ER5 Restoration

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Via
Bike(s): Sinnis Max II / ER5
Has Liked: 441 times
Been Liked: 275 times

Re: ER5 Restoration

#16 Post by Via » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 am

fastbob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 am
Going back to the rear brake , have you been lucky enough to get a bike that doesn't have a distorted rear drum ? If not I know a crude but effective fix for this. Great work so far.
Good question and no idea not actually tested that, only got as far as testing it works and pedal movement is good. Got a new chain to go on so rear wheel and brake not been adjusted completely and just put on for now, will check when I get front back on and get back to you.

Was going to do that today but decided to have a day off, apart from time away I've spent every spare day on it so far and feeling it now, getting too old, so just going to veg and watch tv.
Hoggs wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:21 pm
I agree totally with @Slowlycatchymonkey

Via

#17 Post by Via » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:36 am

-Elliot- wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:33 pm
De-chroming was the first thing I did to my ER5, also seems that the swingarm is a weakpoint for corrosion, same thing on mine!
They are indeed, they were obviously never powder coated by how easy everything came off in sand blaster and no protection from crap thrown from rear wheel. If you have a look at my thread on pitstop (rubber piece on swing arm) there's 2 posts from [mention]fastbob[/mention] showing how to better protect it (£100 bolt on or custom using bit of plastic from an old oil can).
Hoggs wrote:

fastbob
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Has Liked: 1624 times
Been Liked: 1198 times

#18 Post by fastbob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 am

Via wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 am
fastbob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 am
Going back to the rear brake , have you been lucky enough to get a bike that doesn't have a distorted rear drum ? If not I know a crude but effective fix for this. Great work so far.
Good question and no idea not actually tested that, only got as far as testing it works and pedal movement is good. Got a new chain to go on so rear wheel and brake not been adjusted completely and just put on for now, will check when I get front back on and get back to you.

Was going to do that today but decided to have a day off, apart from time away I've spent every spare day on it so far and feeling it now, getting too old, so just going to veg and watch tv.
Ok, you won't really know until you ride it. If the pedal pulses up and down its distorted.

Via

#19 Post by Via » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Just a small update.

Not many pics for work I've done recently, most of it mundane. Finished back end off with a new chain and new shocks (really begrudged those as nothing wrong with old shocks other than looking poor but every time I looked at them it wound me up lol).
20180112_155707.jpg
And a reminder of what it looked like before...
20171202_095143.jpg
Gave a service and got exhaust back on, that ended up being an absolute nightmare but finally back on. Still no front wheel on yet and now moved onto the painting, all the fairing has is now primed ready for a rub down tomorrow and some paint to go on. Tank dent has been filled and will begin rub down of that tomorrow.

Not much left to do now, hopefully will be back together for final pictures in a few weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hoggs wrote:

fastbob

#20 Post by fastbob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Excellent work so far , the last two pictures say it all really . Its crying out for some shiny new sprocket nuts . [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/V8toqK3m.png[/IMG] go on treat yourself !

Via

#21 Post by Via » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Lol true and a new axle ;) oh and the foot pegs, rust round edge of those bothering me (cant get in with wire brush without destroying rubber).

BUT, I have decided no more spending, bought a new battery and some more primer for tank (ran out after 2nd coat) and need more paint (need to give one piece of rear fairing a final coat and then the tank) plus most likely few more cans of clear coat (got some petrol resistant one, hopefully 1 can will do for tank as over twice the price of what normal one costs lol). That's it I've set my limit now and only what's needed to finish it off, tbh gone way over what I was originally planning to spend but did more than anticipated, still think I could make back what I've spent plus a bit more if I resold it but no plans on selling.
Hoggs wrote:

fastbob

#22 Post by fastbob » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 pm

There are two cheap ways of making rusty nuts and bolts look much better. One way is to buff them up to a silver finish with a rotary wire brush and then lacquer them . Another technique borrowed from the world of plastic model making is to paint them satin black and then " dry brush " them using a tiny amount of silver paint on an almost dry paint brush using a flicking motion . Neither of these solutions are particularly durable but after you've worked so hard , the colour of rust just doesn't belong on the bike. I'm glad to see that you have no plans to sell . I had one of my best biking summers in years last year on mine . Here's a pic to hopefully inspire you . Have you seen my thread in the touring section entitled Scotland no motorways ? [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UM1BjSf.jpg[/IMG]

