Harley Fatboy Project - Where to start?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on where to start with a Harley FB conversion/restoration. I want to either convert a 'standard' Harley into a FB or find a cheap FB that I can do up...I guess my two questions are:

What type of Harley can I convert into at fatboy? I'm guessing there's only specific models that will convert 'easily'?

Is there a specific place/wesbite that's good for picking up cheap Harleys? I know that Harleys don't come cheap compared to other bikes but you know what I mean.

This project is going to be a bit of a labour of love....not something I expect to be done over night...more something that'll i'll do over the next 2-3 years whilst I have a day to day bike to play around on.

Any help, experience, advice would be really great.

ta

if you aer on about building from the ground up using donor parts then be carefull on what you buy a frame without a logbook (v5)will sell for £50-£100 frame with a v5 or just a v5 on its own is worth up £1,000 and ive seen more paid as details on harley v5's are not that specific and early ones can be swapped around fairly easy as they had no engine size on them so were sold to boys building chops,and they are paying that kind of money so they can get around the msva rules and regulations that if registering a new bike would encounter

Why a Harley?

I get bored seeing all the "individual" Harleys with the same kit on. I went to a chop club do the other day. Harleys everywhere YAWN.

I was more impressed with the Yamaha MT 01's that I saw. A very nice V twin engine in a frame which will go round corners.

• 11 months later...
The Fatboy front end will fit on many models as long as the neck bearings are the same size my 78 fxr had a Fatboy frontend just bolted on . I'd say if you start with any softail or dyna frame you should be good

Harleys can be purchased pretty cheap here a used Fatboy in good shape can be had for 7k to 8k USD not sure on importing and shipping though

• 2 weeks later...