To lacquer or not !

Hi guys

Whilst having put my rebuilt engine back in my XS 650 1976 and generally cleaning her up I am considering the benefits of lacquers get the wheels ,spokes and engine casings etc. whilst researching old threads here I came upon the Belgum Alu which sounds like a great product ( Ian using Autosol again a great product ) . However I am wondering whether laquering is viable in that once applied will it keep muck and grime off to a minimum or at least allow cleaning up a lot less tedious ?

Spokes are are terrible at the moment and I'm not relishing doing those !! :wink:

Thankyou megawatt and stu for the advise that's exactly what I'll do ! My spokes are now proper dirty and I'm yet to be arsed to co contemplate the laborious task of cleaning them . What a knightmare to have to do all of them ! I had kept on top of them whilst riding it but it has stood a while outside,but covered up whilst the engine was being re built !

• 6 months later...

Even if you did find a good lacquer ( I use Tool station clear and its brilliant,you can flat and polish it to a high shine)BUT if you use lacquer on wheels and forks etc. as soon as you get a few stone chips the rot will creep in. In my book there is no substitute for polished alloy. Ah , makes me long for summer.There's nothing finer than cleaning and detailing ( an American expression) your bike on a Saturday afternoon. Best way to guarantee it will piss down rain all day Sunday.

If you have to ride in winter you could use chain lube as weather protection. It won't look pretty and it will build up a good thick layer of filth. When summer comes you can clean it all off with liberal use of WD40.I've done this myself in the past with no ill effects. As for waxes the problem is that they are good for producing a shine but don't really build up much protection. "Wax on,wax off " as they say.

It's mainly the shitty chroming on the exhaust I'm having problems with tbh. The casings can be easily polished again. I expected more from a genuine Honda exhaust to be honest, it took a bit to hunt a new one down as they're discontinued. Would have been as well buying a crap aftermarket one for half the price.