2005 Sherco Supermoto 80cc project

Hi all I'm new here,

Just bought my 4th motorbike! Only difference is, this is a project to keep me busy. It's a Sherco SM50 and the previous owner fitted an 80cc kit and 21mm carb. Besides that there's an ignition system, fuel tank and a killswitch!

Sherco, in case you don't know are a major brand in the trails biking industry (similar to Montesa and Gas Gas). They started to make road legal bikes back in 2005 and this is one of the first. This particular bike uses the Minarelli AM6 the same engine as used in Aprilia RS50's and the Derbi's.

Here's the to-do list as of now:

New clutch and clutch cable

Remove engine from bike, strip down, clean everything, replace anything worn, paint crankcase?

Replace engine

Fit a wiring loom

With loom fitted ... buy and fit tail-light, headlights, horn, handlebar switches, mirrors, indicators, number plate light etc.

Fit new chain and sprockets

Fit new tyres

Fit side-stand

Sand, repair, fill and re-paint panels

MOT > Tax > Insure > Ride

I paid just £175 for the bike and I'm giving myself a budget of £225 for the rest (including MOT and 1 year's tax).

I want to prove that you can have a bike on the road excluding insurance for just £400 (and a head turner too - hopefully!)

Plenty and plenty of pictures and updates to follow :)

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/lukechris/sherco_zpsc6e51506.jpg

Many thanks

Lookin good mate, can't wait for more pix. :mrgreen:

Cheers :)

Will really be starting at the end of the month when funds reach my bank account, until then I will just be starting to dismantle bike and such (oh and take some proper pictures for you)

Thanks again, will keep this updated

Thanks all,

Looking forward to starting on it, the weather outside is bloody dreadful which has put me off up until now. I suppose that's what you get for buying a bike this time of year!!!!

Clutch cable and loom ordered, hopefully they'll be here soon. Will go and get some half-decent pictures later on and upload them here :)

Have you got a garage or shed? :mrgreen:

Funny you should say that, I was speaking to a friend yesterday who owns self-storage facilities who offered me a decent-sized unit for £30 a month (and a friend is sticking his harley in the corner so makes it even cheaper).

Will be moving into there tonight and will show you what I've been up to :)

Cheers,

Luke

Hi all,

Got my storage unit and I've got to say with the current weather (specifically all the flooding at the moment) being warm and dry whilst working on this project is great :D

The obvious first thing I went to do was check all fluids, and once I was happy everything was topped up to try and start the bike. Sadly it didn't start which didn't really bother me as I'd seen the bike running previously and knew it hadn't siezed. Following this I managed to strip down the bike and inspect engine, head and barrel in great condition. Cleaned out the carb (the float bowl was particularly dirty), inspected all parts and everything looked ok. Just gave it all a good rinse out with carb cleaner. I then went on to discover that there was an empty oil tank, which I eventually figured out not to be an issue (phew), as the petrol had a green tint (from the probable cheapy shitty mineral 2 stroke oil, the previous owner had used).

Currently trying to work out an ideal oil:petrol ratio for the premix bearing in mind the high RPM's this bike will be strained under (and also considering the big-bore kit). When I've premixed before I ran with a tad more than what was probably required. I'll probably end up doing that again so I have the piece of mind that the cylinder and head that costs more than I bought the bike for won't be siezing up any time soon :D. If anyone's got an idea of what I should be running that would be a good help.

Please find just a few pics below, bearing in mind that sadly the bike had already been partially dismantaled when I took the pictures. I will try and take more pics as I'm going along tomorrow.

