Due to lack of support the default style on the forum is going to be changing and the current default style will be removed!

For more information see this thread
https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/vie ... =6&t=71349

Kawasaki Z500 B2 1980 refurb after 78260 miles

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
User avatar
linuxrob
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, GS125. Z500 from new
Location: North East UK
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Kawasaki Z500 B2 1980 refurb after 78260 miles

Post by linuxrob » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Decided to make a cylinder head stand, used wood as still have some bits of my old gate left.
Basically I wanted to have the head raised up from the bench and enough clearance to get the valves in and out plus valve spring compressor in without having to balance the thing on blocks. Seen a few on youtube like a "V" shape in metal but I made just a vertical stand. The wood is a bit thick, made a "H" shape using the head gasket as a template and also marked out the holes for the studs.
1 Wood blocks assembled and ready to mark out with head gasket as template.JPG
Have a dozen 8mm coach bolt 200mm long left in my bolt draw and using my drill press made 8 holes. 8.5mm wide. I used the center 4 holes and 4 outside holes of the head. Fitted the bolts with the head gasket keeping them aligned and tightened them down.
2 coach bolts fitted and alligned with gasket and tightened up.JPG
Ran 2 M8 nuts down each stud then 1 x M8 steel washer and 1 x M10 copper washer to approx the depth to give me a full nut sticking out the 4 outside head mounts. Copper washers of course to prevent any scoring of the Aluminium head, hand tight to stop any distortion.
3 head supported and full nut on with copper washer hand tight.JPG
4 head supported undeneath on copper washer 1 nut and 1 locking nut hand tight.JPG
5 head supported.JPG
even supports the head upside down for combustion chamber cleaning and valve lapping.
6 head supported upside down.JPG

Good result. Now to get on with some work.

Rob B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

User avatar
linuxrob
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, GS125. Z500 from new
Location: North East UK
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Kawasaki Z500 B2 1980 refurb after 78260 miles

Post by linuxrob » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:22 pm

Well finally got on with the jobs to do. Cylinder Head Clean and Blasting.

The easiest (costly) option was to send it with the cases barrel etc to Tiger blast nr York for vapour blasting but being a stubborn bugger and wanting to do as much as possible myself, besides the weather is rubbish and nothing on the telly.
01-head before paint-end.JPG
02-head before paint-exh.JPG
03-head before paint-intake.JPG
Before blasting the head was washed with small tooth brushes in diesel and then with scotchbrite in hot soapy water, after drying it off with the air line used 2 coats of paint stripper, then washed 2 more times and airline dried. The combustion chambers were blasted with soda and came up great. The remaining paint had to blasted with the fine black grit I got from the media suppliers in Newton Aycliffe. Had to be very careful not to go anywhere near the bearing surfaces but even plugging a lot of it up the blast media went everywhere.
08-Head blasted-end.JPG
09-Head blasted-exh.JPG
10-Head blasted-top.JPG
05-Half blasted-detail.JPG
After blasting and blowing out with the airline the whole head was washed in diesel then in hot soapy water. A further wash with my power washer was followed by hot clean water and a dry with the airline. It is also imperative the you re-oil the valve guides after each wash, they will flash rust.
11-head wash no 4 results.JPG
12-head wash in running water and bottle brushes.JPG

A further power wash and hot water rinse was carried out followed by 2 more brush washes and power wash until no more debris was left in the bottom of the bowl. It pays to keep washing and rinsing, the power washer set to a needle spray down the oil ways was great but I ended up very wet.
13-head wash no 6 results.JPG
15-filter after.JPG
14-head wash no 8 results.JPG
When it comes to my spare head, or any other for that matter I will plug and mask everything. The soda is no problem as it dissolves in water but this fine grit was a real pain to get out. I suppose a large hot ultrasonic tank would be a good idea but for me impractical and way over budget (see comment at the start of this post).

Painting next

Rob B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Old Motorbikes, Projects and Restorations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests