Honda CB450 DX-K 1989 Light/Horn Issue

Guest Ethers2015

Hi All i hope someone can shed some knowledge, i garaged the bike a couple of years ago after a gasket had broken and water had ruined my Alternator wasnt aware at first this was the problem ended up changing other parts first. this year i decided to have a go at getting her going again, after changing the Coils, CDI, Rectifier & Alternator. Since doing this the Horn, Indicators & Lights wont work would any of the above affected this? i have also checked the Glass Fuses & replaced old ones.

Thank you in Advance

Can't help with your problems fella.. but i have to say Im really impressed you have one of those. There was a time when they were fairly common - cheap Honda roadsters/commuters. But I really can't remember the last time i saw one, must be back in the 90s. i thought they had all crumbled away into a pile of rust long ago. That was a bike that when you bought it new - it came with rust and thats not a joke! How they survived in Brazil where they were made beats me.. its not exactly a dry climate.

when you get a mo.. do post up a photo. They should be iconic as the very last of the superdreams but as far as i can tell are now rarer than hens teeth.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429396448.127611.jpg.35981dd79292489f33d7ef7284f246be.jpg. Bit closer to where am however pipes are off atm as getting the down pipes wraped, and air box removed for couple of air filters but be pointless if cant fix the light issue haha

• 1 month later...

As the horn and lights do not work, it must be the voltage feed to the switch. Check all connections at the switch and back through the loom to the fuse. This route will run through the ignition switch so - if the neutral light works, then feed is getting to the ignition switch. Check the Haynes manual wiring diagram to ensure you are checking the correct routing. Disconnect, check and clean, re-connect all connectors. Finally, check the distribution tag strip and battery connections.

Once you find where the problem is, it will be an easy fix (that is one good thing about the older bikes).

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

If all of it has gone it will be related to the switch in some way. This either means a wire has become damaged or corroded - probably earth as all switches are down on that side. You can run a test earth with a piece of wire to see if this improves, if you want to be adventurous take four pieces and use a bulb or the horn if you like as the accessory, the other two to battery and see if the switch activates.It could be a broken wire, but more likely corroded which just means replacing the wires which is simple enough.

If you can lay your hands on an electrical tester even better - test circuit by using the audio 'beep' function which will show that the wire is good from point a-b.