Engine off should I be able to shift with no clutch

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
Martin_sa
Been Liked: 1 time

Engine off should I be able to shift with no clutch

#1 Post by Martin_sa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:47 pm

So I have bought a project gs750 bobber bike that just needed the wiring in I'm a sparky by trade but no mechanic.
Wired it all all good but before I take it out I'm able to shift through gears with out the clutch when their is no key I. Ignotion? Is that right?
Also when I'm doing it I can't just straight shift I have to roll the bike to find it goes through the gears? I just wanna make sure Its correct before I take it out!
Thanks

dynax
Bike(s): UM Renegade Classic 125 named Xena
Has Liked: 635 times
Been Liked: 411 times

Re: Engine off should I be able to shift with no clutch

#2 Post by dynax » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Sounds about right, but i am no expert :lol:

Hello and welcome :thumb:

exportmanuk
Bike(s): BMW R1200RT
Been Liked: 26 times

#3 Post by exportmanuk » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi

Most bikes will shift much easier if the bike is moving

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Has Liked: 1488 times
Been Liked: 489 times

#4 Post by Richzx6r » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi and welcome

There doesn't sound like theres any problems there :thumb:
Its better when its loaded

winston smith
Bike(s): TDM850 - 4tx
Has Liked: 53 times
Been Liked: 100 times

#5 Post by winston smith » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 am

Hi.
Putting it in simple terms, the way gears mesh together is via dogs (small cylindrical protrusions on the receiving gear) and dog-holes ( slots about 4 times the length of the dog on the driven gear), usually 2 of each person gear. When you change gear a selector fork pushed the gears together to make those dogs go into the dog-holes.
When riding all the gears are spinning on their shafts - allbeit at different speeds, so the dogs slot in quite easily. At standstill only the driven half of the gearbox is spinning, so the dogs won't slot in as easily ( lots of bikes clunk going into first gear from neutral).
With the engine off & bike stationary nothing is spinning so there's about a 60/40 chance of the dogs and dog-holes lining up at any moment, so turning the back wheel a little helps line everything up.

So, yes, your bike seems pretty normal based on you description πŸ‘

That's the simplest description I can thing of without pictures/video. Theirs plenty of stuff on YouTube that explains it better and in as much detail as you want - The Workshop is one channel that I've used for odd bits of tech info.

Tankbag
Bike(s): Hayabusa Gen1
Has Liked: 1007 times
Been Liked: 359 times

#6 Post by Tankbag » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:13 am

Groete πŸ‘
If it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has Liked: 2804 times
Been Liked: 2518 times

#7 Post by fastbob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Martin_sa wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:47 pm
So I have bought a project gs750 bobber bike that just needed the wiring in I'm a sparky by trade but no mechanic.
Wired it all all good but before I take it out I'm able to shift through gears with out the clutch when their is no key I. Ignotion? Is that right?
Also when I'm doing it I can't just straight shift I have to roll the bike to find it goes through the gears? I just wanna make sure Its correct before I take it out!
Thanks
Sounds absolutely normal to me .

fastbob

#8 Post by fastbob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:30 pm

winston smith wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 am
Hi.
Putting it in simple terms, the way gears mesh together is via dogs (small cylindrical protrusions on the receiving gear) and dog-holes ( slots about 4 times the length of the dog on the driven gear), usually 2 of each person gear. When you change gear a selector fork pushed the gears together to make those dogs go into the dog-holes.
When riding all the gears are spinning on their shafts - allbeit at different speeds, so the dogs slot in quite easily. At standstill only the driven half of the gearbox is spinning, so the dogs won't slot in as easily ( lots of bikes clunk going into first gear from neutral).
With the engine off & bike stationary nothing is spinning so there's about a 60/40 chance of the dogs and dog-holes lining up at any moment, so turning the back wheel a little helps line everything up.

That's the simplest description I can thing of without pictures/video. Theirs plenty of stuff on YouTube that explains it better and in as much detail as you want - The Workshop is one channel that I've used for odd bits of tech info.
Unless it's a Kawasaki . ( Well not all Kawasaki's ) They will not shift from first to second while static . They are designed that way to make it much easier to find neutral .

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Has Liked: 1488 times
Been Liked: 489 times

#9 Post by Richzx6r » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:39 pm

fastbob wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Hi.

Unless it's a Kawasaki . ( Well not all Kawasaki's ) They will not shift from first to second while static . They are designed that way to make it much easier to find neutral .
Mine does....its a bugger sometimes to find neutral :scratch:
Its better when its loaded

fastbob

#10 Post by fastbob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Richzx6r wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:39 pm
fastbob wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Hi.

Mine does....its a bugger sometimes to find neutral :scratch:
I can't speak for more modern Kawasaki's but many older ones including the ER5 have a simple device consisting of 3 ball bearings that sit in a groove on the gear shaft and prevent movement into second gear . As soon as the shaft rotates the balls come out of the groove due to centrifugal force and you can change gear .