only 125 bothering with Challenge 100! Will certainly be sending an email to Lexmoto questioning their logic, though.

And Matty - getting it serviced at Lexmoto dealers so the warranty stays valid in the hope it'll help when I'm selling it in the near future. You think I go to Bedford every few weeks because I enjoy it? Worst place in the world :lol:

RantMachine

Post by RantMachine » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Minor updates to review:
1. The crash bars are great, the bike had an intimate moment with the A10 on Friday and apart from some scratches on the exhaust, brake lever snapping & mirror falling off, the bike escaped without any damage. No paint scratched anywhere on it, Luggage is untouched. Bars are scrapped, but they did what they set out to! Happy to fork out for a new set. Probably would've been a laarge amount of leg smeared across the road if they hadn't been there, instead of standing right back up an walking away with a couple of bruises and a chunk of missing elbow.
2. Parts availability seems to be one of the bigger criticisms I hear about Chinese bikes - I ordered the bits two days ago and they arrived earlier today! I had a quick look through the supplier's website and they had between 10 and 20 of just about every part of the bike. Very impressed with them! Bike is healthy again faster than I am :lol:

Also, sub reviews:

The "universal windshield" available for the bike is great, does its job well and doesn't look as ghastly as you'd expect it to from the sample pictures you'll see online :P Diverts a lot of wind and rain away from your hands too, so combine it with some decent waterproof trousers (see below) and you barely notice the weather. Sturdy fixtures (but no instructions!), but with just enough flexibility that it pushed aside when the bike went down instead of grinding away.

Frank Thomas "Predator" jacket is crap. Lovely and cool for summer riding and the included rain cover is decent, but once I hit the ground the cuff came undone almost instantly and the sleeve started riding up, leading to the nice deep gouge in my arm. Also got bits of the cuff melted onto my arm.

Australian Bikers Gear (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Australian-Bike ... biker+gear) trousers are bloomin' marvelous (thanks BikerMoo!) - vents did a good enough job of keeping them cool through the summer, thermal lining turns them into a veritable furnace on cold days, only bit of gear I own that hasn't let a drop of water in (and believe me, I've pushed them) and the armour in the arse area is the reason I don't even have a bruise on my right cheek :lol: Great big pads on the knees, too. My only criticism would be the cut of them - quite a low crotch, which causes them to ride up a bit against the tank. Paired with my cruiser boots, I get wet socks :roll: Probably not a problem if you wear your boots over your trousers.

Tango
Bike(s): Triumph Speed Triple 1050, CB750 Project bike
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 801 times

Post by Tango » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Glad you're OK Ollie...... :) Lou told us about this on Sunday.......said it was a straight stretch of road and the bike just fishtailed and went down..... :shock: Good to hear that the damage to you and the bike wasn't too severe......and you've got the bits to sort the bike out already...... 8-)
I feel the need....the need for Speed......Triple

rennie
Bike(s): Honda VFR1200f
Challenge score: 370
Has liked: 4117 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Post by rennie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Glad you're ok!
Ian.
hoggs bonus 1/15
west midlands4/12