ER5 Restoration

Good read that one, thanks.

Learned an awful lot about ER5s when we bought one for Kitty for her 19th and we of course ended up doing all the maintenance.... and we got to do a LOT of maintenance :roll: :lol:

Electrical gremlins did eventually finish it off for her: the horn got stuck on as soon as she turned left, the rear light fuse would blow about once a week.... so she went and got a CB500 which is also teaching us a lot about maintenance

Currently sat as an immovable, rust-brown garden ornament in our back garden. Rear brake had completely seized so that video will be very useful indeed, thanks. Beyond that it's finding our time, our motivation and her money to ever really do anything about it again.

What is it about ER5s? My mate has a half restored one in his garage. I suspect one days work would at least get it running..... :D

I agree you need to tackle the rusty bits and I think black hammerite paint to go over rust, is the quickest and easiest solution.

What is it about ER5s?

Well if you'd asked me two years ago I would have said bland badly finished run of the mill commuter bike . But since I've restored a high mileage ex training school rusty wreck and put another 8000 miles on it including a 1630 mile trip to Scotland I have nothing but respect and admiration for this friendly little bike . After 20 years wrestling with GSXR 1100s it's nice to get back to a more basic and less demanding style of motorcycling. Here's a compilation of pics charting some of our excursions. http://i.imgur.com/copDOj1.jpg Oh yeah, a stupidly loud exhaust does give it a certain extra something.

Well it seems last few weekends been non stop and not much to show for it.

Just the paint left to finish off, the fairing is all finally done (minus a fine rub down and then polish of clearcoat). I think the colour goes well...

20180128_153212.thumb.jpg.2659bb56fa656898e1ea01fcd6260879.jpg

Tank has been taking a lot longer to prep though, had a dent I needed to fill which I'm impressed with (but annoyingly no before photo) so back today from weekend in Reading and got on with the paint, was very happy with finished article a nice even coat.

20180128_143924.thumb.jpg.6910b7c587129e8eec7bc728cec400cc.jpg

Then after leaving it until touch dry I thought it would be a good idea to put the Kawasaki decals on, knew I was rushing but thought it would be OK...

20180128_150645.thumb.jpg.cd30342f63dc3358a0e1194988e5e371.jpg

20180128_151233.thumb.jpg.706bb52b6076f8a890935fcd5940b93d.jpg

Absolutely gutted! Since then I have tried smoothing down and repainting but can see it's a patch job, not going to be noticeable to anyone but me probably but I'm fuming with myself and now no chance of getting it done this weekend as need to order new decals :roll:

Mate that's grim :cry: Must say though, I can't see much evidence of any primer coats . Did you degrease between every coat with panel wipes ? There must be a barrier between the original colour and the new colour. Could be moisture from the air , i would probably choose not to spray paint at this cold and damp time of year unless my garage was very warm and dry.Also it looks from the photos that you're applying the decals before flatting the colour coat . Maybe it's for the best , you wouldn't want something like this to happen after it's all finished. P.S is that the old decal underneath the new paint ?

The yellow is primer :wink: it's filler primer which only seems to come in yellow lol (and ran out of normal gray).

Yeah was all degreased was just rushing and the glue on decal was stronger than paint was lol.

The yellow is primer :wink: it's filler primer which only seems to come in yellow lol (and ran out of normal gray).

Yeah was all degreased was just rushing and the glue on decal was stronger than paint was lol.

Oh dear, better luck next time.

Oh yeah, I've just remembered. On the day I proudly put my newly painted panels on the ER5 I had to pop across town to drop off a birthday present for my mother. An hour and a half later her next door neighbour has reversed into the bike and knocked it over causing a split that I had repaired on the right tail piece to split open again. I believe that at this was the first time my mum had ever heard me utter the F word ! :evil:

Oh yeah, I've just remembered. On the day I proudly put my newly painted panels on the ER5 I had to pop across town to drop off a birthday present for my mother. An hour and a half later her next door neighbour has reversed into the bike and knocked it over causing a split that I had repaired on the right tail piece to split open again. I believe that at this was the first time my mum had ever heard me utter the F word ! :evil:

Ouch! That is painful, I'm sure I'd have said a lot worse lol. Tbh did today and that was my fault :lol:

No pictures but a happier day today, firstly the damage to the tank after a few coats and few very gentle rub downs (metallic paint so have to be very gentle) and can barely notice it now. Put a few coats of lacquer on as well, was going to lacquer after decals went on but can't do them now and wanted to protect the paint so decided to lacquer and then once decals turn up I'll put them on and another coat of lacquer on top.

Next thing was indicator switch, the switch can be temperamental as to if indicators go on or not, left indicator would have to be half pushed in after indicating left to work, right was just random so thought I'll rip the switch apart see if I could fix it or not (nothing to lose if I trashed out would just man I'd have to get new one anyway).

Was hoping that it would be an open switch with contacts that were corroded but turned out actual switch was self contained but the actual lever was gummed up and spring holding bearing at end was dreadful so replaced spring and cleaned everything up and put back together when I dropped a tiny screw on floor to be lost forever, very annoying and knew I had nothing to match it so while wondering if I can pinch one from somewhere else not as important I noticed a screw sitting on bench drill table which was a perfect match (no idea where it's from but if left there obviously weren't needed anymore lol). All back together and indicators work spot on now, so £30 saved not getting another set of switches :) and then subsequently spent again on another set of decals.

Also got log book back from DVLA :)20180129_163904.thumb.jpg.161e994179cf4c39c3950e8f891832b2.jpg

.....when I dropped a tiny screw on floor to be lost forever, very annoying and knew I had nothing to match it so while wondering if I can pinch one from somewhere else not as important I noticed a screw sitting on bench drill table which was a perfect match (no idea where it's from but if left there obviously weren't needed anymore lol)....

It was probably the one you dropped....I've had little parts "ping" off (into subspace??) only to find 'em again in totally weird places. But well done on the repair. Get them decals on again. Do you know about the water misting technique? It calms the glue down immensely and gives you a bit more room for manoeuvre.

See http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-to-apply-vinyl-cut-graphics-and-stickers-/10000000001395173/g.html

.....when I dropped a tiny screw on floor to be lost forever, very annoying and knew I had nothing to match it so while wondering if I can pinch one from somewhere else not as important I noticed a screw sitting on bench drill table which was a perfect match (no idea where it's from but if left there obviously weren't needed anymore lol)....

It was probably the one you dropped....I've had little parts "ping" off (into subspace??) only to find 'em again in totally weird places. But well done on the repair. Get them decals on again. Do you know about the water misting technique? It calms the glue down immensely and gives you a bit more room for manoeuvre.

See http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-to-apply-vinyl-cut-graphics-and-stickers-/10000000001395173/g.html

Decals attempt 2

Paint is definitely dry now and new decals have arrived.

20180203_091729.thumb.jpg.6cc78121e81ee72fbcb6dcb59e396011.jpg

Tank was an absolute female dog, with the starting K / ending ki being at a different angle and curving so ended up having to do the letters separately, happy with result despite this but not a perfect replacement.

20180203_104744.thumb.jpg.441775e517efe3971e4addfabc73bcb1.jpg

Rear decals nice and easy just stick on, except they are actually in 2 sections (silver with a black decal edging) and the front peelable seemed to have extra tough glue but being patient I managed to avoid a disaster and all done.

20180203_110113.thumb.jpg.dbc0036595758d8ddd0ad619f8d567a0.jpg

Have now put more clear coat on tank covering decals, this will now need a rub down tomorrow and another coat and then it is ready to go back on the bike. Will be given a week to dry properly and then a proper wash down of bike, amazing how dusty garage is, and hopefully get it booked in for MOT next weekend and get some finished pictures.

