Wk/cfmoto 650tr used bike

Tigcraft

Well I've plenty to say and there's that much I may forget all on this first post. Bought bike as a Jan 2014 last year in Feb so that made it 13months old. The price? Well I stole it is the only discription. The guy who I bought it off had a lame excuse for selling it, bad knees and so on but when I picked it up it turns out he's an instructor and looks like his knees were fine just wanted to sell it cos he didn't like it.

The mileage was 3300 and one unstamped service book with a separate invoice for a Wk service done somewhere in anglia. The bike had minor faults and had rusty discs (so new???) but I was ok with that as it had a two yr warranty.

To mention faults, front disc centres rusty also bolt heads, gear lever with heavy rust, screen lower black paint nearly all peeled off, fuel cap corroded and flaking on outside, heavy rust on underside as very small tank drain hole blocked with crud (rust??) rear foot hangers corroded, left hand lowest corner of tank raise scab size of 5pence, left hand pannier lock internals defunct and ignition switch that powers up eventually.

Ok these were mostly cosmetic faults so went to the nearest dealer in Leeds to put a warranty claim in and it got refused on the grounds that it's not transferable to new owner!! Bummer, that's poor for a bike company trying to get into Europe!

So ok I put most things right and it's had its ups and downs.

The things I noticed were (as it's classed as a touring bike)

No centre stand??

Panniers fixed

No clock

No trip meter

No kms on the speedo!! (That's bolloxed riding out of GB)

Worlds shortest side stand.

Worst headlight beam I've ever had on a bike. Leaves a pattern like a slim bar code on the ground, anything before or after it is total darkness.

Ok time to live with it. First mod was fix stand, so it been extended and made to look std. Tank sender unit was calibrated and now is realistic. Twin driving lamps added and a full body strip and repaint as it was white with reflective stripes to now bronze and cobolt grey.

From a riding point of view it's brilliant, handles very well,stops well and very frugal on fuel. It's got one of the best fairings and it'll do 110mph for many hours as I didn't give a shit and I managed to put 8000 miles on it which included Germany, France, austrian alps, Italian dolomites and right down to the Adriatic Sea at Venice. It's become a real good bike now and I can actually say more comfortable than my old BMW R1150R

Three problems I had during those miles were..... front brake kept nearly chucking me off at speeds lower than 10mph and I dropped it twice as it caught me out. I thought it was warped discs but turns out master cyclinder seals were sticking. Fitted a replacement from an ER6 and it's now brill.

Clutch cable went at 4K so ER6 parts again and one fork seal leaking.

Verdict- I treat it like an eighties bike where it's nearly all working but I need to nurse it at times and can't just ignore things like you can with current day bikes.

Buy one only if it's cheap like I did

Good write up Tigcraft :thumb:

I have none of the rust/corrosion problems on mine..............the previous owner of yours seems to have had a very poor cleaning regime.......or did he leave the bike out in the elements all of the time :?:

Headlights........I put higher rated bulbs in........brighter...but no better light pattern.....think the reflector design is the limiting factor here.

Fuel level display...........mine varies wildly.....sometimes it says full....accelerate hard and it says empty :D ....

So....I am still happy with mine.....for the riding I do.

When your near empty and the thing starts flashing how many miles you got left? I've adjusted mine to just under 40 also my tank range can do 215 which is impressive (but that's carrying a can!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk