YAMAHA FZS FAZER 600 "CATEGORY C" RESTORATION PROJECT

Hi folks,

I did not expect to be doing another restoration thread so soon after my last but....You know how it is :D

Browsing Ebay like you do,saw a 2003 Yamaha Fazer for sale about 30 miles away and it claimed to only have 9400 miles on the clock and it was Catagory C.

So as it was a new listing I did some rapid research,like whats this cat c really all about ?

Definitive anwser gained from the Association of British Insurers :

CAT A = The vehicle has not been repaired following extreame damage,it was deemed too damaged to be repairable with little or no salvageable parts (often used also with Fatacs and this vehicle must be crushed)

CAT B = The vehicle has not been repaired following significant damage,it was deemed too damaged to be repairable however did have salvageable parts (so basicaly can be broken for parts)

CAT C = the vehicle was repairable , but the repair costs exceed the vehicle value,the insurer chose not to repair for economic reasons

(£2500 bike gets a broken fairing a footpeg,indicator side panel,clutch lever cost of parts from Yamaha + Yamaha mechanic +bike hire for insured = more than £2500 against you or me buying parts on ebay used fitting yourself and no bike hire about £300)

CAT D = The vehicle was repairable,but the repair cost was significant compared to the vehicle value,the insurer chose not to repair for economic reasons (same as C but a finer line between write off or not)

So having researched all this and looked into the Bike and checking its milage was genuine ect on Mycarcheck.com for £9.99 We went to have a look at it :D

Went to the guys house he buys from insurance and sells on but seemed really helpfull and even let me ride it up a private road,Blimey that engine sounded good !

He ofered me PX on my old XJ600N sight unseen and even offered to deliver new bike and pick up my old one free so I paid £500 plus my old bike to total £1250 which he wanted for the Fazer.....Bargain :D

When you buy a CAT C there is no log book as it and the currnet MOT are sent back to DVLA and burned or something !

You have to get a Form V62 fill it in then send it off with £25 and a couple weeks later you get the V5 in your name (do not forget to fill in the V11 SORN notice at the same time or you get a tax evasion fine if you are keeping it off road)

That is how easy it is to buy a CAT C bike :cheers:

EDIT : DVLA sent the £25 back to me and stated there is not a fee for economic write offs !

1867792127_181011(17).JPG.19ef4243da597e704a02b4e2a5def0db.JPG

Edited by polecat

:yay: another restoration thread by Polecat. Guaranteed to be of the highests caliber.

How kind :D well this is a diferent kettle of fish to the last one but should be no less interesting (to somebody marrooned in a lighthouse for 6 months with no telly and the nearest woman is 50 miles away)

noooooooo... You cant take the cat C off like you can with cars. It is for ever a cat C, even when repaired. You cant get it checked out and changed (So I have read somewhere) You may want to check though :s

noooooooo... You cant take the cat C off like you can with cars. It is for ever a cat C, even when repaired. You cant get it checked out and changed (So I have read somewhere) You may want to check though :s

I have done complete checks about the whole thing and Cat c is Economic not a reflection on the damage on the bike, cars that are Cat c need a vehicle inspection by VOSA but not for bikes.

The Only way to find a bike is CAT c is to do an HPI check as there is no reference on the log book

The insurance companies will KNOW it is a Category D Write-Off. The owner may well not know. There is no obligation TO know.

There is also NO obligation to notify that it was written off. Being 'written off' for Categories C and D is only a financial calculation.

If it was Category A or B, this would show on vehicle databases and the insurance would likely be refused anyway.

I would rather this was a restoration thread not an argument about myths on what a CAT C is I have contacted the MIB,VOSA and DLVA and had discussions with all 3 and have my facts correct at the time of writing :)

My intention is to keep this Bike but if I DID sell it I would no doubt mention to the Buyer it had damage once but the parts were replaced because that is how I deal with people..But if anybody has a bike over 5 years old that has not had parts changed I would be suprised and If they sold that bike they would not have to list the parts they changed for what ever reason inless they chose to.

:yay: another restoration thread by Polecat. Guaranteed to be of the highests caliber.

How kind :D well this is a diferent kettle of fish to the last one but should be no less interesting (to somebody marrooned in a lighthouse for 6 months with no telly and the nearest woman is 50 miles away)

How do you know where I live?

cat c is normally noted on the v5 document at the bottom and as said before there is no way to have that removed off the v5

No it is not and has not since the new V5C (Red one) and it only applied to Vehicles that require a VIC and Motorcycles do not.

