rear shock swap

I baught a new bitubo for the TL about 2 years ago and was a great shock to start with but over time it has lost its damping so its time for a swap.

I have done a bit of research and a R6/R1 shock will fit in by making up a mounting bracket or buying one off someone on another forum for £32 posted 8-)

I think I will buy one as I don't have a lot of time to make one!

The TL uses a separate spring and damper unit and when I fitted the Bitubo shock I sold the old spring unit so I have to source one of those too.

Just been and picked up a R6 shock for £30 8-) I need to remove the spring off it as all I will be using is the damper unit.

SHOCK.jpg

I guess I must have missed something here Stu....thought you were selling the TL?

Anyway.....new shock looks very similar to the one on my Speed 4.......spring should come off easy enough though..... 8-)

:lol: I was

but some things have changed so keeping it for at least another year!!

there is a lot that look the same but they are either too long or too short not sure if anyone has checked out the triumph one

Unfortunately well depends how you look at it actually! My bike is at my heated lock up 4 miles away so can't play with it but it gives me something to do on my days off :mrgreen:

I will be doing the same to my tank but not to a bolt its to the tank mount as it will foul on the top of the shock

Best watch the sparks though I have a full tank of fuel :lol:

Will be doing more to it on Thursday hopefully will be fitted :-)

Yeah.....I had to drain and flush my tank as the guy who is hopefully welding a new stud to it said he wouldn't touch it if it so much as smelled of petrol..... :wink:

Sparks and petrol don't go well together unless they are in a combustion chamber...... :lol:

:lol:

i would fill the tank with water when its been welded if you can too

to be honest i probably will leave mine as its only the bracket on the back of the tank and should only need a few mm taking off which i may do with a file depends how lazy im been :lol:

i have a flap disc for the grinder which cause little spark and are pretty gentle really

i also removed the seat and rear panels the other day and stored them in a safe place

panels.jpg

but looking at this i think i will have to remove everything including the subframe as it looks a bit tight for space also the rear hugger may need to be modified

subframe.jpg

:lol:

i would fill the tank with water when its been welded if you can too

to be honest i probably will leave mine as its only the bracket on the back of the tank and should only need a few mm taking off which i may do with a file depends how lazy im been :lol:

i have a flap disc for the grinder which cause little spark and are pretty gentle really

i also removed the seat and rear panels the other day and stored them in a safe place

[attachment=1]panels.jpg[/attachment]

but looking at this i think i will have to remove everything including the subframe as it looks a bit tight for space also the rear hugger may need to be modified

[attachment=0]subframe.jpg[/attachment]

So....a nice easy job then Stu...... :lol: :lol:

So....a nice easy job then Stu...... :lol: :lol:

errr yeah :lol:

to be honest i have had the bike apart that many times i will estimate about 15 mins and all the wiring battery ecu power commander and subframe will be off :lol:

its easy when you know what your doing and how it all comes off :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

after much fettling its in 8-)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/stu_m_photos/IMG_8262.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r71/stu_m_photos/IMG_8261.jpg

i have sent a nice letter of complaint to bitubo about the rear shock i get off them and they are picking it up on monday to be repaired hopefully under warranty 8-)

so that will be getting sold on ebay :)

With the way my days off are going err maybe the year after :lol:

All I need is a spring and it can be put back together which won't take long

I had all the swing arm off yesterday and put back on within a few hours :lol:

Still won't be ready for the road though I want to pull the clutch out and weld the center to stop the back torque limiter working as its crap :lol: