SR125 - A learners project

Guest Angel125

*ripped from my thread in Pitstop*

Hi all,

Please bear in mind, i have no idea about motorcycles other than anything thats transferable from tearing apart, repairing and modifying cars.

I recently purchased a 2002 SR125 from eBay as spares or repairs, non runner, possible starter motor issue. The bike is tatty, missing a few bits here and there and in need of a good TLC.

As i have no licence yet, ive brought it as a project over the winter ready for when i pass my CBT.

I got it home, stripped down and cleaned the starter motor as it had a layer of oil/dirt inside. Refitted, connected the battery...click..nothing.

Realised that the second positive terminal wasnt connected to the starter solenoid. Refitted and fired up...well... Not quite. Engine has compression, spark and carb works, but left hand crank case isnt fitted 100%.

Update 13/11/15:

Replaced both crankcase gaskets and 90% of the bolts for allen heads

Drained the oil and replaced oil filter - going to flush engine before i refill with oil

Fuel line and filter brought

Battery box cover brought

Sparkplug fitted

HT cap fitted

I also checked the air filter box and found that the filter is drenched in oil and the box has oil flowing around it so thats been added to the list of things to do.

12187970_886916534725642_7262220033885661996_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

12247726_889060224511273_2802690592315128338_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Cheers

Ashley

So today:

Gave the engine a diesel bath to remove any remaining oil, drained and filled with 10/40, checked and cleaned any connections and fitted the new fuel line and filter.

Went to start her up...no spark :(

Checked everything i could and it all seems ok.

Found some second hand coils and CDI boxes on Ebay so orderd up ready to replace. Will grab a new battery when i can aswell.

Fingers crossed!

Update 21/11/15;

So, with the wind not actually blowing me away today i managed to fit a new CDI unit and ignition coil/HT lead/spark plug and got her started.

Wouldnt hold unless the choke was all the way out and died the first sign of any throttle.

Spoke with a few bikes mates (who own a customer parallel twin and a Fireblade), they told me to strip down the carb, give it a few tweaks here and there, refit the fuel filter and air filters.

Low and behold, she fires up nicely with only a touch of choke needed!

The only issue i have now is that the battery ive got doesnt fit right in the battery box and the bolts i have to secure the terminals are too big so i need to souce new ones and modify the battery box.

Oh, and i flattened the battery down to 10.5v with the 50 times i tryed to get her running straight, time for a charge and a few retests and then i can get on with stripping and cleaning her for when im actually allowed to ride on the road.

Happy days!!

dont go modifying the battery box just buy the correct battery for the bike,if the battery you are using is to tall then it could press into seat base if its under the seat and put strain on the box mountings as they are only plastic and you dont want it becoming dislodged while out riding