Shelf life of components

Hi,

I very recently posted about my plan to rebuild my old fzr. The first piece of info I'd like to know is about the rebuild process, the order I'd like to do may not be the most efficient but the total rebuild budget wise will take me 2 years as i plan on upgrading engine internals and suspension components and everything else in between regarded as consumables i.e bearings and stuff.

I have the model with the black painted frame and i want to keep it black as i dont fancy the upkeep of the polished frame so i want to get powder coated or enameled. I plan to ride the bike when it's done not use it as a show piece.

When i have the frame done I would like to refresh the fork internals and put on decent shock but my concern is that they will probably sit for 18 months untouched. In my mind this is worse than general wear and tear but i need advice from someone who knows what they're talking about. Will the oil or seals go bad from

Just sitting so long?

The engine rebuild will be the most time consuming due to the fact that the gearbox is knackered and the cylinders are out of spec so i am boring them and geting new pistons but this all costs lots of money. Would it be best to just store the frame, wheels and all other components and leaving them till last once the engine is completed and ready to join the rest of the bike?

Last thing will be the fairings and tank to be smoothed and repainted.

Regards,Eric.

General rule of thumb for storing components is to keep them away from any source of light, heat, cold or damp, and stack them is such a way that they won't get out of shape over time.

I'm no expert, but I would expect forks and shock to survive a couple of years without issue just by following the afore - mentioned guidelines.

General rule of thumb for storing components is to keep them away from any source of light, heat, cold or damp, and stack them is such a way that they won't get out of shape over time.

I'm no expert, but I would expect forks and shock to survive a couple of years without issue just by following the afore - mentioned guidelines.

Totally agree with this !

The only thing I would add is that with suspension units and possibly bearings is to store them in such a way that they are not subject to load at all if possible.

For example a rolling chassis with rebuilt suspension would be best off not sitting on it`s wheels for months on end.

Also a light coat of WD40 or similar wouldn't do any harm as the moisture content in the air is going to be your enemy.

Good luck with the rebuild and don't forget we all love lots of pics.

Cheers

Ian