XBR500 project bike - long with pictures

Hi all, as I have only poste twice so far (once to say hello, once to ask a question) I thought I'd post a few pictures of my lates t project.

Started life as a 1986 Honda XBR500 in black.

It was in pretty good nick for a 31 year old bike, so I was hesitant at first to start modding it. I didn't like the original styling, and it had been turned into a commuter bike by the previous owner(s), so I thought why not?

Anyway, this is what I picked up

1985-HONDA-XBR-500cc_3.jpg

Soon had it in pieces

201707301325_2.jpg

Not too bad

201707301325_4.jpg

Back end is far too cluttered, too much plastic

201707301326.jpg

Removed battery, airbox and carb

201707301553.jpg

Back end cleared - will be chopped just after the rear shock mounts and a frame loop welded in

201707301553_3.jpg

Test fitting of new handlebars, rear shocks, alloy front mudguard and I've replaced the carb with a Mikuni TS40 flatslide and pod filter

201708011429_1.jpg

Rear view with new exhaust system

201708011429_2.jpg

Side view

201708011429.jpg

As you may have guessed, it's going to be a street tracker/scrambler

I've got lots more to do - new headlight, seat, alloy rear mudguard, tail light and number plate, different petrol tank.

I've also got to relocate the battery and electrics somewhere :roll:

Want to replace the wheels for spoked ones, so I have picked up some from a CB250RS hoping they might fit.

I'll put some "adventure" semi-knobblies on too.

Anyway, I'll try and post more photos as I go.

Constructive comments welcome!

If anybody is looking for original XBR parts such as a scorpion exhaust, tank (black),seat, rear plastics, mudguards, bars etc. please let me know.

Cheers

Muz

Thanks for the interest :-)

@[mention]Mr Fro[/mention]

Lights are going to be mostly Chinese! :lol:

Seriously tho, I've got a cheapo 6.5" LED headlight from China, with a retro style grille.

headlight.jpg

The headlight is pretty crappy, so I've beefed up the LEDS with 2 x 5W and 2 x 7W, even after that it's still for appearance only and will be rubbish, so I'm not expecting to be riding at night much. It was listed on ebay as "daymaker headlight for Harley Davidson" if anyone wants to avoid buying one in the future :up: It was cheap and I will upgrade later. I've got no idea what I'm going to do with the rats nest of cables from inside the original!

Got a nice small combined LED tail light and number plate holder also.

taillight.jpg

Indicators are quite nice black crackle finish with grilles over the lenses.

indicators.jpg

The whole lot was less than 50 quid.

I'll post some more piccies when I get around to fitting the alloy rear mudguard and tail light.

I've got to cut off the rear subframe and weld/braze on the seat loop first, plus some extra mounting brackets for the seat etc.

Watch this space.

Muz