As I said I Do not wish to keep going over these myths and guesses as I have made all the enquiries with the proper authorities.

Anybody wanting to examine my V5 is welcome to pop around :D

Anyhow.... started to strip down the bike today and take off all the damaged parts,which went a lot better than expected despite the fact that the HAYNES manual is shared with the Thundercat and The Fazer is a little sidelined I felt (as far as photos go in the book)

The Fuel tank comes up a on a little hinge revealing a fuel tap which you must switch off before removing the tank (good thinking)

Anyhow being an extra saftey squirrel I read "disconect battery before removing fuel tank"

Bearing in mind it is 7am on sunday morning ... I disconect the battery and the Frigging alarm goes off :shock:

Mopping the blood from my broken ears I remember somthing about Datatool system 3 alarm having a service mode where you put in the ignition key and press the button on the fob for 3 seconds ...only problem then is it will beep like a chafinch every 5 seconds until you put the battery back in the bike (drove me nuts by the end of the day,no wonder people smash them with a hammer on utube)

I took the last of the Paintable bits off the bike then stupidly thought,why not put in the restrictor kit while everything is all off ..........

1.JPG.4618fa58de77c6fb3c2c5b25148a2cda.JPG

2.JPG.3f858ebffa66c93da24d5353dae3f79e.JPG

3.JPG.ac93239114181d4cf9356467f9ff560b.JPG

4.JPG.58e93e96c9d8f730a5aa2a5957c9f571.JPG

5.JPG.ba46dbe4912bf40b5ba832184374f0d4.JPG

6.JPG.25064c4b75b2845c3bd79cc72ce1f68d.JPG

FITTING 33BHP RESTRICTION KIT

So I bought this set of washers from a guy on ebay for £32 + £2 postage They are made from Stainless steel and have a rounded triangle hole off center and come with certificates from this guy who also makes them himself.

I read the HAYNES a couple of times on removing carbs and then continued to fit the kit which should take an hour but I am already 4 hours in to it and still not finished :roll:

The Fazer has a neat trick where the Airbox slides back on two slots when the bolts are undone but unfortunatly it still does not allow much room for manouver.

The haynes was so busy concentrating on the Thundercat model that it neglected to tell me to remove several other things to get said airbox to move :D

I had no intention of removing the carbs completly but hoped to slide the washers up into the outlets but in order to get them in the jubilee clips had to be completly undone as it was a very tight fit.

once i managed to get the carbs away from the engine it was pretty easy to now slip in the two outer washers but the inner ones were a real pig and I was staring to find the weak point in the design of this kit .........

Being that the hole had to go nearest the bottom it was hard to do that when inserting them "blind" in the inner carb outlets whereas had the hole been in the center (like Fi International kits) then it would not matter if they moved as you shove them in.

The second thing is being that they are stainless steel,when you drop them (and you will) it is really hard to get them out from the area on the engine they fell into (non magnetic)

It took best part of hour and a half to get the two inner washers fitted as there was hardly any room to get my hand in and fit them but once they were all snug it was easy to press the carbs back into the outlets and the airfilter back into the inlets.

The Big problem that finished me off for the day was getting the bolt and spacer back into the jubilee clips on the inner carbs as its like trying to line up the bolt with the hole while holding it from turning and keeping the spacer from falling off the bolt and then trying to get the bolt to catch the hole :roll: all this was easy on the outer clips but on the inner ones it is a nightmare !

It was getting dark and my patience was ragged so I decided to finish off that tomorrow and then I can Fire it up and see what happens.

Put the battery in the house to charge overnight so the stupid datatool alarm will be beeping all night :oops:

10.JPG.b5dcc033bac2a064813ab260019d05e9.JPG

Can I just confirm, is this a list of the damage? "a broken fairing a footpeg,indicator side panel,clutch lever" Is that it?

Here is a full list of the damage :

Fairing ............ pretty much destroyed..........replaced £130

L/H seat panel......cracked............................replaced £20

R/H brake lever ........broken.........................replaced £11

Fuel tank .........5p piece sized dent...............will fix

Rear pillion grab rail .........missing................replaced £15

L/H mirror..............scratched......................not to bothered at this time

L/H foot peg .........small scrap on tip...........not to bothered about this

Cost to repaint as matching not really an option will be £120 materials

Total cost £296

Insurance cost would be Genuine Yamaha parts fitted by Yamaha dealer and bike hire while works being done which I added up to about £2400 so they wrote it off.

