The ZXR project thread :D

Helloooo...

So here begins the zxr thread. Managed to get a few things done today :) which included:

Removed all the fairing.

pic1.thumb.jpg.299407693d70f472961d887e5f707c94.jpg

Bought headlights and went to change the bulb that was blown to find the cap on the bulb wasn't on properly so plugged it in and low and behold headlight bulb wasn't blown. Good job i hadn't spent the tag price of £11.89 for two bulbs!! Sam has a trade card for halFRAUDS and we got them for £2.98 :D would take them back but going to keep them as spares.

pic2.thumb.jpg.45f576f7a052bb0f580f4d46173c0a36.jpg

Then the fun part :shock: :roll: Removing all the callipers to refurb them.... first the back caliper, removed it fairly easily and it was in a GRUBBY state... dont think the 20 years had been good to it tbh. Sadly i dont have pics of the outside before we did it but have this.

pic3.thumb.jpg.85537411d415fba19380b6fc88c457ab.jpg

pic4.thumb.jpg.d1db3e4d7701fca93c9b0249b96c9d78.jpg

Grubby right? Or is that too clean you think lol! So anyway sam left to take a friend somewhere so i was left to sand them down ready for painting! :shock: what a crappy and boring, tedious job lol!!! Anyway some pics:

pic5.thumb.jpg.6eb584e9117a1382dd3ed78da5a75625.jpg

pic6.thumb.jpg.a726662dfcd661ee98ca8078c0106b84.jpg

Then we primered them:

pic7.thumb.jpg.2bf52b00231dcb4b082afa950fdf4256.jpg

pic8.thumb.jpg.d8ce3052eb9674e636b055f300e29a2b.jpg

Then went to the nearest auto shop and bought some gold paint, sadly i think its abit silvery for a gold but nevermind, anything would look better to what it looked like before!

pic9.thumb.jpg.51710b2c6ad5469a2ea1972181c796b7.jpg

Well then i would've fitted the new seals but i got sent the wrong ones :roll: so as the old ones were ok we refitted them and put the new pads in :) old bolts in sadly and didn't get chance to paint them but going to order some stainless ones :D

Final pics of rear caliper:

pic10.thumb.jpg.11fc3ccd56dfcba901dfcab912f11182.jpg

pic11.thumb.jpg.28a6c9f4571fcb2bbe4a14a98610682f.jpg

And old vs. new:

pic12.thumb.jpg.cb851fc1f5fc495255b976ee8b47763a.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed reading so far. Hoping to do the fronts tommorow but we will see what happens with sam being at work and i havnt a clue what to do :P

looking good :thumb:

edited pics cos they was HUGE!! and was taking ages to load from external source

made them a bit smaller like half the size and now hosted on the forum :) should load better for slow internet users too :wink:

Helps pistons slide over seals, especially when new. Used to have sticking pistons and overheating, warped discs until I was told about it. About £5 a pot on eBay. Worth every penny. Great build Nat. If you need any bits, I know someone with some ZX400 bits, including an engine and headers??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ah we used new brake fluid :) slid in nice and easy. But if i get some.probs ill know why lol! Oooo headers ey? Ask him how much as mine are blowing and they're literally like hens teeth :roll: not wanting to splash out for new ones too :

Lol eab! Not sure indy, probs full strip and rebuild and paint apart from the engine as that's sweet.

Bit of an update:

Decided to try and strip one of the front calipers myself...... dont think it was a good idea lmao! Stripped the thread inside where one of the bolts go to hold the two halves together :roll: i think tbh it was going to happen regardless who had done it! So will get sam to drill it out and rethread it, and replace the bolt as thats fooked too!

I left the other one alone and gave up trying to get the pistons out on the one i partly dismantled as id rather not do more damage. Seriously thinking of paying someone to do it for me haha!!!

Nat, I have a spare front calliper that should be the same size, if yours is buggered, let me know if you want it :thumb:

Aww cheers :) not sure how buggered this one is until sam has a look...... so hopefully i may not require it :)

If all else fails, pop it in the post and I'll have a look at it for ya :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks both of you but magic sam fixed it :D has removed a bit of thread but not enough to cause a problem.

Some numnut must've had the calipers apart before because look!

http://www.imgur.com/xLXBU.jpg

Some idiot replaced the allen.bolts with a hex one.... god knows how they go it in! Too small space for socket or spanned so sam used an extractor.

Got both calipers in half:

http://www.imgur.com/davM8.jpg

They're in a right sorry state and we need to get the pistons out as i forgot to squeeze them out whilst they were still attached to the lines :oops: any ideas???

http://www.imgur.com/NpgJz.jpg

I use a big Rawlbolt to grip the inside of the piston, hold Rawlbolt in a vice while getting caliper very hot with a blowtorch. Tap caliper with a mallet until it turns. When it frees off, spray some WD40 or 3in1 around the piston and gently turn caliper around piston until it's out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I use a big Rawlbolt to grip the inside of the piston, hold Rawlbolt in a vice while getting caliper very hot with a blowtorch. Tap caliper with a mallet until it turns. When it frees off, spray some WD40 or 3in1 around the piston and gently turn caliper around piston until it's out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I need the piston in one piece so wouldn't this destroy them? Also we were thinking of putting the two halves together, reattaching the banjo and squeezing the piston out. But most of the brake fluid is out of the line now so dont know if this would work?

If you have some fluid lying about i find it easy just to start bleeding through as the moment you get pressure the piston starts pushing out until it pops out as does the fluid!

I like projects so I will be watching your progress :D

Ill try air first, using the compressor.

Got a present today! :D well not a present but still was excited to see it lol!

http://www.imgur.com/3Emmd.jpg

http://www.imgur.com/P4f6W.jpg

Ta da! Fairing is now complete :) not bad for £35 including p&p. Will be sanded down like the rest and getting sprayed black. Seriously considering spraying it matte black but not ratty, properly done and keeping the red frame. What do you think?