WK650tr

Forum rules
Please try to cover the areas listed below to give a complete overall review. This information, along with other reviews can inform and guide other members when choosing a motorcycle to purchase. Please remain factual and specific. 'It's shit' isnt adequate!

What model was it?
When did you buy it and how much did it cost?
Good points?
Bad points?
Would you get another?
Any other comments?
Attach a picture if you wish.

REMEMBER - PLEASE USE A SEPARATE THREAD FOR EACH REVIEW!

REPLY TO THREADS ONLY TO ASK FOR MORE INFORMATION FROM ORIGINAL POSTER.

EVEN IF YOU WANT TO DO A REVIEW THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE BY SOMEONE ELSE... PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD.

THANK YOU
Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 4052 times
Been liked: 3523 times

Re: WK650tr

Post by Stu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:55 pm

You want to be thankful you have just the one crash bung!

that is the first bike I know of that comes with them as standard!!

I think you need to get a video of said noise
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

CrusaderPhil
Bike(s): WK-650TR-2 and Royal Enfield Bullet Electra EFI
Been liked: 4 times

Post by CrusaderPhil » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:12 pm

Honda Pan European has them they even look the same, will see if I can get noise on a recording.

CrusaderPhil

Post by CrusaderPhil » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:02 am

The squeal on mine appears to be the fuel pump, as of yet I do not know if it is normal or a fault, until I can hear another one.
1600 Miles now and the FI has just started flashing 15 Flashes at start-up, this indicates it is due for service but it has already had services in accordance with the strict WK service regime ( Which by the way does not match the manufacturers services ), WK services are at the wrong intervals and in my opinion seriously wrong and could themselves cause problems for the bike, it not being services according to the book.

Otherwise no problems.

Fred
Subscriber
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 885
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Fred » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi Phil.
My pump just makes a whirring sound when I turn the ignition switch, after that when riding I do not hear anything.
Service light, yep a pain in the bum, mine has lit up 3 times so far, nowhere near the service mileage.

CrusaderPhil

Post by CrusaderPhil » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Fred wrote:Hi Phil.
My pump just makes a whirring sound when I turn the ignition switch, after that when riding I do not hear anything.
Service light, yep a pain in the bum, mine has lit up 3 times so far, nowhere near the service mileage.
Mine is near the CFMOTO service mileage but know where near WK service schedule

I assume you know how to clear it.

WOT
Switch On
FI lights, let go throttle
wait 6 sec. Switch Off

Switch back on as normal.

CrusaderPhil

Post by CrusaderPhil » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi Fred, heard about Prince666 and the lads, they are in St. Petersburg, if not already entered Finland, they said they were spending 3 Days there so should be in Finland tomorrow.

They are hoping to stay at the Ponderosa, I am hoping to meet them at the Raven on the A41 and ride with them to Ponderosa.

I think we may have another 2 x 650 TR riders, my local dealer has sold another 2.

Fred
Subscriber

Post by Fred » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for the info Phil.
I just hope the meet up at the Raven ain't a weekday, or I am scuppered if it is :(
I've been to the Ponderosa................er once.

Fred
Subscriber

Post by Fred » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi again Phil.
Yes I do know, thanks to the China Moto forum guys
1st time it came in was at some ridiculous low mileage,
At 1st I thought something had gone wrong :D

secretagentmole
Bike(s): Honda NTV
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Post by secretagentmole » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:30 pm

Shorty wrote:It could be that this bike and those that follow represent the step change people have been talking about for a few years now. where the chinese motorcycle industry move from producing cheap throwaway copies to bikes that can actually compete, or if not compete - offer a viable alternative.
Its a little like the japanese bikes in the 60s. these were as a rule badly made copies of british and other european models that at the time just couldn't compete and then - almost overnight all change, the japanese learnt from their mistakes and moved up a gear. and in so doing killed off nearly every other maker in the world. The japanese should sit up and take notice, they did it to their competition with remarkable success the same could happen to them and very quickly. One very small clue about how things have changed. the ECU that runs the fuel injection in this bike is not some cheap chinese clone. its a Ducati Energia designed and likely made in an area of Bologna called 'Panigale'. The shock absorbers.. are made in Japan. KYB/Kayaba.

The brits and europeans looked down their noses at the early japanese bikes.. and essentially ignored them. feeling smug and superior.. how could these badly made and unreliable copies ever compete against us? I'm sure this was a topic of conversation in boardrooms across britain and europe. america too. They had no idea what was going to happen. not a clue. dead and gone within a relatively short period.

