Honda CG 125 reverse gearbox

Hi guys, hope I'm posting this in the right section, didn't think the CG would classify as a classic haha.

Basically I've bought my first bike to run around on while I complete direct access, it's a 1998 Honda CG 125. My main question is about the gearbox, it's reversed with neutral and then 4 gears down. I can't find much about this online and was wondering if I can do anything to swap this around to even just four up? I've attached a picture of what the bike looks like if that helps identify whether it was Brazilian built or not. The parts do say made in Japan but doubt that means a lot.

Thanks for any help!

honda-cg-125-1988-1927210.jpg

I can't wait to to see how this turns out. I've re built eight CGs and all of them had conventional one down , three up gear boxes . This isn't a Chinese replica engine is it ? The side casing appears to say Honda but the crank case and internals might still be Chinese. The bike is in suspiciously good condition for a 19 year old CG. I've heard of Hongda bikes but this might be taking Chinese rip offs to another level. There could be a mystery lurking here.

Oh! So that isn't actually the bike , you've used a picture off the net of a bike in Karachi. Right , got you . Go on , lets see a pic of your actual bike . I bet its a Chinese copy. If it is that would definitely explain the reversed gearbox action. Or maybe its a Pakistan built Atlas Honda one , could be an Indian Hero Honda although I don't think these would find their way to the UK.

Edited by fastbob

Have the clocks got a rev counter? If so, it's a legit Honda - specifically, a CG125S 4 speed. Limited run that Honda of Japan made for the home market, 10 years after production was moved to Brazil. Not sure if it was for a special occasion or just for shits and giggles. You see them referred to on and off as the classic or nostalgia edition because they styled it after the old '85 model instead of the contemporary fugly CGs. Normal CGs (and the various knock offs) don't tend to have the rev counter so it's easy enough to tell them apart. Should look like this:

http://cdn4.fast-serve.net/cdn/BrooksBarn/CG125-CLOCKS-Km-Hr-used-on-WH125-3_700_600_3T7V8.jpg

Anyway, David Silver imported a few of them so they show up over here every now and then. I've got one too, love it to bits :D They're actually quite rare - especially by CG standards :lol:

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CG125S-1995-4-SPEED/

If anyone's interested in original style CGs google Pakwheels cg 125 . It seems to be a gumtree type selling website based in Pakistan. What's remarkable is the apparently immaculate condition of the CGs for sale . I think they are home produced models . Go to images and check out the one with a full protective cover that seemingly stays on the bike when you ride it ! In other examples it appears to be the practice to remove the tank and panels to keep them from wear and tear and then put them back on to sell the bike . Keeping the original Honda logo plastic bag and putting it back on the seat also seems to be common practice. Some of these bikes look mint but have 25000 km plus on the clock.

Sorry I don't know how to post a link but if you can find this image and then go to the website have a read of the sales pitch. Enjoy.http://i.imgur.com/TFB5rJQ.png hmmm. Now which on would I choose.....

Sorry I don't know how to post a link but if you can find this image and then go to the website have a read of the sales pitch. Enjoy.http://i.imgur.com/TFB5rJQ.png hmmm. Now which on would I choose.....

They do some sporty paint jobs for the deluxe. It's like the shell suit 80's all over again.

They do some sporty paint jobs for the deluxe. It's like the shell suit 80's all over again.

Did you find the sales pitch though ? The wording is priceless.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yeah that was just a picture I lifted off google, I'll get pictures of the bike tomorrow so you can have a look.

Ps. yes it does indeed have the rev counter on it, that exact setup to be honest

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yeah that was just a picture I lifted off google, I'll get pictures of the bike tomorrow so you can have a look.

Ps. yes it does indeed have the rev counter on it, that exact setup to be honest

Great, try to get some close ups of any plates or stickers that indicate the country of origin as well as any gear position markings cast into the engine. I do recall a thread on here a long time ago regarding a reversed action gearbox but I can't recall the outcome.

Great, try to get some close ups of any plates or stickers that indicate the country of origin as well as any gear position markings cast into the engine. I do recall a thread on here a long time ago regarding a reversed action gearbox but I can't recall the outcome.

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62580&p=974602&hilit=cg125#p974602

And yep, looks like the model I was talking about - legit Honda rather than a Chinese knock off :thumb:

Well yes , its definitely a legit Japanese Honda so that's got to be how the gearbox is supposed to be . Perverse.

...y'what? :lol:

Well its a reincarnation of the original style CG so why reverse the gearbox ? Perverse behavior on the part of Honda.