Bike in unit partially stripped down:

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/lukechris/2012-09-26180839_zpsc7ac7214.jpg

Got to be honest I love the chunky back tyre, gives it more of a 250cc look than 80cc!!! :D

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/lukechris/2012-09-26180904_zps3f1e1573.jpg

Picture of the unit (not bad for less than a fiver a week):

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/lukechris/2012-09-26180848_zpsce0e8800.jpg

And as the bike stands ... thought I'd best tidy up as I'm hoping on sharing the unit and my friend is coming to have a look at it tomorrow:

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/lukechris/2012-09-26200333_zps83b98e4a.jpg

Will update again as I make more progress,

Cheers

Luke

Excuse the shoddy pictures last night, will take the proper camera over in a short while

Current issue is that as soon as I touch the throttle the bike dies, instantly. Luckily, tomorrow is the last working day of the month and I get paid so will then be able to go and get a new plug and some more carb cleaner :)

Cheers

Looking good :D

Great news on the storage unit. Very similar as to what is attached to my house and great for keeping out of the cold.

I'm not much help when it comes to mix ratios, i'm more of a spectator for this thread :lol:

I recognise that AM6 lump anywhere! Fantastic little buzzy engine, I delved into mine more times than sense :lol:

There was a guide online on what to do with the oil ratio as mine was only a 52cc racing head but I had to adjust the oil input so it was higher. Easy enough, its just a cable.

So you should look that up, failing that when you start it make sure theres a good rich smell of oil but not excessive. Otherwise you know its too high, you can use youtube and expert forums like I did to figure out exactly how much!

But the most important thing with the AM6 engine is the crank case seals are very fragile and it is an awful job to replace them as you have to go through the whole engine. And remembering where bearings go will leave you with an epic memory :lol:

Looking good :D

Great news on the storage unit. Very similar as to what is attached to my house and great for keeping out of the cold.

I'm not much help when it comes to mix ratios, i'm more of a spectator for this thread :lol:

Cheers :)

As I say it's not bad for a fiver a week anyway. I'm guessing around 50:1 but not had to put fuel in yet. Went shopping today and bought a throttle (literally a twist grip as the cable was already there), new spark plug and filled the jerry can. Oh got a litre of Castrol 2-stroke too! £20 spent (and first spend) :)

I recognise that AM6 lump anywhere! Fantastic little buzzy engine, I delved into mine more times than sense :lol:

There was a guide online on what to do with the oil ratio as mine was only a 52cc racing head but I had to adjust the oil input so it was higher. Easy enough, its just a cable.

Hi,

I'm guessing the last owner converted to pre-mix as the oil pump had either packed up or wasn't working properly. I don't mind pre-mix anyway for that reason, you know how much oil is really going through. I've premixed before and it just works.

Got an issue, however. The bottom end needs rebuilding. Noticed a really bad creak once I got the bike running today which I had heard the other day but it never really clicked to check. There's obviously a missing bearing or something like that :/

Oh well, will update with pictures as and when I get more time to work on it!

Cheers

Hi

OK got the engine out, and I've actually started to split the case going to replace all bearings and gaskets in order to remove this rattle. Also deciding whether to replace the clutch too!

Will get some pics up soon

Cheers

Luke

You built engines before? Going to have the crank polished and bores honed then size the shells etc? Post pictures of the old shells so we can see any wear

Will get a load of pictures uploaded in a short while. Yes I've done more top end's than I can remember and have a general mechanical knowledge. I am however lucky to have the small unit and I'm even luckier that it's attached to a garage I do work for so they're helping me out :).

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
You built engines before? Going to have the crank polished and bores honed then size the shells etc? Post pictures of the old shells so we can see any wear

Will get a load of pictures uploaded in a short while. Yes I've done more top end's than I can remember and have a general mechanical knowledge. I am however lucky to have the small unit and I'm even luckier that it's attached to a garage I do work for so they're helping me out :).

Cheers

Apologies for the lack up updates, ended up stripping down the engine only to find most of the cogs completely goosed . After deciding it would be more cost effective to sell the engine and buy a working one, than spending loads of time and money on getting this one right, it sold on eBay for £127.

Sadly I had to spend that on lessons for big bike test (see my other thread) so this will sadly have to go on the back burner for a while (although Christmas presents of the financial variety will fund a new engine :))

Cheers all,

Luke