Via

#23 Post by Via » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:28 pm

fastbob wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 pm
the colour of rust just doesn't belong on the bike. I'm glad to see that you have no plans to sell . I had one of my best biking summers in years last year on mine .
Very true and hate it, will no doubt have other goes at getting rid of it before it is finished off as really does bug me (hence shocks going). Definitely not going to be sold before I get some enjoyment out of it, can't wait to be able to get on it.
fastbob wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 pm
Here's a pic to hopefully inspire you . Have you seen my thread in the touring section entitled Scotland no motorways ? [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UM1BjSf.jpg[/IMG]
Amazing picture! Looks like it was a lovely ride. Don't think I've seen that one, will have a read.
Hoggs wrote:

fastbob

#24 Post by fastbob » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:34 pm

See also Non stop Wales and Beulah to Tregaron in Ride Reports and Pictures .

Via

#25 Post by Via » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 am

Some good trips there! Certainly got your moneys worth out of it!

Once I'm up and running with mine you'll have to let me know if you ever plan a trip south, not that there's the scenery here your other trips have had!
Hoggs wrote:

OhJay
Bike(s): VFR800 Fi, R6
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

#26 Post by OhJay » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:31 am

Good read that one, thanks.

Learned an awful lot about ER5s when we bought one for Kitty for her 19th and we of course ended up doing all the maintenance.... and we got to do a LOT of maintenance :roll: :lol:

Electrical gremlins did eventually finish it off for her: the horn got stuck on as soon as she turned left, the rear light fuse would blow about once a week.... so she went and got a CB500 which is also teaching us a lot about maintenance

Currently sat as an immovable, rust-brown garden ornament in our back garden. Rear brake had completely seized so that video will be very useful indeed, thanks. Beyond that it's finding our time, our motivation and her money to ever really do anything about it again.
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs

Throttled
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Challenge Score: 10
Has Liked: 257 times
Been Liked: 382 times

#27 Post by Throttled » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:34 am

What is it about ER5s? My mate has a half restored one in his garage. I suspect one days work would at least get it running..... :D

I agree you need to tackle the rusty bits and I think black hammerite paint to go over rust, is the quickest and easiest solution.
My blog about my career as a police officer in Scotland - https://rogerthepoliceman.wordpress.com/
Also on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/rogerthepoliceman/

fastbob

#28 Post by fastbob » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Throttled wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:34 am
What is it about ER5s?
Well if you'd asked me two years ago I would have said bland badly finished run of the mill commuter bike . But since I've restored a high mileage ex training school rusty wreck and put another 8000 miles on it including a 1630 mile trip to Scotland I have nothing but respect and admiration for this friendly little bike . After 20 years wrestling with GSXR 1100s it's nice to get back to a more basic and less demanding style of motorcycling. Here's a compilation of pics charting some of our excursions. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/copDOj1.jpg[/IMG] Oh yeah, a stupidly loud exhaust does give it a certain extra something.

Via

#29 Post by Via » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Well it seems last few weekends been non stop and not much to show for it.

Just the paint left to finish off, the fairing is all finally done (minus a fine rub down and then polish of clearcoat). I think the colour goes well...
20180128_153212.jpg
Tank has been taking a lot longer to prep though, had a dent I needed to fill which I'm impressed with (but annoyingly no before photo) so back today from weekend in Reading and got on with the paint, was very happy with finished article a nice even coat.
20180128_143924.jpg
Then after leaving it until touch dry I thought it would be a good idea to put the Kawasaki decals on, knew I was rushing but thought it would be OK...
20180128_150645.jpg
20180128_151233.jpg
Absolutely gutted! Since then I have tried smoothing down and repainting but can see it's a patch job, not going to be noticeable to anyone but me probably but I'm fuming with myself and now no chance of getting it done this weekend as need to order new decals :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hoggs wrote:

fastbob

#30 Post by fastbob » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Mate that's grim :cry: Must say though, I can't see much evidence of any primer coats . Did you degrease between every coat with panel wipes ? There must be a barrier between the original colour and the new colour. Could be moisture from the air , i would probably choose not to spray paint at this cold and damp time of year unless my garage was very warm and dry.Also it looks from the photos that you're applying the decals before flatting the colour coat . Maybe it's for the best , you wouldn't want something like this to happen after it's all finished. P.S is that the old decal underneath the new paint ?