New,xt 600 questions and problems

Hello friends!My name is Zhan Gradev and bought my xt600 (1991) 5 days ago.I can honestly consider my self a newbie, since so far i only dealt with MZs Jawas, ижs and so on. The bike is looking great, going great. It is just that i do not seem to have any power what so ever.lights, indicators, horn they are just not working. I want to put it an electrical starter as well,so any info would be appreciated. And lastly i would like to convert it in a supermoto ,since i mostly ride in the city.the problem is that i do not know what wheels i need, neither what tyres.i would rly like to get that race bike wheels look. I am considering wheels from gs 500 but i think they look too small and i am not sure that it will appeal to me. Well that is all. If you have any ideas please share. I am eager to learn.

Supermoto wheels are normally 17" front and rear. Converting them to different wheels is entirely possible but needs quite a bit of figuring spacers and brakes i believe R1 disc on the front, gsxr rear disc and sv650 sprocket. I couldn't say for sure on model years. Caliper mounting brackets are also needed so any brakes could be used really

The forks are too soft and long travel so ideally want swapping but not essential

Unfortunately the cases were changed to accept a starter motor, so although not impossible maybe VERY expensive. Putting the kickstart back onto a starter motor case is fairly simple though

just for reference

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/planedr/470%20finished/DSC00257.jpg

Thank you for the quick answer!I got my 17" wheels from gs 500.Now all i need to figure out is the front brake disc.Can someone tell me which r1 disc do i need?Which gsxr rear disc do i need? and i was wondering if i put an sv 650 sprocket (46 teeth) is it going to be very unpleasant when i go over 100 km?If i still go for that sprocket what chain do i need??I am not afraid of figuring the spacers, because i have a professional equipment at work.And lastly can someone give any advice on putting a starter?

.And lastly can someone give any advice on putting a starter?

The easiest way to get a starter is to get a later engine. To fit a starter to yours you will have to cut the casing up and weld your own starter mount to the casing. You would need to work out the positions and measurments yourself as its not an easy mod.

Some google work will be your friend for specific details.

Work out what gears are fitted to your bike currently for your f/d and the tire circumfrence and the same tire size on the new, to figure out what final drive you need to get a simular/better ratio

Ah you have the inbetween engine, if the mounts are there, grab all the starter, gears and bits from a later engine, chuck out the kick start and fit the starter, wiring is straight forward

but is the crankcase open where the starter motor would fit if not t hat would need machining out to the correct size for the seal to fit on the starter motor,i thought all the xt600's were electric start and it was just the 500 and 550 that were kick start mind you it has been nearly 30 years since i owned my xt500

edit:: having just had a look round even the 1990 xt 600 was electric start only so is the op sure his bike hasnt had a 550 engine fitted at some point

Edited by eastanglianbiker

Early 600 were kickers, then they went to starters, but there was a cross over of crank cases where kickstarts were used. Like you say though EAB, if it needs machining its a bigger job and needs measuring and working out still