Good job , glad you saved having to do it all over again. I'm sure you have looked into it but may I recommend using 2500 grade wet and dry with soapy water for the final rub down followed by G3 polishing compound. When you're working it pays to listen carefully to the swishing sound of the wet and dry paper . When the sound stops it's done it's job and it's time to move to the next bit . Good luck and here's looking forward to the final photo shoot . :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Was hoping this would be finished and would have finished pics by now but ended up a nightmare weekend and since come down with chest infection so been in bed all week.

Bike was put back together finally on Saturday ready for it's MOT and after putting some fuel in I got distracted after putting tap on prime and come back to finding fuel all over the floor, so get it all cleaned down and finally started but didn't get a chance for pictures as by this time was late to MOT, weather was disgusting so came back absolutely filthy so will have to get some when cleaned down again.

Unfortunately failed on a few bits. Need to do rear wheel bearing and a rear tyre but the most annoying was rear shocks failed which are brand new, when I ordered these I was aware there are two different sizes (300mm and 350mm) so I measured ones already on there which were 300mm but turns out it should have the 350mm ones so these don't have enough travel.

Old ones are same size so will be same issue and no guarantee another station won't have same view, but new 350mm ones are on now.

They turned out an absolute nightmare as the bushings had a metal insert which was slightly larger than bracket on swing arm, had other bushings which fitted but must have been larger than correct ones as when pushed into shock it compressed bolt hole too much for bolt to fit, didn't notice this until I was trying to put bolt in. Luckily had some more with larger holes that finally worked out so 3rd time lucky.

20180216_153333.thumb.jpg.4f9867403dcd9f5eaa04cd0cff399af3.jpg

Interesting, this makes me wonder how all the Harley riders who fit lowering kits that consist of very short shocks get away with it at the MOT . Anyway those shocks do look nice. The weather looks good tomorrow so can we expect the final roll out photo shoot ?

Hard to say atm still got rear wheel bearing to do which I'm going to tackle tomorrow if it goes ok (experience with bearings on cars is they never do) and I've got enough good weather and daylight left to give it a quick hose down then hopefully will get it done then. If it ends up still in pieces then that's it for this month as away all next weekend.

Yeah, tbh was a confusing one as it was flagged as 'dangerous' as well, but if that's the case surely hard tail bikes are death traps :roll: that said I'm not exactly small so a bit of extra bounce won't hurt. If you need a new pair of black forks btw I've got some spare that will fit yours :wink:

Got round to doing the protection for swing arm today as well, just a square of rubber running from plastic down to swing arm keep it cleaner hopefully.

Well wheel bearing time and I was absolutely gobsmacked how easy they turned out to be once wheel was off it took about 30mins to remove and install new bearings, most of that time finding right size sockets to push bearings in with. So threw the wheel in back of car and 10 min drive to bike shop and one nice new Michelin pilot street on it as well.

Reassembly took slightly longer as still aching from being unwell so juggling wheel into place while trying to push axle through and line up everything else at same time was a bit of a pain but I got there.

So adjusted chain slack tightened everything down and wheeled it out off the garage for a clean.

20180217_153538.thumb.jpg.0654e663fa27beadaefd1beb959a037a.jpg

Now just before the 'final' pictures there's a few bits I will revisit mainly can and bracket are in need of a real clean down and haven't touched engine but for all intent and purposes I give you my completed ER5.

20180217_154357.thumb.jpg.0620a7b57f5a3acda147870083e5d156.jpg

20180217_154417.thumb.jpg.c1b94cb64017befc3364919fa0513437.jpg

20180217_154440.thumb.jpg.58c8865e87005151c13206077c589117.jpg

Think I've learnt a hell of a lot doing this and it's been a fun project but next one I do will definitely be in the summer! Thank you for your interest.

Crickey ! When I saw the first picture I thought you had set the thing on fire ! Anyway its looking brilliant and is a testament to your hard work , top job .