I am currently pootling about on the wife's Zontes Monster whilst my ER5 is in for repair. It is a little 125 that is easily as well built as a YB100 from the 1980s. It has a conventional one down 4 up box, does 118mpg and can happily chug along at 60, eventually. For what she paid for it, it is amazing, it was a year old and she paid a pittance for it. A Japanese bike can easily be made in China these days, look at all the YBRs on the road! People moaning about Chinese quality make me laugh, Ipods, Ipads, Iphones, all made in China, as are quite a few brands of mobile phones, nobody moans about those.

There is a 4 year old Zontes Monster for sale in the village we live in, the guy is obviously an immigrant from Lalaland though, it has 12 months MOT, has a hole in the exhaust, been on it's side (bent brake and scratched exhaust heat shield), he wants £700 for it! They are not much more than that new!

CrusaderPhil

Post by CrusaderPhil » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:54 pm

secretagentmole wrote:
Shorty wrote:It could be that this bike and those that follow represent the step change people have been talking about for a few years now. where the chinese motorcycle industry move from producing cheap throwaway copies to bikes that can actually compete, or if not compete - offer a viable alternative.
Its a little like the japanese bikes in the 60s. these were as a rule badly made copies of british and other european models that at the time just couldn't compete and then - almost overnight all change, the japanese learnt from their mistakes and moved up a gear. and in so doing killed off nearly every other maker in the world. The japanese should sit up and take notice, they did it to their competition with remarkable success the same could happen to them and very quickly. One very small clue about how things have changed. the ECU that runs the fuel injection in this bike is not some cheap chinese clone. its a Ducati Energia designed and likely made in an area of Bologna called 'Panigale'. The shock absorbers.. are made in Japan. KYB/Kayaba.

The brits and europeans looked down their noses at the early japanese bikes.. and essentially ignored them. feeling smug and superior.. how could these badly made and unreliable copies ever compete against us? I'm sure this was a topic of conversation in boardrooms across britain and europe. america too. They had no idea what was going to happen. not a clue. dead and gone within a relatively short period.

I am currently pootling about on the wife's Zontes Monster whilst my ER5 is in for repair. It is a little 125 that is easily as well built as a YB100 from the 1980s. It has a conventional one down 4 up box, does 118mpg and can happily chug along at 60, eventually. For what she paid for it, it is amazing, it was a year old and she paid a pittance for it. A Japanese bike can easily be made in China these days, look at all the YBRs on the road! People moaning about Chinese quality make me laugh, Ipods, Ipads, Iphones, all made in China, as are quite a few brands of mobile phones, nobody moans about those.

There is a 4 year old Zontes Monster for sale in the village we live in, the guy is obviously an immigrant from Lalaland though, it has 12 months MOT, has a hole in the exhaust, been on it's side (bent brake and scratched exhaust heat shield), he wants £700 for it! They are not much more than that new!
The new version of the 650TR the 650TR-G has Bosch Electronics and Continental ABS, it also has Electric Windscreen, Bigger Fairing, lower seat, foot pegs further forward and handlebars further back an ideal position for touring, it also has a gear indicator

secretagentmole

Post by secretagentmole » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:22 am

Sounds good but I like the i model, ie the naked version, never have liked faired bikes!

CrusaderPhil

Post by CrusaderPhil » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:10 am

secretagentmole wrote:Sounds good but I like the i model, ie the naked version, never have liked faired bikes!
Good bike, a copy of the Kawasaki ER6N with a bit of KTM thrown in, KTM part owns the factory and some KTM bikes are built there.

secretagentmole

Post by secretagentmole » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:03 pm

CrusaderPhil wrote:
secretagentmole wrote:Sounds good but I like the i model, ie the naked version, never have liked faired bikes!
Good bike, a copy of the Kawasaki ER6N with a bit of KTM thrown in, KTM part owns the factory and some KTM bikes are built there.
I know, add to that quality components and a slightly more aggressive style and you get a nice bike!

The other half has a Zontes Monster, and despite it's shortcomings, like an egg noodle throttle cable that burnt through (since replaced by a quality Venhill inner) it is actually a nice little bike to ride. OK so it is never going to break any land speed records but it gets there in a self assured way.

CF Moto (WK) are better than Tayo (Zontes) so the WK650i is very appealing to me!

Tigcraft
Bike(s): Triumph bonneville, trx850 cfmoto650tr Skorpion s
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Tigcraft » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:29 am

Well, I was wondering where all the 650tr riders were hanging out. I've had one 18 months now and never come across another rider as yet until I found this forum just now. When I'll get time I'll catch up reading the threads and muck in. Eric (W-Yorks)

Fred
Subscriber

Post by Fred » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:58 am

Hello and welcome
Glorian & Rantmachine will be along soon to tell you of the folly of buying a Chinese bike :D

Return to “All Other Bike Reviews”