1988 Yamaha TZR 125 Restoration :)

Hey guys and girls as some of you are aware I panic bought a a yamaha TZR 125 in the hopes of restoring it :)

The panels are in pretty decent condition, fair bit of surface rust around the bike, seized engine, no electrics other old bike stuff :)

My first job was to try and get the engine running freely again, which with plenty of penetrating oil and 2 stroke oil finally came free :D

Second job was the electrics which are definitely not my strongest but I managed to get the indicators working, ignition working and the lights in the clocks working again :)

The wires are in an absolute shit condition which I think to save time and me giving up on it getting an auto electrician to wire my bike up when it's all looking pretty but for now I'll pick your brains for help :)

Anyway I'll upload some pictures when I'm home :)

Wish me luck :D

Oh and any ideas of what colours I should paint it would be good, I'm thinking back to original but I've seen a few ideas which I like :)

Remember this is going to be a slow moving project so bare with me :)

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6138/usx6.jpg

original paint scheme for sure.

buy a new loom.

and you might as well do a engine rebuild too, ring kits are cheap enough.

i am jealous, these are right from my teenage years.

Thanks guys, I've only had it 2 days tango give me a chance haha :D

I have noticed on fleabay the parts are surprisingly cheap so that's good :)

UK190, you reckon a full engine rebuild? It's done 25k miles apparently so that would probably be a good idea :)

I'll upload some pictures especially for you soon tango :)

Should be a really good project Ricky....... 8-) I know some of us slate 2-strokes for their reliability....but they are a damn site easier to rebuild than 4-strokes......and are a hoot when they're running..... :wink: Have fun with it mate...... 8-)

Should be a really good project Ricky....... 8-) I know some of us slate 2-strokes for their reliability....but they are a damn site easier to rebuild than 4-strokes......and are a hoot when they're running..... :wink: Have fun with it mate...... 8-)

Haha, I'm not a big fan of 2 strokes myself from previous experience with my Peugeot XR6 :)

I've decided it's going to go back original colours, because the original colours are the same as my YZF :D

Do you think first port of call is to strip the bike or to try and get it running first?

First of many questions :)

Yeah, it'll all be getting stripped because rebutting has got rust on it :)

What do you think is best to do to getting a spark?

The earths look rusted and corroded and do you think the coil will need replacing or are they generally pretty bullet proof?

Try it first Ricky.......if you can't get a spark then investigate a bit further.....but it sounds like the electrics needs a good sort out..... :wink: Martin's suggestion of a new loom off eBay would be a good place to start..... 8-)

I'll clean up the earths first then if there's still no spark get a 'new' loom of ebay :)

The wiring on this is pretty darn dreadful, the bolts are rusted to the nuts so I've left it soaking in WD40 for a while :)

The carburettors screws which keep the float and jets in are all chewed do I have no idea how they're getting removed :/

Going to be a lot of work :/

wasn't it seized???

i would take the head off before trying to start it. cranking the motor could scratch the bore to bits..

so easy to drop the engine out, and no stupid valves or timing chains to worry about... start stripping!!!

you will have the top of that engine in no time. simples.

You reckon just a top end rebuild or full?

The cylinder looks in good condition, no scoring or marks except for a little surface rust stuff from where the barrel has been sat in it for ages.

Will this be a problem or will the bad surface just rub off?

:cheers:

id just replace the lot..... I tried to be cheap when rebuilding an rs125, and it just ended up costing me loads more time, hassle and money!

I've been looking and parts for a full rebuild and it'll cost about 150-200 :/

I suppose it's what's got to be done though :/

Oh and guys there's pistons on ebay for 15 quid and then some for 35-40 is their much difference in quality or should I save the money and get the cheaper option :)

2-strokes are a piece of piss to work on... To get running can be a black art in perfecting the fuelling! :lol:

If I was you I'd buy a top end kit, cylinder and piston kit from a reputable source! If you need help with brands just post them up here and I should know.

On my old RS125 I used a few brands, Malossi was one, which I also used on my RS50. It was expensive but it lasted a good long while.

If I was close to you, you'd struggle stopping me heading over and having a tinker :lol:

Sounds like you've got a great winter ahead of you! Maybe hone off the rust in the bore before you run it otherwise it'll probably make it's way in to the crank and bollocks the main bearings. Definitely add small end bearings to the wish list and try not to drop too many down the cylinder when you swap then out! ;-)

Check the size of the piston already in the bike first.......it may have already had a rebore and may have an oversize piston in...... :wink:

I'll do that then, be stripping it hopefully this weekend, thanks :)

2-strokes are a piece of piss to work on... To get running can be a black art in perfecting the fuelling! :lol:

If I was you I'd buy a top end kit, cylinder and piston kit from a reputable source! If you need help with brands just post them up here and I should know.

On my old RS125 I used a few brands, Malossi was one, which I also used on my RS50. It was expensive but it lasted a good long while.

If I was close to you, you'd struggle stopping me heading over and having a tinker :lol:

Yeah, I have heard that they're a piece of piss to work on and as its an older bike theres very few electrics which are a pain in the ass :P

I can't find any Malossi piston kits for the TZR on ebay :/

Well, you're more than welcome haha :P *hint* *hint* :P Thanks Fozzie :)

Sounds like you've got a great winter ahead of you! Maybe hone off the rust in the bore before you run it otherwise it'll probably make it's way in to the crank and bollocks the main bearings. Definitely add small end bearings to the wish list and try not to drop too many down the cylinder when you swap then out! ;-)

Going to be an awesome winter, if I don't screw up and get angry or impatient with it two traits I have been given :D

How would I go about honing the rust off? I'm assuming sandaper will be to rough and damage it?

I'm going to strip it because after I got some bolts for the cylinder head and tightened them up, it seems to have very shite compression :/ Thanks :)

Guys when you get a full engine rebuild does that consist of, new bearings, crankshaft, seals, piston?

I've read that you can get crankshafts 'reconed' or is it not worth the hassle and splash out on a new one?

Thanks again all, I'll treat you to some beautiful rusty pictures of the bike this weekend :P (for you Tango) :P

:cheers:

once you have got the engine running i personally would strip it right down to bare frame and then take frame and swinging arm get them blasted and powder coated you will never have to worry about rust again then,you could also get the wheels redone in white powder at the same time will look stunning then once rebuilt