Young, free and single?

That should read, old, taken and single I think :lol:

Any of you guys riding and looking after older single cylinder bikes? I came across a Yamaha SRX400 yesterday that took me back to my Honda SL125 days. Okay different bikes entirely but single cylinders. There are some obscure Japanese bikes that are no longer around that looked nice.

Would be good to hear who's got what, restoring e.t.c.

Hey rantmachine. I contacted someone about a BMW the same as yours last week. Been sold! It looks a really solid bike. I've never owned a BMW but that model certainly looks the part and reviews are really positive. From your pic it looks like you travel a bit with yours which is what it was designed for I guess. !14 yrs old, spring chicken :wink:

Am I right in saying it is a rotary engine? So the servicing of the bike is like any other but it's once you need to get at the internals it's different, yes?

Hey Pete, they're out there man :lol: Depends on what condition you would accept and what you would want to pay.

Have you had one before?

p.s. that is one cool SRX on youtube. Is it modified with the cooler or was that standard on later models?

It does a good few miles, but I'd travel on it a whole lot more if the damn thing would stop going wrong! :lol: Had been planning to ride to Austria in the summer but really couldn't trust it to get me there. Might do it next year instead but will have to see how the recovery process goes. Lovely bike indeed, a pleasure to ride and I recommend it highly, but mine has not been well looked after :crybaby:

I think you're thinking of Rotax, who made the engine - no particularly nasty surprises hiding inside of it, I believe (aside from a series of badly bodged repairs, in the case of mine).

I've seen a few of these about in various stages from immaculate, to needing lots and lots of t l c. Along with the SRX mentioned earlier these bikes turn in mpg that's unheard of today. That can't be a bad thing. And they represent something bikes were invented for, FUN :D

Yeh, the 600 is the bigger brother. The Japanese got it wrong at the time apparently and thought the Brit's would rush out to buy British bike influenced singles. The bikes didn't seem to sell that well. The brit's DID have nostalgia for single cylinder motorcycles, but for British made single cylinders!

Check out the Classic motorcycle mechanics this month if you like singles and take a look at the Suzuki Goose. Or, there are 2 bikes featured so I guess it is check out the geese :D

I'm thinking about starting a thread about my thumper, with a title along the lines of "Trigger's Broom" :lol: Although I think if I had a running total of repair costs in front of me I'd probably cry...

Spent something in the region of £250 on parts and £100 on tools and other equipment this month - slightly worse month than usual, but not too big a surprise sadly.

Shoulda bought that ZZR... :roll:

• 3 weeks later...

Now that's an interesting bike to still see around. I can hear the exhaust note in my head and smell that smell.

There was an MuZ 660 for sale on ebay this week, with the yamaha engine. A really clean and nice single cylinder. A few miles closer to home and it would be sitting in my garage now :)

barcud