Can you identify the year of this Honda CG125

Guest eduley

Hi All,

I have a Honda CG125, It is registered as 2001 (Y reg) but parts bought using that year/reg never fit or aren't right.

The VIN number I can find is not 17 digits so i'm not sure if I can use that to identify it.

Can anyone take a guess at what year it is?

It does not have electric start or a fuel gauge.

https://goo.gl/photos/JKpDuWyQoS5mYSQa7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you!

I had to come back and edit this post.. as I failed to notice something.

you say it has no electric start.. and yet it says so quite clearly on the side panel. *CDI* That it does.. now obviously these could be panels from another bike.. but they do match panels on bikes with the same paintwork as can be seen on google images.

CDI (and drum brakes) places the bike between 2001 and 2004. I believe.

Did you have the bike HPI checked? was there anything in its history to suggest why it might have been altered? stolen at some point perhaps?

For a definitive answer I would suggest you take it to a Honda Dealership.

I can help with that, seeing as it's identical to mine :thumb:

Your average 2001 CG125 looks like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-32FawH201l4/U_M8jm8PvYI/AAAAAAAAIBA/H8iMX5ZgGaY/s1600/Honda%2BCG%2B125%2B01.jpg

Which of course looks quite dramatically different to yours. Still got the front and rear drum brakes, still kick start only (which is a bit different to having no electric start, as Shorty notes - the old contact breakers went out of use in the mid 90s), but a very different shape and styling to it. Yours (and mine) look more like the earlier pre electric start version, but have the notable inclusion of CDI. A lot of people assume this means the plastics are from a more recent bike (which they aren't; the newer bikes have different shaped plastics) or that they're some kind of dodgy Chinese knock off. Not always the case... the plot thickens.

Around the Y2K, Honda Japan did a very short run of limited edition CG125s intended only for sale in the home market that used the newer CDI setup but the arguably more tasteful bodywork of an older model, along with a few other minor differences - the square headlight is the most obvious giveaway (the old points ignition models have similar bodywork but a round headlight), as are the "CDI" side panels. The other two things to look for are the clocks (which have a rev counter, unlike the originals), and the gearbox, which is the really telling thing. The limited edition ones have a weird (aka. mildly annoying) four speed four down gearbox, whereas the various knockoff CGs styled after the points model have a more normal one down four up setup, and usually lack the rev counter. Anyway, back on topic... they didn't sell well in Japan, ended up in a container doomed to be forgotten, until various foreign importers decided to snatch them up. David Silver (Honda spares supplier and occasional importer) bough in a small number of them, which pop up for sale every now and then.

So all in all, if yours has a rev counter and a four-down gearbox, 2001 is probably bang on the money! And congratulations, you own the closest thing there is to a rare CG125 :lol:

I can help with that, seeing as it's identical to mine :thumb:

Your average 2001 CG125 looks like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-32FawH201l4/U_M8jm8PvYI/AAAAAAAAIBA/H8iMX5ZgGaY/s1600/Honda%2BCG%2B125%2B01.jpg

Which of course looks quite dramatically different to yours. Still got the front and rear drum brakes, still kick start only (which is a bit different to having no electric start, as Shorty notes - the old contact breakers went out of use in the mid 90s), but a very different shape and styling to it. Yours (and mine) look more like the earlier pre electric start version, but have the notable inclusion of CDI. A lot of people assume this means the plastics are from a more recent bike (which they aren't; the newer bikes have different shaped plastics) or that they're some kind of dodgy Chinese knock off. Not always the case... the plot thickens.

Around the Y2K, Honda Japan did a very short run of limited edition CG125s intended only for sale in the home market that used the newer CDI setup but the arguably more tasteful bodywork of an older model, along with a few other minor differences - the square headlight is the most obvious giveaway (the old points ignition models have similar bodywork but a round headlight), as are the "CDI" side panels. The other two things to look for are the clocks (which have a rev counter, unlike the originals), and the gearbox, which is the really telling thing. The limited edition ones have a weird (aka. mildly annoying) four speed four down gearbox, whereas the various knockoff CGs styled after the points model have a more normal one down four up setup, and usually lack the rev counter. Anyway, back on topic... they didn't sell well in Japan, ended up in a container doomed to be forgotten, until various foreign importers decided to snatch them up. David Silver (Honda spares supplier and occasional importer) bough in a small number of them, which pop up for sale every now and then.

So all in all, if yours has a rev counter and a four-down gearbox, 2001 is probably bang on the money! And congratulations, you own the closest thing there is to a rare CG125 :lol:

2001 would have sufficed. :up:

that looks like the version that was made in india for a few years might explain the differences and where have you checked for the vin number as it should be stamped into the right hand side of the headstock and be the same number on the v5 and im fairly sure you can search t he number on different websites once you confirm you are entering the correct number this might help http://motorcycle-vin.weebly.com/honda-vin-locations.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• 1 month later...

2001 is correct. I have the identical model, bought as a shopping bike about 5 years ago. The essay is appreciated, I always wondered why it was different - if I looked after it, it might become collectable - or not!!! The only downside is the reversed gearchange , but as I also have a couple of British bikes with the gearchange on the other side and another with a tank change I'm in a perpetual state of confusion anyway. :lol:

• 1 month later...