CB750F2N Cafe Racer Project.

The plan is to take a 1995 Honda CB750F2S and cafe racer it.......... 8-)

The donor bike has had a hard life and needs a good bit of attention. The wiring is shocking (did you see the pun there?).......but I'm not too bothered about that as I'll be modifying the wiring anyway.

The bike has a Predator 4-1 system on it.....but my plans are for a 4-2 system. I'm hoping that I can use the Predator downpipes and maybe get a collector made to split the 4 into 1 and then into 2. I have plans for the cans which I can pick up fairly reasonable off eBay.

I've seen a Vonzetti seat unit that I like......so it'll just need some mods to the frame to shorten it and some fixings for the seat unit. Tank has a very slight dent on the right side.....so I'll be filling that and getting it resprayed. Needs a replacement headlamp too.....as the streetfighter twin jobbie on there at the moment isn't really "cafe racer"...... :wink:

Raask rearsets are also on the shopping list.......as are a pair of clip-ons......not decided which ones yet.

There's a clock unit that I quite like......but I'll have to see how the finances stack up and if that gets relegated to "further upgrades" list.

So.....the plan is a strip down to the frame.....see how it looks and then decide whether it needs powder coating.....along with the swing arm.

I'll replace bearings as I go along.

Things are off to a slow start at the moment though as I need to get rid of the Sprint to free up some space in the garage......and inject some funds into my bank account..... :wink:

So.....I don't think this is going to be a quick project.....so please bear with me on this...... :wink:

Anyway......the donor bike...... :shock:

225295043_CB750Front.thumb.jpg.a124759588168169bbf5f40903513ae1.jpg

1056902064_CB750Rear.thumb.jpg.bccd38bc214541eb52f90e4d946936fc.jpg

1187314201_CB750Side.thumb.jpg.7a5edf8b29c85e536877ed0b960262bb.jpg

Decided to brave some of the rain and make a start today on some of the smaller jobs.

First job is to strip and rebuild the brake calipers........they are in a pretty sorry state.

I've got a seal kit for the rear caliper......and I'll be buying a seal kit for the fronts too as soon as I can.

Managed to get the pistons out of one of the front calipers and out the rear too......which involved removing the calipers, getting the pads out......and then putting the calipers onto the rear brake line and priming it and pumping the pistons out.....even though I'd got the pistons out as far as I could with the calipers off the bike, but still with pads in the pistons were pretty solid.... :roll:

The slider pins on the fronts are both pretty solid.....so they're gonna take some pursuation to remove.....I'll hopefully get round to that during the week.

So.....a pic of one of the front calipers and the rear caliper with the pistons removed. Just need a clean up and new seals and some red rubber grease...... :wink:

993771717_Calipersbeforerebuild.thumb.jpg.e4f9aa7d7363491ba86492f56a3b4f41.jpg

Lookin good Bob. Keep them pix coming. :mrgreen:

Thanks Alan.......I may be getting on to you about sorting some stainless connecting pipes between the current stainless downpipes and the cans that I've got in mind.......four downpipes into a collector and then 2 outlet pipes to connect to the cans?....... :wink: Just need to get rid of the Sprint first to free up some space and a bit of cash...... :wink:

but hopefully it'll look good at the end...... 8-)

I dont doubt it mate... So do i get a free test ride on it once its built? :D

Since i will be down huntingdon alot more in the summer :D

I like the look of it as it is bob :)

The pictures make it look better than it is Stu......although it's not too bad. The wiring is awful though....and the carbs need a good strip down and rebuild which I'll do when I get the jetting kit..... :wink:

Hopefully you'll like it better when I'm finished...... :wink:

Well....it's off to a slow start.......but there's a few things that I can get on with until the Sprint goes to make space and cash available..... :wink:

Alan.....these are the cans that I'm looking at......so I'll need a 4-1-2 with a can either side of the bike......dooable?...... :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-UPSWE ... 5af79c7e9f

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Things have been a bit quiet on the project owing to getting the Sprint in a decent condition for it's new owner....and several other things getting in the way.......but spent some time on Sunday with the frame chop and stripping some of it down..... :wink:

Chopped a bit off the rear of the frame and put a frame loop on there to check dimensions etc......still undecided about the seat unit.....or more to the point, the length of the seat unit.....so I need to make a decision soon.

Stripped out the wiring, which had been horribly bodged......and I've ordered a secondhand wiring loom, which I hope to make something a bit neater using bits from both the looms.

Need a replacement headlamp unit.

Ordered the jetting kit, which should be heading it's way across the Atlantic at this very moment.

Waiting for the cans to arrive....which should be any day now.

But the seat unit is the main thing......many of the other jobs I want to do on the bike are kinda hinging on my decision for this.

So....more dismantling is on the cards......engine out....and get the frame and swingarm powder coated......oh, and once I decide on the seat unit I need to cut the frame loop to size and get it welded into place.

Anyways....a couple of piccies to be getting on with...... :wink:

376963484_Framechop.thumb.jpg.9733010b7e6e796faf846641ff35690f.jpg

2004514853_Stripdowncontinued.thumb.jpg.95dbbcdd62aa407cca2ace908971e85b.jpg

I know what you're saying Matt.....I want a shorter seat unit....but the dilemma I have is that the guys whose units I like have a range of sizes......the shorter ones are 55 - 56cm long and I can't chop the frame any more....so the minimum length I think I could go to is around 60cm. They have a nice unit which is 61cm which would be ideal and the front width of the unit is 19cm which is OK.....but the widest part is 23cm and the widest part of my frame is 24cm......so I've just fired an email off to them to see if the 23cm is the inside or outside dimension.....and if there's any flexibility in it.....so we'll see..... 8-)

Got the cans and the wiring loom today....and I think the jetting kit is waiting at the sorting office as they couldn't deliver it today as no one was in.... :roll:

Those upswept zorsts look very sexy!

Do you know what you are using for the headlight?

Or haven't decided yet?

Gonna go for a standard round headlight.....classic look..... 8-)

Those upswept zorsts look very sexy!

Do you know what you are using for the headlight?

Or haven't decided yet?

Gonna go for a standard round headlight.....classic look..... 8-)

I think this would look pure sex

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Davids ... 565aa9b5c7

do it, do it, do it!!!!

Standard 8" round headlight....coz I have plans around a cockpit fairing..... :wink:

The dilemma around the frame and seat may have just been resolved by looking at some pics of another CB750 cafe racer......and it looks like I may be able to trim another 120mm off the rear of the frame with my trusty angle grinder..... :wink: I was worried about weakening the frame....but the bike I looked at is in regular use and is fully roadworthy.....so there may be some light at the end of this tunnel..... 8-)

Sorry....this thread is a bit long on words and short on pics.....but I hope to remedy that pretty soon..... 8-)

This is a cool project man! Im seriously contemplating a cafe racer or a bobber for my next build... but i guess i should "finish" my current one first lol

Exhausts are going to look sweet!

cant wait to see this progress :popcorn: