Motorbike usb cable

Forum rules
Please try to cover the areas listed below to give a complete overall review. This information, along with other reviews can inform and guide other members when choosing a motorcycle to purchase. Please remain factual and specific. 'It's shit' isnt adequate!

What model was it?
When did you buy it and how much did it cost?
Good points?
Bad points?
Would you get another?
Any other comments?
Attach a picture if you wish.

REMEMBER - PLEASE USE A SEPARATE THREAD FOR EACH REVIEW!

REPLY TO THREADS ONLY TO ASK FOR MORE INFORMATION FROM ORIGINAL POSTER.

EVEN IF YOU WANT TO DO A REVIEW THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE BY SOMEONE ELSE... PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD.

THANK YOU
Jamie125
Bike(s): Honda Innova 125i
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Motorbike usb cable

Post by Jamie125 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Mr Fro wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 pm
Jamie125 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 pm
I am 99% certain it will end up on a day MOT with just a brake light + horn.
You don't need a brake light chum.

See what I did there? Decreased your electric shiz by 50% in the blink of an eye. ;-)
Haha good one, but seriously though I have been researching this for last the few days now and I am getting different answers from different forums. A lot of people say its ALL lights working or NO lights at all but then others have said a brake light is required. Some people say a reflector is and some say it isn't.

Either way I would prefer to have a brake light than using a hand signal every time I want to slow down as it does raise the question if someone went into the back of me because of no brake light is that my fault?
Last edited by Jamie125 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joeman
Subscriber
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has liked: 1150 times
Been liked: 973 times

Post by Joeman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Keep all the lights and pass your test and get a new bike.
Learner rider with no experience on the road with no lights and no indicators to practice using isn't going to put you in a good position to pass your test

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 4052 times
Been liked: 3523 times

Post by Stu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 pm

I have always thought you needed a brake light!
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

Joeman
Subscriber

Post by Joeman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:22 pm

Only need brake lights if you have other lights ..
http://www.motuk.com/bike/1-3.asp#Menu_Top

Jamie125
Bike(s): Honda Innova 125i
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Jamie125 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Joeman wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm
Keep all the lights and pass your test and get a new bike.
Learner rider with no experience on the road with no lights and no indicators to practice using isn't going to put you in a good position to pass your test
I do see what your saying, i'm not totally inexperienced in riding bikes, I have never attempted to sit on my back wheel like most of the people I see and have on camera :lol:

I'm gonna keep this bike until I get my first years NCB then go for my full test and finally get my dream bike a GK76A :twisted:

Just so I don't end up hijacking this guys thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64250

Mawsley
Bike(s): Tigger Alpine, Child’s scooter
Has liked: 1115 times
Been liked: 1760 times

Post by Mawsley » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:21 pm
erm. if it has nothing plugged into it.. like a phone or sat nav. then how on earth can it drain a battery?
I'm guessing Joe's post has answered this question?

Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1733 times

Post by Gerontious » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:39 pm

Not really... my own experience with the USB cable i have on my bike.. thats been there since 2012 i think.. says: no.. it doesn't effect the battery at all. The bike stood for almost 6 months this past winter SORN... as it has every winter since i bought the 800.

I dont have a tester.. but it would be interesting to know what the draw from one of these things when not in use actually is.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

JRH
The Hoggfather!
Bike(s): Bandit1250
Challenge score: 320
Has liked: 1295 times
Been liked: 1247 times

Post by JRH » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:16 am

Can't find any data on these, but unless there is a physical switch the USB will always be on and draw a small amount of current. That will vary depending on the efficiency of the unit. Also a larger capacity battery will take longer to run down so in general use it should be ok, though I feed mine through a relay ignition controlled.
Looking at other devices with USB's embedded, eg a 230 volt socket, these give a power rating of 0.23 watts consumed with Nothing connected.
A side light is 5 watts.
Current Bandit 1250 :D
Previous GP125 GSX250 GT750(had 2) GPX750

2020 challenge 100

Pubs 8 / 10
Churches 10 / 10
West Midlands 3 / 12
East Midlands 1 /12
South Wales 2 / 12
Hoggs Bonus 1 / 15
Bonus Bonus 2 / 15

Baloo

Post by Baloo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:57 am

If you have a tank, feeding a 12mm pipe, then a valve to regulate pressure, then a 5mm pipe, then a tap. It's only when you open the tap to release water from the 5mm pipe, that any water flows through the 12mm pipe.

