Due to lack of support the default style on the forum is going to be changing and the current default style will be removed!

For more information see this thread
https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =6&t=71349

Newbie needing advice

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has liked: 2962 times
Been liked: 2690 times

Re: Newbie needing advice

Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:00 pm

So you're saying that so much water collects in the float bowl of this particular carburettor that it rises to the level of the gasket and somehow damages it's sealing properties . Would the water not have to displace all of the fuel in order for this to happen ? And why would a seal that's impervious to petrol be so affected by water ? Teflon tape ? Do you mean PTFE tape as used in domestic heating systems by any chance ? And all this water , how does it get in ? The only route I can think of would be via a pod style air filter . If the air box is correctly installed I can see no more reason for this carburettor to ingest water than any other . It can't be through the bowl gasket because if water can get in then petrol would most certainly get out . It might help if you were to make yourself just a little bit clearer regarding this matter .
Last edited by fastbob on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Has liked: 1582 times
Been liked: 516 times

Post by Richzx6r » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:04 pm

fastbob wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:00 pm
So you're saying that so much water collects in the float bowl of this carburettor that it rises to the level of the gasket and
:scratch: I some how think you have problems if your getting water in to your float bowl.......aka your filling your tank with the wrong stuff
Its better when its loaded

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Richzx6r wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:04 pm
fastbob wrote:
So you're saying that so much water collects in the float bowl of this carburettor that it rises to the level of the gasket and
:scratch: I some how think you have problems if your getting water in to your float bowl.......aka your filling your tank with the wrong stuff
Well I think that's what our new friend is suggesting .

ftw

Post by ftw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:40 am

fastbob wrote:
So you're saying that so much water collects in the float bowl of this particular carburettor that it rises to the level of the gasket and somehow damages it's sealing properties . Would the water not have to displace all of the fuel in order for this to happen ? And why would a seal that's impervious to petrol be so affected by water ? Teflon tape ? Do you mean PTFE tape as used in domestic heating systems by any chance ? And all this water , how does it get in ? The only route I can think of would be via a pod style air filter . If the air box is correctly installed I can see no more reason for this carburettor to ingest water than any other . It can't be through the bowl gasket because if water can get in then petrol would most certainly get out . It might help if you were to make yourself just a little bit clearer regarding this matter .
on a modern carb there is a drain in the bottom of the carb. tiny amounts of water collects and sinks to the bottom of the bowl harmlessly. in the kd ke kh 125 the main jet is in the drain. tiny amounts of water collect in the o ring that is supposed to seal off the main from the bowl. not the gasket, the o ring corrodes and if you wrap the outside of the o ring with ptfe tape before replacing the bowl it fixes the problem. this design is antique and bad, that's why they don't put the main jet in the drain anymore.

this is the order I thing the op should go.
1 get and read the manual. welcome to 2t you need to read how to split the cases.
2 get a case splitting tool, you do not need the original kawaka tool. I have a steering wheel puller and it works fine splitting the case.
3 get a flywheel puller.

the main crank bearing needs to be inspected and the bore needs to be checked for damage if the crank is shot.

fastbob, the 6 to 12v conversion happens at the r/r. I'm posting the wiring diagram. remember this is only the lighting side. the ignition is primitave but effective. it runs ac full wave unregulated. its unregulated because it has a dedicated ac stator coil. effective because ac is full wave by definition so it need no conversion. putting a brand new ignition on this bike is as easy as replacing the points and condenser.

here is the 4$ modern scoot r/r. could this be any easier? and if you would like the trade secret circuit diagram and explanation of how it works I also can post it and explain, but be warned I'll have to bring up trump to do it. sorry.

been learning a lot on this site. I've always been a fan of brit engineering. always wanted to know how and why you guys ride such small bikes. now I have the answer. at that point in history the rd350 was the 2t bike here in America. that frame is really nice. I see the rear sprocket is already street ready. you did really good for a noob. you picked a good platform. in America the 2 stroke ban kicked in in 1986. that bike was never imported here. all our ke kd kh have a single down tube frame. you might be lucky and have cdi. lucky they switched to 12v in 1992. there is no way I could have known this. you still will be good with the scoot r/r though.

https://sites.google.com/view/kh125uk/uk-history

johnny
Bike(s): Kawasaki Kh 125 1992

Post by johnny » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi, all.

I have to confess some of all of this is lost on me at the moment. But I am saving the pages as i go to make up an advice journal of sorts. Have got the frame stripped of all components and am now deciding whether to media blast or chemically dip the frame. Also i have a stupid question. The fuel tank has some fuel in it, barely any but enough too slosh around. The valve on the bottom is operational but i can't get the fuel to drain. I have left the tank outside my garage in a box, as don't want petrol in an unsealed container in there. what would you advise doing to drain it?

Thank you all again.

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:17 pm

johnny wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:40 pm
Hi, all.

I have to confess some of all of this is lost on me at the moment. But I am saving the pages as i go to make up an advice journal of sorts. Have got the frame stripped of all components and am now deciding whether to media blast or chemically dip the frame. Also i have a stupid question. The fuel tank has some fuel in it, barely any but enough too slosh around. The valve on the bottom is operational but i can't get the fuel to drain. I have left the tank outside my garage in a box, as don't want petrol in an unsealed container in there. what would you advise doing to drain it?

Thank you all again.
Probably best to try removing the petrol tap altogether . Try not to get old petrol on anything , it can smell really nasty and it's hard to get rid of .

johnny

Post by johnny » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi,

That worked perfectly. Can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful stand to raise the bike up for working on? I dont want a full length lift just i suppose a jack for under the frame that i can then work on the bike.

Thanks

skyrider
Bike(s): yamaha 225 serow
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 364 times

Post by skyrider » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:08 pm

yea im looking for a little hydraulic lift myself
i dont know where im going but i will when i get there

dynax
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget,
Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 496 times

Post by dynax » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:12 pm

johnny

Post by johnny » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Hi.

So kh125 frame is now blasted, horrific welding ground back and redone. Fork restoration about to begin. I am looking for advice on an engine swap. Can I use a kz125? Any ideas on alternatives?

Thank you!!

johnny

Post by johnny » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the cylinder head on my KH125 has a nikasel bore? I ask as i believe that if it is I will need it relined rather than honed. Any help appreciated!

Many thanks

Return to “Old Motorbikes, Projects and Restorations”