Tank restoration.

Evening all, I'm knew to this forum lark, just curious and have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer.

I have recently purchased a CD 175 petrol tank, whilst I was aware that it was In need of refurbishment, I was unaware of the complications of rust internally.

Firstly ... Is internal surface rust within a petrol tank an issue ?

Secondly ... How can I remove this cheaply and effectively ?

Hope someone can help... Thanks in advance .

welcome to the forum and yes rust inside the t ank can be a big problem with it flaking and blocking fuel tap fuel line and carb easy way to sort it out if the tanks is still structurally sound is to use a tank sealant petseal is one such make http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petseal-Ultra-Petrol-Tank-Sealant-For-Motorcycle-Fuel-Petrol-Tanks-260ml-/401084818775?hash=item5d6284a557:m:mIeOOYk68RGJIXTzrOMuxkg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you both for your responses, I don't suppose either of you have any more links to products please ? Apologies for the inconvenience ...

I'm guessing the sealer you've sent me eastanglianbiker is for after treating the internal rust ??

I would drop some nuts and bolts in the tank first and then give it a vigorous shaking to dislodge any loose stuff. Try washing it out with petrol afterwards as well

yes thats for treating the inside of the tank if you have got areas that the tank has rusted through or has heavy rust on the outside then give it a poking about to make sure its not going to turn into holes and you will need to either replace the tank or find someone who is capable of doing a good job of repairing it im sure gautrek can help with names for that job if needed

• 3 weeks later...

I had exactly the same issue heavily rusted interior until last week.

I'm not the best mechanic and my father-in-law thought I was bonkers but I drained my tank and filled it with 4 litres of cheap coke. Checked it after 24hrs and not much had happened, left it for 4 days and rechecked and there's virtually no rust at all. Of course leaving something this acidic in the tank will eat away the metal so I washed the inside with water and baking soda to neutralize it, then applied a sealant.

Might not be the best method but it worked for me.

Ordinary vinegar will remove the rust if you can buy it cheap enough. I found an old gin trap buried in a field, had been there years and was very rusty. I'd just been reading about someone cleaning a rusty petrol tank out with vinegar so I thought I'd give it a try. I left the gin trap soaking for 24 hours but when I took it out it didn't really look much different, so I put it back and left it another two days and I was amazed at the results, it even functioned properly when I set it.

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss349/kevegg/IMG_1079.jpg

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss349/kevegg/IMG_1085.jpg

I would drop some nuts and bolts in the tank first and then give it a vigorous shaking to dislodge any loose stuff. Try washing it out with petrol afterwards as well

Pea gravel is better - Just keep 'shaking and rotating' to ensure all the flakes are removed, then clean out (I used 'old' petrol), fully dry and then sealant (there are quite a few on the market).

You can pay slightly more and get a 'kit' with 'rust remover', primer and sealant to ensure a 'top notch' fix.

Tip: before putting gravel (or nuts/bolts) into the tank - Remove the petcock and filter (use a small bung or tape to block the hole).

:cheers: