Painting Suggestion

Hello everyone, im planning to update my Sharpie project to another level, im looking to spray paint some of the parts, so just looking for an opinion if im doing something wrong/stupid.

The highlighted parts are the ones im planing to spray paint, what part what colour is not decided yet, to this is just a template. I will be using these paints, the code for paints confirmed through research on google.

I was planning just to scrub some metal/plastsic out of the parts, give them a good wash, and use a primer for metal, not sure yet what primer, anyone painters? :mrgreen: I looked that they use primers on everything, and see warnings for primer on plastic, that primer may not stick? Cheers for tha advices, :cheers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-R263-MILLENNIUM-RED-Aerosol-Paint-400ML/300432457762

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NH196-WHITE-ROSS-Aerosol-Paint-400ML-DIRECT-GLOSS-MOTORBIKE-BIKE-/300432466995?hash=item45f32ba433:g:6CgAAOSwlV9WTeMW

received_10207286918609784.thumb.jpeg.99a9db97c8a3cb9657175bdbd40e9ca6.jpeg

received_10207286960330827.thumb.jpeg.6c9f199dee896bf222cddae174aab486.jpeg

If your going to paint straight onto plastic you will need a primer for that. I would have a look for a local motor factor / auto paint supplier most will mix your paint and put it in a spray can. they will be able give advise to. and I would use anti static panel wipe before you start painting, if you want a good finish I would go for a normal base colour then finish with a twin pack clear lacquer.

Im not to worried about the finish, as i will be sharpie pen it again, and you cant get a good finish cause you have to dust spray couple coats so that the sharpie pen doesnt run down. :/ you still get it shiny do :D

The thing about the local shops, arent they gonna charge alot for the paint? the ones on ebay is nearly 10 quid a can :/

I used Kobra spray paint to paint my panels. No primer required, and it came out alright. Not a perfect job, not a proper paint shop job. But it's pretty good for £7 a can.

I bought this purple and gave each bit around 3 reasonable coats and then a decent coat of satin UV clear coat. Could probably have done more coats to get it smoother, but I'm not fussed by it. The whole not having to use primer or even really prep the plastics much was worth it for me.

Plastics were unpainted black plastics before.

See here and here for pictures and stuff.

I bought this purple and gave each bit around 3 reasonable coats and then a decent coat of satin UV clear coat. Could probably have done more coats to get it smoother, but I'm not fussed by it. The whole not having to use primer or even really prep the plastics much was worth it for me.

That looks good mate :) good enough for me atleast, :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I believe you need to use a plastic primer, for the paint to take properly, so in a couple of months it's not flaking off. always told by my pops why why do a job if you don't do it right. cozy later down the road it will bite you on the arse. :booty:

• 4 weeks later...

Love how your bike looks @Arwen! Painting those small areas definately improved the look so much!

Have been thinking of doing the same to my Grom, its a yellow model.. don't know what colour to go with though!

Any thoughts? :)

Cheers :-)

Yellow goes with many colours. Blue or purple would be my first tries, maybe red too. Experiment on paint/photoshop :D

I think it would look good with a candy purple similar to yours.. were these parts hard to remove by the way?

And what UV coating did you use?

I think it would look good with a candy purple similar to yours.. were these parts hard to remove by the way?

And what UV coating did you use?

@Arwen did a helpful post over here https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=990249#p990249 :wink:

Oops! Missed that :) thanks Hoggs!

Hope to come to one of your rides soon :) joined LMRC 2-3 weeks ago and still not been on any rides due to commitments :(

Yea I had spare plastics so didn't have to leave my bike naked for long ;-)

It's only 4-5 screws/plastic rivets per side to remove the whole front fairing bit. Once removed their is an assortment of screws holding the mat black plastics to the coloured bits.

When taking the sides off, there is one push clip that joins the coloured plastic to the tank (the orange oval in the picture below). It's located near the very top edge of the coloured plastic. It just takes a little wiggling to free it.

plastic rivets are evil to remove. So much so I have not put mine back in!

Screw/rivet locations - remove the seat first.

35173172002_cc752cb9c6_c.jpg

35173171012_156ccac116_c.jpg

Yea I had spare plastics so didn't have to leave my bike naked for long ;-)

It's only 4-5 screws/plastic rivets per side to remove the whole front fairing bit. Once removed their is an assortment of screws holding the mat black plastics to the coloured bits.

When taking the sides off, there is one push clip that joins the coloured plastic to the tank (the orange oval in the picture below). It's located near the very top edge of the coloured plastic. It just takes a little wiggling to free it.

plastic rivets are evil to remove. So much so I have not put mine back in!

Screw/rivet locations - remove the seat first.

35173172002_cc752cb9c6_c.jpg

35173171012_156ccac116_c.jpg

Cool thanks for the help Arwen :)

Looking to get this done in the next couple of weeks if time allows.. will post pics when i do :)