One of the problems they faced was the availibility of the front fairing also because it is not a Foxeye and when I looked into it was almost impossible to get short of ordering from Yamaha in Japan,which would add to the bike hire cost waiting for parts.

I was lucky to get one on ebay with no damage :cheers:

Bearing in mind it is 7am on sunday morning ... I disconect the battery and the Frigging alarm goes off :shock:

Mopping the blood from my broken ears I remember somthing about Datatool system 3 alarm having a service mode where you put in the ignition key and press the button on the fob for 3 seconds ...only problem then is it will beep like a chafinch every 5 seconds until you put the battery back in the bike (drove me nuts by the end of the day,no wonder people smash them with a hammer on utube)

just read this

i cant remember how i used to do it but you can remove the battery without it been in service mode!

im not sure if you just remove the battery then disarm the alarm when it activates then put it in ferry mode so the shock sensing is off

just read this

i cant remember how i used to do it but you can remove the battery without it been in service mode!

im not sure if you just remove the battery then disarm the alarm when it activates then put it in ferry mode so the shock sensing is off

I tried that but it would not disarm until i connected the battery again :hammer:

Can you remember where the battery of the alarm is ? maby if I took that out ? as over the next few weeks it will be beeping away like a loony bike (My neighbours would be really greatfull if you can remember what you did :)

There are good vids on Utube onb how to fix a System 3 (involves bashing it hard with a hammer when its on the concrete floor :D )

4 hours this morning trying to do up 2 jubilee clips !! thanks to god I am not charging by the hour :D

Finally decided I was not going to get them screws back in the clips so had to remove the carbs again do them up and then put it all back togather.

Thought the datatool alarm was going to give me trouble cos I had pulled the battery without disconnecting the inline fuse (where ever that is )

Anyhoo put the fuel tank back on plugged in the battery,little bit of choke and it burst into life on the touch of the button ...YAY...

Sounds the same as it did before Restrictoin and reving it up still seems to have more than enough power :bike2:

So now the bike is restricted I can get on with the Fun part of painting :D

I honestly can't remember how I did it I'm sure I could figure it out if it was in front of me :lol:

You did disarm the alarm before removing the battery then if it goes off just disarm it again?

What a lovely day for painting !!

I knew it was going to be a sunny day today so got up at 7am (yes there are TWO 7 o'clocks in a day ! )

First thing I did was build myself a Spray booth :D

Buy 4 sheets of plastic dust sheets and staple them to the inside of your Shed or consevetory to keep the dust off your painting and more important the paint of the other halfs valuebles :lol:

791664903_01112011(2).JPG.59e0d8a0c13ee2280dcfea4d98e90d7e.JPG

289550482_01112011(1).JPG.87b4bf3e60c40f5025ac4c1010cffd11.JPG

Next thing was to make a spray list 1,center panel 2 mudguard,3 left side panel ,4 right side panel the reason I do this is because if you spray 1 first in undercoat,then 1 will be dry first for the top coats later on.

Rubbed down all the panels in 180 grit wet and dry in a bucket of washing up liqued to get rid of wax and polish ect then went over them with 360 grit to level them off for primer coats (once all the stickers and bits and bobs were removed)

once Dry rub down with white spirit then rub with a clean cloth to get the spirit off.

I am spraying 3 coats of undercoat , 3 base coat and 3 laquer coats, a fourth coat will be sprayed on certain parts after decals are fitted and Halfords fuel proof paint on the Fuel tank will be sprayed over when decals are fitted on that in a few weeks.

note the darker side panel is a replacement I bought on Ebay for £15 as my left one had a crack in it

548839673_01112011(3).JPG.71e175bfbccb02e473d19d97b95d2ace.JPG

1599290399_01112011(5).JPG.114b5916c4db4ad176b3315ec9687a29.JPG

I ordered a new brake lever from Ebay....simple mine is broke need a new one

Ordered of this seller and wait and few days later a parcel arrives ....open it up excitedly (like you do) and see a clutch lever :roll:

Phone up seller and say you sent a clutch lever "yeah these things happen, we sell a lot of stuff,send me back the clutch lever and i'll send you a brake lever and refund you the postage " wait a few more days and a brake lever arrives,great send email to seller saying brake lever here now can I have my refund on the postage ?

Today a packet arrives .... A brake lever ...... cool now I have two :roll:

will I have to send another one back ? where is it all going to end :shock: