Honda CBX1000

My Honda-Yamaha dealer recently added a pristine 1980 CBX1000 to his collection of vintage bikes. Here's an image from the web of a similar bike.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/honda-cbx.jpg

I've read that an inline 6 engine has perfect dynamic balance. Does anyone in this forum have one of these? If so, how about a review?

A mate of mine had one back in the early '80's. I used to ride it quite a bit.....but obviously it's hard to write an objective review 30 years later....and with the rose tinted specs on.... :lol:

Was a nice bike to ride....and sounded great.....but my XS1100 I had at the time had more torque.....so didn't need so much work on the gear lever. Obviously brakes and handling were no match for modern machines.....but it did turn heads....and had a good riding position.

These bikes can fetch serious money these days.....which is doubly annoying because he virtually gave the thing away.... :roll:

I was intrigued by the CBX's 6 carburetors. They would be a challenge to tune, I think. How would you even access them without removing the gas tank? When I used to maintain my own bikes, I remember fiddling with just two carbs and feeling a sense of accomplishment when I got them synchronized.

Contemporary reviews of the CBX1000 record sub-12 seconds in the quarter mile. Pretty good performance for a 1 liter bike weighing 600 lbs. I'd love to hear that engine at full song.

Yeah.....6 carbs and 24 valves......nightmare at service time. My mate changed the oil regularly....but booked it in to a Honda dealer to get other servicing done. The Kwak Z1300-6 was around at the same time....but that was water cooled and shaft drive.....so even heavier.... :shock:

Nothing sounds like a CBX on song. A mate used to drag race a turbo one. Rapid blipping of the throttle at 8000RPM, fast feed the clutch and that banshee whine as it screamed down the 1/4 mile. Awesome !!!

• 2 weeks later...

waaw! :o I didn't know that It exists this bike..! Six cylinder, six carburetors, 24 valves.. Moreover It's pretty.

I want hear the sound!

How many gas liters does it consume? How many Kg does it weigh?

How are the handling on curves?

waaw! :o I didn't know that It exists this bike..! Six cylinder, six carburetors, 24 valves.. Moreover It's pretty.

I want hear the sound!

How many gas liters does it consume? How many Kg does it weigh?

How are the handling on curves?

There's lots of information on this bike on the internet. Search for it on Google. I've watched it being ridden on some YouTube videos. The tiny speakers on my laptop can't really duplicate what I'm sure is an awesome sound.

I think there is a CBX1000 owners club in Europe. You might look them up and ask for a demonstration.

• 2 months later...