Honda S Wing 125 Project (fairings, forks and electrical)

Hi all, I've just signed up to share something that I am now committed to doing (at first willingly and now it ended up being a bigger project than I though...). Also not sure if this is a scooter friendly place but I guess I will find out!

Honda-S-Wing-125-Black-2007-Spares-Or.jpg

Example - not the one I bought but this is a reference to what it should look like in black.

I bought a Honda FES125 S Wing 2014 scooter from a police auction, stolen and recovered. Initially it didn't seem to be in to bad a shape and it was one up from my little old Piaggio that felt a bit like a toy on bigger roads.

Stated problems before purchase:

1. Top side fairings broken where they tried to get to the ignition (they didn't touch any wiring apparently, they had rolled it off around the corner before breaking the panels and getting caught early).

2. Small front triangle fairing between headlights missing.

3. Outer dashboard trim missing exposing the casing hole for replacing the bulbs.

4. Steering lock broken (not sure if I can re-seat it I haven't looked yet).

5. Number plate cracked but acceptable, easy to replace so no problem.

Problems discovered after purchase, note that I was not able to view before buying and I know I was taking a risk:

6. Steerer out of alignment (I'm not a very experienced rider so I'm surprised I managed to ride it away with this!)

7. Additional wires going straight to battery, seem to be for accessories but I'm yet to identify exactly what. One seems to be for the hot-grips which had blown the main 30amp fuse (wire had been slightly ripped out of the controller). I removed these and replaced the fuse before I could ride off. Also put in a lithium battery while I was in there...

8. 22k miles and I'm thinking it hasn't been well services, will need to take a look through it all.

9. Rear wheel makes a rubbing sound when walking the bike around, I guess it could be pads but yet to look. It does run fine when riding.

10. FILTHY!

I've done about 10 miles to get it to a location to store it, still a long way from home though as problem 6 makes me not want to do a long trip. I'm also cautious that problem 1, 2 & 3 will get me pulled over or get my neighbours suspicious... Doesn't really matter as I have all the docs and police tags to prove it but I'd like to ride into my road on a shiny new (well, second-hand...) bike.

I'd like to resolve 1, 2, 3 and 6 right away and I've started making some plans. For the fairing I've been looking at HIPS sheet plastic about 2mm, I'm going for a flexible and bouncy approach if it ever gets knocked rather than hard solid plastic that could crack/lose pieces again. Does anyone have any ideas for the materials? It would also be best to be able to cut it out in a car park without power tools. Once I get home I can take them off again and use a heatgun to get some curves in or something.

WtJCMKs

my9fyyw

25VmJxT

RH9R50K

Example - in white to clearly show the red outline of what needs to be replaced. After this are the parts that I could source for a couple of hundred £

Does anyone have any ideas for the design of the top side panels? (or I've started calling them sideburns) To be honest I'm not to keen on the default design with the curved shape and inward grove, apart from where it meets up with the headlight neatly. I also don't like how it is all one piece that wraps under the wheel arch - a nightmare to replace if I could. I'm happy to epoxy it overlapping the current fairing so there is like a step / vent style although not functional. Thought about adding a pop of colour here or maybe a gunmetal gray colour and texture. I'm trying to see this as an opportunity rather than a problem.

52759434.jpg

Example - metal and paint mixed

_111723614_speeding_motorbike.jpg

Example - colour pop on one fairing, although white I couldn't find other examples of what I mean easily

For the steerer I tried a pair of ratchets on the bolt that goes through the steerer rod... This loosened it up slightly but I couldn't turn it back straight. I've seen two other things to try but I'm not completely sure. One is to loosed a large nut that sits with the steerer through it, I can see it had threads next to it (I've just order an adjustable wrench big enough for this). The other is to loosen two bolts on either side at the bottom end of the fork and pump it down until they straighten. As the steering lock is broken I'm pretty sure its the steerer so will try the forks last if needed. Does anyone have any advice for the method / safety checks to do afterwards? I couldn't find the manual and the panels are a pain to get off around it to see any marking on the metal, any idea on the torque?

After all this I will bring it home and move on to problem 9. Once the list is finished I'm the type of person to make a new list... I can't help it. Maybe even get another bike that comes with a list! Any comments are appreciated, if none come through I will probably still post up what I have decided to do.

Will add an actual picture of it later, as I said its not with me right now so on my next visit with my tools I will show you all.

Thanks,

Anthony

Hello and welcome Lets see a picture of the actual bike please. You're going to have to point to the Steerer because I'm not sure what you're referring to . You seem to be very organized and you have some firm ideas about what you want to do so I'm not entirely sure how we can be of much assistance . Not too sure about the "Bouncy " fairing or why you have to fabricate it in a car park without any power tools though . 🤔

Hello all! Thanks for your replies and acceptance :D

I went to pickup my Piaggio (I'm selling it tonight hopefully) which was parked with the Honda yesterday and thought I would get a few pictures but had an absolute nightmare... The loop on the Honda key had snapped and fallen off of my key ring. I thought this project couldn't have any more unexpected turns. Luckily after I had got back and flipped all my furniture upside-down I found it under my bed.

Didn't get the pics as I was a bit to stressed about it all if I had lost the key then I wouldn't know what to do or if I should even continue with it. Will be heading back tomorrow with some tools to try the steerer and get some pics.

The reason for the type of material I mentioned for the fairing is I hope that it should be cheap, easy to fit and durable. The original fairing is strong but under a lot of flex it must have just snapped, I don't imagine it to go through the same stress but maybe I can make it so that if it does take a knock it will just stay the same.

To explain, maybe a plastic like this rather than forming fibreglass or moulding a thick sheet of plastic:

shop-gmbn-mud-guard-front-lifestyle-3.png?auto=format&lossless=1&w=700&h=700

(I couldn't think of another example to show for this!)

It's actually in a car park in central London, near my office. To get it home I need to do a 30 mile trip which I would definitely want the steerer sorted for and for the fairing I just don't like the thought of being pulled over so I'd rather get it semi-patched up before taking it home. I've got all the docs and V5 stuff so no worries but I'm just a bit hesitant.

Assistance, interest, advice at any point during my problems :) happy to share and receive feedback on the experience. I thought maybe someone would have an idea of how they have made custom panels easily and also help me with the mechanical parts later - I'm still learning.

I've worked out how to add web image links in but how can I add in a picture that I have taken? Needs to be uploaded to another site?

Thanks!

No need for a picture hosting site , just attach , files and submit . You still haven't told us what a " Steerer " is and I have doubts about making a homemade fairing out of flexible material in a carpark . Why don't you just hire a van and take the thing home and then buy some used bodywork off eBay ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

A week longer than expected but I'm back, my curse has continued...

I wasn't prepared to pay the £150 quote for a van to bring it home / mechanic to pick it up and take it to theirs, especially after I knew I could make it through a ride. Two things happened that day.

I moved it away from my office to a popular large motorcycle parking area in central London (Finsbury Circus Gardens) which has a ton of free bays and had never caused me any issues before. I had to make a call so I locked up and went for a 15 minute walk, came back to a ticket.... Bays were suspended without notice due to Crossrail works - on a Sunday morning at 7am...

Then I rode about 15 miles away to the edge of north London where I considered leaving the bike with a family member while I work on it. About an hour after it being outside I caught someone peeling back the cover out of the window. Scared them off but wasn't happy with leaving it there even with it locked properly to a post. So it is now home with me, awful wonky ride at top speed.

Tried calling a few scooter mechanics to get some idea of the cost if it is just to straighten and no parts are needed. All £100+ to strip the panels and straighten as they said it takes time to get all the connected panels off. Thought I'd give it a go myself first.

I've removed the Oxford hotgrips and wiring as I will check them over and then sell them. Stripped down the whole front to get a better view at the problem.

forks.thumb.jpg.bdc732347aa76dda0182249656f91e40.jpg

2133545742_strippedfront.thumb.jpg.dfbd1c34cd75fc6c036c7267dff73450.jpg

998047365_strippedfrontwithbars.thumb.jpg.8cceb3a015dc439be25e1eaf3491dbe8.jpg

2134467743_barsseatview.thumb.jpg.be77ab1ca81960d1df8aaa8cf006eafa.jpg

1792595674_barsseatview2.thumb.jpg.1654642b4d0bd4284c8f622417b1435f.jpg

1258047738_barsseatview3.thumb.jpg.5ffbca5dab578364fde00c497f576282.jpg

I think to my eye the top of the steerer tube and the bars are bent (I'm used to building bicycles so sorry if I'm using the wrong terms). It was on the center stand when I took the pics so it's not leaning, dash plastics are still pinned down in their lugs so that shouldn't be wonky. I can get used bars along with original grips which I will use to replace the hotgrips, £25 on eBay :) but I'm not going to order until I've taken the actual bars off to have a look tomorrow. In a way I prefer this being the problem as I don't like the idea of releasing the forks and headset as I don't think I have the tools to get it back together. What do you think?

