BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration

This section is for discussion on old/classic motorbikes. Also please use this section to put your project and restoration threads.
wollyjumperuk
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 35 times

BMW K75RT Ultima: Footrests

#46 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:18 am

I've been looking at the footrest brackets on the bike for a while now and then choosing to do something else. I think it's about time I got on with these.

So, as is traditional, all the components for each side were laid out to see what I had...

... with it being fairly clear the bolts and pins needed replacing, rear footrest holders needed repainting and all the other bits needed a good clean up.

Once the stainless steel replacement parts were ordered, the first job was to clean up the metal centres of each footrest to take it from the condition I found these in to a condition I was happy with, this required cleaning with WD-40, paper towel and a scraper before drying off and application of Autosol Metal Polish with wire wool. Following this a buffing wheel on a drill was used to finish up.

The rear footrest mounting brackets were stripped back with a wire wheel, to remove the rust, before layering up with Autotek Etch Primer, Halfords Gloss Black Enamel, Halfords Clear Enamel Lacquer and being set aside to cure.

With everything cleaned, ordered parts arrived and the paintwork cured off, all the components were brought back together to double check fitment...

... before the old pins, bolts, washers, split pins and nuts were chucked into the recycling.

Starting on the left of the bike, the rear footrest mounts were bolted onto the bracket backplate to allow some minor adjustment ...

... before the rubber was popped over the core, the pin hole had a drill run through it (as it was a fraction tighter on the fit than I'd like)...

... the bearing faces on the mount were greased as was the pin.

The back washer was added to the core, the footrest was pushed into position and the pin slid in...

.. then washered and split pinned to secure it.

The front footrest was easier to fit, although quite fiddly, with the bearing faces and pin greased, footrest added and pinned.

The pin was retracted a little to allow the return spring to be fitted, the seat of which was also greased, the spacer and washer added and the assembly compressed...

... to allow the split pin to be added to secure it all.

From doing the left side first, I found it was a pain (especially with the rear footrest) to attach the rubber to the core before fitting, as you have to compress the rubber to get the pin in - this did cause me to slip and create a little paint touch-up work for me.

So, with the right side, the bare cores (without the rubbers) were fitted to the bike, for both front and rear...

... before the rubbers were added...

... to both footrests.

This turned out to be a much better way to fit the footrests and I'd recommend fitting them this way in the future!

As always, if you'd like further details, please see https://motocycleprojects.wordpress.com/
Wollyjumperuk
For more on my motorcycle projects, please see https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com

fastbob
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Has Liked: 1890 times
Been Liked: 1416 times

Re: BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration

#47 Post by fastbob » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Wow ! I just read the whole thing . What a brilliant thread and what a brilliant piece of work . And I do mean WORK, I love the way you don't shy away from getting stuck in and doing things by hand . For example the frame , many people would have chosen to have someone else blast it and powder coat it but you did it the hard way . Excellent, one massive LIKE for the whole thing . 👍👍👍👍👍 etc.

wollyjumperuk

BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration: Undertray & Rear Mudguard

#48 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:19 pm

With the back end coming on nicely, I thought it would be time for the first of the bodywork to go back on.

So, starting with the rear mudguard everything was laid out replacement fastenings ordered and the plastic cleaned up with Muc-Off motorcycle cleaner, before the parts were pulled back together...

... and checked over to ensure I hadn't missed any damage.

Once I was happy, and after a cuppa, the mudguard was offered up and fitted...

... it's starting to look like a bike again now!

Then onto the undertray, once again everything was laid out with the effect on the damage from road crud and salt apparent ...

... but, to solve this, the fittings were stripped back with a wire wheel on a drill to remove the vast majority of the rot...

... with the remainder of the rot being treated with Kurust, to get into those bits a wire brush can't ...

... before a couple of coats of Hammerite Smooth Silver was used to protect these in future...

... with these left to cure off.

In the meantime, the undertray was cleaned up with Muc-Off and WD-40 before a proper clean with Muc-Off before this was offered up to the bike ...

... to ensure everything is where it needs to be (including the rubber stops on the rear of the gearbox).

The last piece of this rear-end black plastic is the lower section of the tail fairing ...

... this was cleaned up with Muc-Off and a rag, with the fixing bolt and captured nut being replaced with stainless steel upgrades and was offered up to the bike before the undertray was fixed in place and the lower section of the tail section secured in place ...

... to finish off the job.

As always, if you'd like further details, please see https://motocycleprojects.wordpress.com/
Wollyjumperuk
For more on my motorcycle projects, please see https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com

wollyjumperuk

BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration: Wiring Loom & Fusebox

#49 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 pm

So, as I've been adding things back to the frame, I've been adding in the wiring loom, so you will have seen this in pictures on previous posts, but I wanted to detail the main loom installation in 1 go here.

The harness was pulled out of the box and laid out...

... and given a once over to check for any damaging to the harness. The only damage was seen was the missing loom wrap on the section which gets the brunt of the road crud as it runs along the side of the undertray.

To start the re-build, the fuse box was cleaned up and the internals rearranged before being refitted into their original positions, starting with the cabelling for the alternator fed though before the internals were bolted in ...

... and fitted back into the bike and the wiring loom fed into the front of the frame...

