BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
wollyjumperuk
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 42 times

BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration

#1 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Greetings all,

I have just moved on my last project (Yamaha YBR125 Custom) and I would like to share with all of you my next project - a BMW K75RT Ultima.

As you may know, the Ultima is the final addition of these 3 cylinder engined motorbikes so beloved by police across the UK and Europe.

I picked this up from the father of a good friend, so I know the history and I know mechanically the bike is solid, so it is mainly cosmetic work I'm undertaking on this one.

For those of you interested, you can follow the progress of the restoration via https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com/
Last edited by wollyjumperuk on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wollyjumperuk
For more on my motorcycle projects, please see https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com

Mr Fro
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 919 times

Re: BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration

#2 Post by Mr Fro » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 pm

wollyjumperuk wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:50 pm
For those of you interested, you can follow the progress of the restoration via MotorcycleProjects on Wordpress.com
Or you could just post directly here - you'd get way more interest.

Westbeef
Fireman Sam!
Bike(s): CBR600F Sport
Has Liked: 545 times
Been Liked: 1201 times

#3 Post by Westbeef » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:38 pm

:stupid:

Not even linking it doesn’t help either. People are too lazy to search.

wollyjumperuk

#4 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Forgive me, I didn't know how to link, but thanks for the advice, I have googled how to do it and here it goes ... motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com and updated the title post with this for ease

I'd prefer not to repost everything on here from the blog, as that keeps it all in one place.
Wollyjumperuk
For more on my motorcycle projects, please see https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com

goat
Bike(s): None
Has Liked: 1719 times
Been Liked: 903 times

#5 Post by goat » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:05 pm

https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com/

Your link didn't work for me but this might
Find me on instagram
goat_and_groundsel

Bikes I've known and loved
Mk1 1999 Bandit 600
Guzzi stelvio
R1200GS twin cam - will miss you beaker.

wollyjumperuk

#6 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Cheers for the hand :thumb:
Wollyjumperuk

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has Liked: 2547 times
Been Liked: 2143 times

#7 Post by fastbob » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am

I still don't get why you can't just post some pics and a description on this forum .

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 BMW F650ST
Challenge Score: 10
Has Liked: 3014 times
Been Liked: 2662 times

#8 Post by Stu » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:02 am

fastbob wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am
I still don't get why you can't just post some pics and a description on this forum .
Because people want the free advertising of their website ;-)
Don't steal!.... the government hates competition!!!

wollyjumperuk

#9 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:12 am

With the YBR 125 Custom off to a good home and the garage cleaned down after the wood work, it was time to look at the next project.

The father of a good friend has been considering selling his bike for a while and wanted to ensure it would go to someone who appreciated it. After a few cups of coffee and conversations about the bike over more than a year, and knowing the bike is pretty much there mechanically, it felt right to buy the bike and bring it back up to 100% cosmetically.

After getting the bike home, the bike had the once over to see what needed doing. After going through the history of the bike, it looks like the bike has always had genuine parts, so this will be continued as much as possible.

The initial to do list consists of:
>Sticky Rear Brake Light Switch
>Pannier Hinges Cracked
>Dashboard Light
>Corroded Brake Line Fittings
DSC_0431a.jpg
>Paint Damage on Engine, Gearbox, Frame, Fork Stantion and Bevel Box
DSC_0429a.jpg
>Paint Damage on Rear Wheel
DSC_0435a.jpg
>Paint Damage on Bodywork
DSC_0432a.jpg
>Bubbling RHS Fairing Pocket Cover
>Corroded Nuts & Bolts
DSC_0438a.jpg
I try to take my time over projects, with these usually taking 18 months plus - so please watch this space for updates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wollyjumperuk

goat
Bike(s): None
Has Liked: 1719 times
Been Liked: 903 times

#10 Post by goat » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:19 am

I really like the look of the k75. Thinking I might have to have one sometime, shame to see so many being hacked into dreadful cafe racers.
Find me on instagram
goat_and_groundsel

Bikes I've known and loved
Mk1 1999 Bandit 600
Guzzi stelvio
R1200GS twin cam - will miss you beaker.

wollyjumperuk

#11 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:31 am

They are good solid bikes, even riding it on the way home from picking it up I can see why people like them for touring and they can carry some fair speed with comfort too - probably why the police liked them so much.
Wollyjumperuk

wollyjumperuk

#12 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:10 am

With the bike safely in the garage and up on the ramp, it was time to remove the bodywork to see how bad the corrosion was on the frame, so see how far I'd have to get into the bike.

Starting from the back, all the parts were removed from the frame methodically, with all of the bolts replaced in the threads they came from ...
... all electrical connections marked before disconnection and photos taken of all the cable runs to ensure re-build as close as possible to original.

During the strip down only 2 fixings were so corroded that they had seized, unsurprisingly both of these were at the rear of the from, where these are directly exposed to the elements ...
... using PlusGas disassembly penetrant, a heat gun and (briefly) an impact driver, these were coaxed out - I can't stand sheered bolts and studs, so I tend to spend the time trying to coax these out. As you can see from the picture the corrosion to the back end of the frame was extensive, so I decided to remove the front fairings to see how far forward it goes and if I'd need to take the frame off the engine to sort the corrosion to my satisfaction.

The only challenge to removing the front fairing was getting the mirrors off the fairing. I did a fair amount of research into mirror removal, as the method to get these off seemed a bit brutal - at effectively hitting these with your palm from below, as hard as you can, to get these to 'pop off' ...
... in the end I used a large flat head screw-driver between the fairing and the mirror to 'pop' these off, fitting by fitting.

Following this the front end was pretty straight forward with all the fixings coming off cleanly, with no seized items at all and even a spare key fount cable-tied inside the front fairing! The nose fairing came off with the 6 bolts and the electrical connections were labelled and section taken off.

I was expecting the corrosion to the rear, as the frame is really not protected from the dirt the rear wheel flings up, but there is evidence of corrosion all the way up to the front fairing sub-frame, not as bad as the rear of the bike, but enough to require the frame to come off of the engine to get it sorted.

For more information, please take a look at my blog at https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com/
Wollyjumperuk

wollyjumperuk

#13 Post by wollyjumperuk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:57 pm

With it clear that the frame of the bike was fairly corroded, it needed to come off to be sorted, so began the parting of the engine and the frame.

It started with an emptying of the coolant by disconnecting the hose at the lowest point and letting it drain before removing the radiator to reveal ...
... the corrosion at the front of the frame was worse than seen on the rest of the frame - supporting the decision to remove and treat the frame.

The brake system was bled down and the lines disconnected where they pass though the frame before the engine block was supported in preparation.

The front wheel was dropped out and the frame unbolted to allow the frame and forks to be removed in one section ...
... leaving the engine and transmission standing ...
... to be tackled next, alongside an oil leak from the rear of the gearbox, discovered just after the frame was released and removed.

For more information, please take a look at my blog at https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com/
Wollyjumperuk

deanadam1967
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 10 times

#14 Post by deanadam1967 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:00 am

Hi. Have a 1986 k100. Not going to restore it now. So if you need anything and i can help just give me a message. Deano

geofferz
Bike(s): Yamaha mt10
Has Liked: 1074 times
Been Liked: 728 times

#15 Post by geofferz » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Cool project
Spanker of cyclists' arses