Thanks,

Anthony

Low priority for the panels as I won't start doing any work until I'm certain I can fix the steering.

371419840_fairingfrontview.thumb.jpg.b6f1ab2145b5e8a1c98300ced6f75dfd.jpg

Middle triangle piece missing between lights

459586774_leftfrontfairing.thumb.jpg.339b25ce9708a099531e60359252cdf4.jpg

Left side missing, my hand shows where the corner should be roughly

1123879541_rightfrontfairing.thumb.jpg.30656eda6e96fe6b8f5ea31cdcba0347.jpg

Very large piece missing here

I've had an offer of £100 for a replacement of that large panel, its in red and decent used condition. Other bits like the triangle and dash panel will probably be another £100.

But I have other (fun) ideas...

One is to use a wire mesh to form the shape and size that is missing, wrap tape on the outer side to form a skin over it - fill it will resin which should also fuse it to the original part. Peel the tape off, sand and paint. Seems like it would be strong and easy to join and with the metal mesh might stop someone doing the same again when trying to break it.

Other is that I try some sort of plastic sheet to pin over the missing area, slightly overlapping the broken edge with some style to make it look normal. I thought maybe this could be like a gunmetal colour rather than black. Both sides would mirror to cover the larger of the broken pieces. No joke the best and cheapest material I have found is a bath panel from Screwfix £12.99 and its massive could even double up on the excess to make it stronger. Then again need to paint.

Hi both, thanks for the replies.

Is that a split?

Not that I could visibly see, it was some oil / grease that was along that edge. I will double check this and give it a wipe to check.

There's some pictures of a good front end https://www.xdalys.lt/en/honda-swing-12 ... -absorbers

I am thinking that the lower end looks ok but where the bolt hole is at the top might be bent. Once I have the bars off I will check the top of the forks isn't to bad and maybe try to straighten it.

My thoughts on the whole look of this is that it was dropped and took the impact at one of the bar ends.

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi WD-40, thanks for sharing the correct view of the way the steering stem should look (also found a diagram here https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/125-SCOOTER/S-WING/2012/FES125AC/Frame/STEERING-STEM/90884/F_07/2/14169). I've taken the bars off and they have a slight bulge around the bolt hole but they actually don't seem too bad or bent when off. I've noticed that the bolt hole at the top of the steering stem is not straight with the wheel and bottom of the forks. I didn't think that whole part could even rotate...

Do you think the steering tube could be twisted back straight?

What tool would I need to remove the top nut that holds the fork and bearings in? Its the black circle with notches in it.

Everything is stripped off the bars now and they are indoors with the rest of the panels.

1009613154_oilonfork.thumb.jpg.55f71122228fac14a94b2f82bfbc3412.jpg

Oil on fork for JRH

1154151579_barsbottomview.thumb.jpg.a2421f19ac1b82d9df3bbc0d3857044e.jpg

I flipped the bars to have a look at the alignment from the bottom

1096246771_barsbottomview2.thumb.jpg.ba6e972453fd8b9742fd59d44fb98217.jpg

and the through bolt holes

604308229_barsseatview.thumb.jpg.731c0c7251faae557696f559355ff81c.jpg

and the view from where the seat position would be

938391315_wheelstraight-topforkholeoutofalignment.thumb.jpg.803afd3380a1bfd03f341a9f4faadeae.jpg

Can clearly see with the wheel fairly straight that the through bolt hole at the top of the steering stem is not in alignment

I think you need to bring it to a proper mechanic and get them to checked it out in person. They will tell you what the damage is and if it's safe to be put back on the road or not. Don't take a risk with it.