Is current on a wire any different to fliud in a pipe? If you are not drawing any, where is it going to go?

In the valve you could have a leak, meaning water flows in the 12mm pipe, but you'll get a drip from the valve, because that water has to go somewhere.

The Law of Conservation of Energy, current can be neither created nor destroyed, it can only be converted.

Electrical currrent could be converted into heat, light, magnetic field, etc, etc.

So to say the USB socket is drawing current despite nothing being powered from it, then you have to be able to explain what that energy is being converted into.

Please tell me what that is, and prove some evidence to back up your theory?

Baloo

Post by Baloo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:01 am

If you have a tank, feeding a 12mm pipe, then a valve to regulate pressure, then a 5mm pipe, then a tap. It's only when you open the tap to release water from the 5mm pipe, that any water flows through the 12mm pipe.

Is current on a wire any different to fliud in a pipe? If you are not drawing any, where is it going to go?

In the valve you could have a leak, meaning water flows in the 12mm pipe, but you'll get a drip from the valve, because that water has to go somewhere.

The Law of Conservation of Energy, current can be neither created nor destroyed, it can only be converted.

Electrical currrent could be converted into heat, light, magnetic field, etc, etc.

So to say the USB socket is drawing current despite nothing being powered from it, then you have to be able to explain what that energy is being converted into.

Do these things get hot when they are not in use?

Please tell me what that is, and prove some evidence to back up your theory?

Joeman
Subscriber

Post by Joeman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:28 am

in a usb socket there is circuitry to convert 12v down to 5v. In the cheap Chinese ones there is no circuitry to detect if a devices is plugged in to charge, so the converter is always working converting 12v down to 5v. That process takes power. Current is drawn, a small amount of heat is produced and the battery drains at a very slow rate.
It's like leaving your TV on standby. Even though there's no picture and nobody watching it, the TV is still doing work and therefore drawing current.

Stu
Site Admin

Post by Stu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:20 am

Anything that converts power is pretty much using power all the time

My phone charger buzzes constantly regardless if a phone is charging or not as does my laptop charger

Its this circuit that uses power regardless if its converting 240v or 12v to 5v its using some

Comparing electric to water is not the same! A smaller wire would still supply 12v! You need something to step it down

Joeman
Subscriber

Post by Joeman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:28 am

Exactly. Using the water analogy, the valve is analogous to a switch. But the usb charger has no switch, so the valve never gets closed so it's constantly taking 12mm water down to 5mm water regardless of anyone drinking it!

That's about as far as the water analogy goes as it doesn't account for heating in the wire and circuits, magnetism etc.
Unless the usb charger is able to go "open circuit" as a relay switch is able to, there will always be a current flow which will result in power loss.

Stu
Site Admin

Post by Stu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:31 am

Even though this is for a wall socket it's still the same as it's just a transformer at the end of the day
A spokesperson for the Energy Saving Trust adds: Any charger that is plugged in at the wall, and not switched off at the socket, will still use some electricity, even if it’s not plugged into the device it is meant to charge.

This is because every charger contains a transformer – the big rectangular lump that makes a charger bigger than an ordinary plug and cable.

This transformer is still connected to the mains even if the phone isn’t, and so the transformer carries on drawing a small amount of power. One phone charger on its own will only draw a tiny amount of power.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/expe ... ng-me.html

Baloo

Post by Baloo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:34 am

Stu wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:20 am
Comparing electric to water is not the same! A smaller wire would still supply 12v!
A smaller wire can carry less current, just like a smaller diameter pipe can flow less water. We aren't talking about voltage here, my water analogy is talking about current draw, which is measured in amps.

It's a perfectly fair analogy to use to simplify the law of conversion of energy in an electrical circuit.

If the circuitry is generating heat as Joeman suggests
and like your phone charger is generating heat and noise, than that circuit is leaking energy, just the same as the valve in my analogy is dripping water.

Still nobody's provided evidence that these things do generate heat. I'm not saying it isn't, but when you look on forums everywhere and half the people say it does draw current and half the people say it doesn't, somebody needs to provide some evidence otherwise the thread has no value.

A simple test would be get a multimeter in line with one of these things and see if a current can be measured. If you can't measure it in mA then there isn't enough draw to drain a battery. If it can be measured the debate is over.

Return to “All Other Bike Reviews”