diy or pro? military/rat respray

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Tango
Bike(s): Triumph Speed Triple 1050, CB750 Project bike
Challenge score: 90
Has Liked: 605 times
Been Liked: 461 times

Re: diy or pro? military/rat respray

#16 Post by Tango » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 pm

I'd go over the whole lot with course, and then fine paper in the sander.....The new paint needs a decent surface to key into, but it needs to be fairly matt, without any deep scratches that would show through the new paint finish.......and don't make the same mistake as a "professional " paint sprayer that used to be on here made.....Make sure you thoroughly degrease the surfaces before painting, or the new paint will just crinkle up.......especially around the filler hole on the tank...... :wink:
And, as RantMachine says, you're best off removing any badges, etc rather than trying to mask round them...... 8-)
I feel the need....the need for Speed......Triple

RantMachine
Bike(s): CG125 Classic Edition
Has Liked: 627 times
Been Liked: 560 times

#17 Post by RantMachine » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Oh yeah, the light blue ones are seriously fugly :puke:
I always thought the yellow ones had potential, though. Before the suspension in mine failed for the second time and I lost all remaining patience with it, I was going to paint the side panels dark blue and the central stripe white like Suzuki do on some of the M1800Rs, always thought that'd be pretty awesome... and a front mudguard swap, headlight mod, and various others. They sure do have a lot of potential for customisation.
Disclaimer: RantMachine don't know shit

Joeman
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has Liked: 500 times
Been Liked: 713 times

#18 Post by Joeman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:31 pm

Like this one!
6b7ea71ea52c935f9d7f477165bb809d--bike-bmw-bmw-fgs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RantMachine

#19 Post by RantMachine » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Pffft, rat bike?! That one's in better nick than mine was! Certainly less missing bits :lol:

frazer
Has Liked: 6 times

#20 Post by frazer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:42 pm

I've put on about 6 light coats over the day.
It looks grey in the photo but a sage colour irl, it's nowhere near the camo green on the can.
You can't see it in the picture but the area I filled is appearing lighter through the paint.
My local halfords only had 3 small cans, I only got a good 1 or 2 coats out of each one, so I'll have to wait until they are restocked.

Have I done something wrong or should I not worry and keep spraying?

frazer

#21 Post by frazer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Well it's f**ked. In place the paint just brushes off and the fillers still showing through etc. I've used 6x300ml cans! I can't see any point continuing it and I can't afford to get them sorted so for now I'm skint and my bikes practically non road worthy for the foreseeable future. Not happy at all.

Joeman
Bike(s): BMW S1000RR, KTM300.. etc
Has Liked: 500 times
Been Liked: 713 times

#22 Post by Joeman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Did you rub them down and prime them first?
What paint did you use?
Too late to say now, but should have tried a small part first rather than everything at once..
Take off all the paint and vinyl wrap or plastidip all the parts :thumb:

RantMachine

#23 Post by RantMachine » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:07 pm

What else in non road worthy? Your aftermarket ignition barrel works fine, right? Is there anything else?

Hoggs
Bike(s): ZX-6R
Challenge score: 20
Has Liked: 1667 times
Been Liked: 1096 times

#24 Post by Hoggs » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:16 pm

You're going for a rat look, stick em back on and worry about it later
ImageImage

Stopping you having fun since 2017

Westbeef
I torque a lot!
Bike(s): CBR600F Sport
Challenge score: 40
Has Liked: 299 times
Been Liked: 595 times

#25 Post by Westbeef » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:56 am

Like this one, but more ratty?

Saw it at a show over the weekend.

frazer

#26 Post by frazer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. Im just going to get it dip coated when I get paid. I took a lot of time sanding them but didnt prime or clean with thinners as id heard it wasnt that necessary for a simple rat job. Its easy to blame it all on me not doing that but surely it shouldnt be that difficult to spray a piece of plastic green. How could it go this wrong? Its green paint on plastic, its came out grey, uneven rough surfaces and brushing straight off in some places. Never again, seems difficult and expensive to say how cheap and quick it is to get it dipped or wrapped.

Ive got bigger problems with it though. The clutch is too stiff, ive oiled the pivot arm which has helped a bit but im having trouble getting a replacement cable. I ordered one for my model and for some reason its too long. Nowhere states the length and theyre suprisingly hard to come by at a reasonable price.

The abs/heated grip switch wires have snapped off but now the switche connectors themselves are knackered after I tried my hand at soldering. Theyre also not easy to come by.

The fork seals are knackered because the forks are pitted. I havent looked into sorting that yet but I imagine its going to be a nightmare too.

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300
Challenge score: 40
Has Liked: 1453 times
Been Liked: 1144 times

#27 Post by Stu » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 pm

As they say preparation is 90% of the work when it comes to paining!

I have had cases of paint just rubbing off when its not prepped right I have also had cases of paint reacting with the plastics too
Don't steal!.... the government hates competition!!!

Throttled
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Challenge score: 360
Has Liked: 121 times
Been Liked: 169 times

#28 Post by Throttled » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:09 pm

I saw a bike being ratted and the guy used plastikote paint. It covers a multitude of sins.
My blog about my career as a police officer in Scotland - https://rogerthepoliceman.wordpress.com/
Also on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/rogerthepoliceman/

RantMachine

#29 Post by RantMachine » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Fork seals aren't too bad, getting the damping rods out is the main shitter. You can save a lot of money by shopping around for the seals and dustcaps themselves; can't remember which but one or another model of VFR uses the same ones and trust me they're one hell of a lot cheaper just for the joy of not being bought from a BMW supplier. The F650 forum is generally crap and very slow paced, but their FAQ section is a holy bible of F650 repairs, should say which you need: http://faq.f650.com/main.html

Re. the stanchions themselves (and clutch cable), 90% of the parts you'll need when fixing up an F650 can be bought from these guys: https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php
I rarely found any parts cheaper elsewhere, and certainly never got such good service. I was in a pinch when my bell crank gave up the ghost and didn't have the cash to replace the whole set of bearings along with it - they were kind enough to have a dig through their parts bin and send me the one with the healthiest looking bearings already fitted :thumb: Turned a £300+ job into a £100 job! Give them a call, they'll sort you out.