Tidying up a not so old bike...

My GS500 is not the most exciting bike, in anyone's book. It was not in too bad a condition but it was left outside, unused over summer.

I've changed the battery and that was fine for about two days, now I'm after a starter solenoid, but can't really afford £30 for one. I've also had a look on ebay for a tank as mine has a nasty dent in it. They are so expensive! :shock: So I had a look at bagster tank covers - they're £130. Put those ideas on the back burners me thinks.

Ok, so down to the meat of the thread. I want to respray parts of the frame and a few of the metal bits, maybe the tank and side fairings too, just to stop the bike looking like a bucket of rat droppings. Can anyone help with advice? Where do you get your paint from? Can it all be done while the engine and bits are still attached?

I can't strip the bike down too much (I don't have a garage, tools, or know how. I'm game, but my girlfriend isn't as keen) and I did use the bike for commuting but as I now have a car, I don't need the bike so much. Also, I need to do it as cheap as I can (I'm still only able to work two days a week after my crash in April) and have almost no money.

Also as an aside does anyone know what difference there is between the 500e and 500f frames? It might be nice to fit a fairing on there one day....

I really do not belive you can paint a frame without stripping it

What you could do is using a small model brush paint the frame with hamerite smooth to protect it until you are ready for a proper respray (where you would strip off the old paint anyway)

Sand off any rust with a small piece of 180 grit then just brush paint all the visable frame,that would make it look a lot more tidy and help protect until you are better disposed.

Another thing you can cover the side fairings in Carbon film which would smarten it up without needing to go through the emotion of painting :D

You can get your tank dent removed by sending it off to a dent removal company for around £150 Or if you feel confident you can buy the tool needed DIY (it is a system that pushes the dent out from the inside )

It seems to me you are not in a position to Do a normal restore so maby think more about preservation for the moment ?

use plenty of waxoil / acf50 / wd40 when you have done your Tidy up

• 11 months later...

sounds like you are more interested in how the bike looks as opposed to how it is mechanically.

15 quid for a solenoid on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... _PrefLoc=1.

might cause all kinds of expensive wear and damage not replacing it. i'm sure the various forums out there can give you some guidance on how to fit.

brush touch up the frame with hammerite or kurust - its dries black - couple of coats should do it.

tbh i wouldn't be doing much paintwork with winter coming - if the bike is going to be left out over the winter (i'm assuming uncovered) - you'll prolly have to repaint.

maybe invest in a cover - m and p are doing them for 20 quid just now - and forget the painting until spring.