1978 HONDA CB250 T RESTORATION PROJECT

Just read through this whole thing! :shock: Very, very good read. Great work. :cheers:

I've wanted to do something like this for a while now, but I don't wanna restore a bike that I then can't ride and I don't really want to do a 125. So I'm currently looking for a 2002 ZX6R that is in a fairly bad way that I can spend the next year on, then ride when I'm 19. It's good to see that something like this is possible with very little mechanical knowledge! Thanks for such a great thread! :D

I still think I could be tempted to do a 1970's Honda 400 four :cheers:

Hey Polecat....not commenting on the thread but your avatar and just saying I have two of you in my back yard :)

Wouldn't say no to another restoration thread... :lol:

As you are the master of painting, I have a question;

I'd want to paint the bike I restore in the classic Kawasaki green colour, so how would I go about getting my hands on cans of that paint, if you don't mind me asking?

Just get the paint code and any decent paint supplier can mix it for you no problem

If not you can research the paint codes Kawasaki used for the year of your bike on google

Sometimes they like to keep them secret though but writing to Kawasaki may help if that is the case :)

Just read through this whole thing! :shock: Very, very good read. Great work. :cheers:

I've wanted to do something like this for a while now, but I don't wanna restore a bike that I then can't ride and I don't really want to do a 125. So I'm currently looking for a 2002 ZX6R that is in a fairly bad way that I can spend the next year on, then ride when I'm 19. It's good to see that something like this is possible with very little mechanical knowledge! Thanks for such a great thread! :D

I still think I could be tempted to do a 1970's Honda 400 four :cheers:

Hey Polecat....not commenting on the thread but your avatar and just saying I have two of you in my back yard :)

I had three of me for many years but they lived in the house in hammocks and were the smartest and funniest critters I ever met ! :love:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all, new to here. I too am restoring a 1977 honda cb250 t . I have the bike stripped down now - except for the centre stand . It seems quite rusted on - although it swings ,i cannot find out how to remove it ! The haynes manual does not explain how it comes apart. Do any of you more experienced restores know about its removal ? Any help welcome. Thanks.

Fantastic thread, well done, looks great!

My girlfriend may dislike you though as I'm now figuring out what project bike I can get!!

Great job and thanks for the inspiration!! :)

• 1 month later...
Hello all, new to here. I too am restoring a 1977 honda cb250 t . I have the bike stripped down now - except for the centre stand . It seems quite rusted on - although it swings ,i cannot find out how to remove it ! The haynes manual does not explain how it comes apart. Do any of you more experienced restores know about its removal ? Any help welcome. Thanks.

It is far better to leave the centre stand in place as there is a nut inside that the long bolt attaches to and this comes away from the frame and makes it virtually impossible but if free swinging then just restore it as part of the frame as I did it comes up a treat just the same :)

• 4 years later...

Hi guys and gals new to the forum, I'm just about to take on a cb250 restoration aswell and this thread will be great to help me out how ere I can't see any of the pics for some reason?

You mean there's supposed to be pictures? :D

Good choice for project - is it a super dream 250 or the old CB 250T? My first new bike was a CJ 250T so I know a bit about the pre-super dream models. If it is one of these, beware of the so-called centrifugal "oil filter" - you need a special castellated socket to get it off - and you WILL have to get it off to clean it out properly. The solution offered in the Haynes manual - making one out of a length of gas pipe - just doesn't work. The only thing that will, apart from the Honda service tool, is to grind four "ears" into the end of a spare suitably sized socket and use it with a generous dose of impact driver. (Which you will need to get the engine covers off anyway, unless someone has put cap-head screws on it...)......

Because this is such a PITA to remove for cleaning, most people didn't bother, leading to heavy engine wear.....terminal wear often occurring as soon as 20 000 miles on the clock. This also led to........the camshaft runs directly in the head and the bearing surfaces wear badly (especiaĺy if the "oil filter" was not cleaned as directed :roll: . )

You used to be able to get a needle roller conversion kit to reclaim this kind of wear - I suppose that you could still get this done at an engineers.

Anyway, good luck with this - let us know how you get on.

Hi guys and gals new to the forum, I'm just about to take on a cb250 restoration aswell and this thread will be great to help me out how ere I can't see any of the pics for some reason?

Now you have posted you should be able to see the pics :wink:

You mean there's supposed to be pictures? :D

Good choice for project - is it a super dream 250 or the old CB 250T? My first new bike was a CJ 250T so I know a bit about the pre-super dream models. If it is one of these, beware of the so-called centrifugal "oil filter" - you need a special castellated socket to get it off - and you WILL have to get it off to clean it out properly. The solution offered in the Haynes manual - making one out of a length of gas pipe - just doesn't work. The only thing that will, apart from the Honda service tool, is to grind four "ears" into the end of a spare suitably sized socket and use it with a generous dose of impact driver. (Which you will need to get the engine covers off anyway, unless someone has put cap-head screws on it...)......

Because this is such a PITA to remove for cleaning, most people didn't bother, leading to heavy engine wear.....terminal wear often occurring as soon as 20 000 miles on the clock. This also led to........the camshaft runs directly in the head and the bearing surfaces wear badly (especiaĺy if the "oil filter" was not cleaned as directed :roll: . )

You used to be able to get a needle roller conversion kit to reclaim this kind of wear - I suppose that you could still get this done at an engineers.

Anyway, good luck with this - let us know how you get on.

All good advice . A mistake I nearly made once was to disassemble a Honda centrifugal filter and completely fail to notice that it was full up with grey sediment. This was so neatly compacted that it looked like part of the so called filter. I think I accidentally poked the cake of muck with a screwdriver which went right in . What a dreadful design, I wonder how many million Hondas have died prematurely because of it ?

• 3 weeks later...

One tip that may come in handy......a lot of people use WD40 as a releasing agent/penetrating oil. It is not really suitable for this purpose. Use Plus-Gas - or even better, a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF (auto transmission fluid). It will look a bit weird, but shake it up and apply.......now the hard bit - Plus-Gas or the AA mixture - leave 24 hrs THEN attempt to loosen. Have fun.

• 2 years later...

About to embark on the first of two full on restorations of this classic Honda.

Both bikes could be described as basket cases, but I love a challenge.

Pics to follow in the next few days.

Probably a good idea to start a new thread rather than tack one onto the tail end of one started 9 years ago and revived again 3 years ago .

Probably a good idea to start a new thread rather than tack one onto the tail end of one started 9 years ago and revived again 3 years ago .

Will do. :-D

I know the feeling . A lot of unknowns on this project of mine . To be honest it's a bit further gone than I would have liked .

Polish_20200813_160542874.thumb.jpg.6e168c2cc3c94be96116e06564ae5732.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hope the finished bike is giving you fun.

I have the same bike and had my first one 35 years ago. My present cb250t is stock but scruffy as a previous owner felt spraying the engine with silver paint without prepping was a good idea. Cosmetics aside, it runs well but they were never meant to be quick; back in 1978 they were up against the RD250 and X7 both being two stroke, but we’re equal to the XS250 which was another heavy four stroke. The advantage the Dream had was better fuel economy and reliability in all weather. The style is very much desirable at the present time with the peanut shaped tank and it is still easy to source parts. The rumour of 17 registered in the UK is unlikely as I have been watching market places for the last 10 years and there have been over a dozen advertised and there are others mentioned on forums.