bobber project

Hi guys, I imagine that you get alot of threads like this but I was hoping you could help.

I want to build a 125 bobber as a project.

The main question I have is what's the best way to approach this? This will be my first project bike and I don't have stacks of cash to do it but I don't mind putting in the labour to refurbish parts and don't have a timescale so it can be done over time etc.

I.e what's a good bike to use? I've heard Chinese motorcycles are something to avoid but is this the case for a rebuild/project?

Are scrapyards good places to have a look?

How much should I be aiming to spend on a 125cc to modify?

Aye, depends what you want really. Look at how easy it would be to modify - having the suspension mounts nearer the seat will make it tidier when you lop the back off, things like that.

You may need to throw a bit of cash at it but bear in mind that the bits you take off will have some value as spares to someone else which is where you can justify spending a bit more on the original bike (e.g. Japanese).

You can get cheap insurance write-offs but they're only good if the frame/engine/bits you want to keep are good.

Yeah I understand that I'll need to spend some money making it happen and don't want a bike that looks like it's been built on a budget so don't mind spending where necessary.

Also after some thinking it doesn't have to be a 125.

there are lots of older bikes that would lend themselves to the bobber/custom look depending on what you want and kind of money you wish to spend on buying it ther are plenty of projects on ebay that might be cheap enough to be a starting point as you will end up changing a lot of the bits already fitted to them

• 3 weeks later...