... allowing the cables for the coil packs to be connected up straight away, followed by the power socket and the cover...

... which tidies that up.

The loom was fed through the front of the frame, with the rear section of the loom brought through above the airbox...

... allowing everything which had to go forward being slung over the handlebars before the plastic trim under the loom was added.

With the rear section of the loom now held on the bike, it allowed good access to the damaged section of the loom. All the loose wrap was removed and taken back to good material, which was held in place with electrical tape...

... and the exposed section wrapped with electrical wiring loom material to keep everything together and protect the cabelling ...

... and, of course, it looks a lot better.

At the front of the frame, the ignition control unit was added into the recess in the frame allowing this to be connected up.

The battery was added to the bike, with the screws and retaining plate getting a complete strip and re-paint due to the the corrosion seen on the parts...

... which, once cured were put in place to clamp down the battery.

The rear of the loom was run along the inside edge of the frame on the right hand side which will be tied into position once everything is in place, to allow of routing into the best position.

The rearward section of the harness was run to the rear mudguard and back through the lower portion of the tail fairing ...

... with the ABS control unit put in place and electrically attached...

... completing the main run of the wiring loom.

The remaining electrical connections will be dealt with in each of their respective sections.

Last edited by wollyjumperuk on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wollyjumperuk

wollyjumperuk

BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration: Rear Indicators

#50 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:33 pm

With the lower part of the tail fairing in place, the indicators were the next job, so all the parts were, as usual, laid out to see what I had...

... so it looks like just a case of a tidy up and a check for operation .

The plastics were cleaned up with Muc-Off motorcycle cleaner, WD-40 for the more stubborn bits and final clean off with more Muc-Off...

... which were then bolted back into place on the bike...

... and the electrics run into the housings...

... to make sure the cable runs were good with no snagging.

Each of the indicators were checked for operation in turn (please forgive the pun!)...

... with no issues there.

The lenses were then reattached to the housings...

... completing the job.

As always, if you'd like further details, please see https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com
Last edited by wollyjumperuk on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wollyjumperuk

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt, r ninet
Challenge Score: 70
Has Liked: 638 times
Been Liked: 737 times

#51 Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:35 pm

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Find it hard to believe how well you’ve revived those some of those parts, I would have looked at the rusty stuff and assumed they were not salvageable!

Can’t wait to see the finished article.
2018 BMW R nineT
“It’s shit. And as soon as I get home I’m going to buy one.”
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Slowlycatchymonkey

#52 Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Your links not working. It’s comes up with-

motocycleprojects.wordpress.com doesn’t exist
2018 BMW R nineT
That was a fellow journalist’s first impression of the BMW R nineT recently. It’s a pretty accurate summary; the R nineT is somewhat ill-mannered by modern motorcycle standards but also instantly, inarguably, infatuatingly wonderful.

Snod Blatter
Bike(s): CBX250RS-E CB250N Two Fifty TRX850 K100RS Z250SL
Has Liked: 326 times
Been Liked: 150 times

#53 Post by Snod Blatter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Was the fuel injection control unit always at the back of the bike? Mine lives above the battery, the rear is full of ABS module instead.

wollyjumperuk

#54 Post by wollyjumperuk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Slowlycatchymonkey wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Evening, I've just checked the link and it's definately https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com
Wollyjumperuk

wollyjumperuk

#55 Post by wollyjumperuk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Snod Blatter wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:38 pm
Was the fuel injection control unit always at the back of the bike? Mine lives above the battery, the rear is full of ABS module instead.
Evening, completely agree - I've just re-read the microfiche and it looks like I'd mis-read it originally - I'll go back and update the post. Many Thanks
Wollyjumperuk

Slowlycatchymonkey

#56 Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 pm

wollyjumperuk wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 pm
Slowlycatchymonkey wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Evening, I've just checked the link and it's definately https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com
Its working now?!?! Thanks
2018 BMW R nineT

wollyjumperuk

BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration: Tail & Brake Light

#57 Post by wollyjumperuk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:25 pm

With the indicators on and the electrics in place, it was time to finish off the rear end lighting with the combined brake and tail light.

Well, it didn't take long for all the pieces to be pulled together ...

... which wasn't a difficult job, to be honest.

The back of the unit was cleaned up, with a dry rag, before both the brake light and tail light sections were tested for operation ...

... and found to be fine.

The unit was wired into the rear of the bike and the wiring loom aligned to allow the rear light to be refitted...

... before the rear lens was cleaned with Muc-Off to finish the job.

As always, if you'd like further details, please see https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com/
Wollyjumperuk

Asbo41
Bike(s): 98 zx6r
Has Liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 46 times

#58 Post by Asbo41 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Awesome restoration!! :cheers:

Ive looked at your website too, a really good read. Keep it coming.
Current bike..
1998 ZX6R streetfighter (Asbo)
Old bikes...
VT250
DT125
440LTD
SV650S

wollyjumperuk

BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration: Seat Lock

#59 Post by wollyjumperuk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:54 pm

As I was working on the back end, the seat lock was next in line, so that was pulled out of the box and put on the bench and stripped down ...

... to allow the parts to be cleaned up with Muc-Off motorcycle cleaner and the helmet lock catch polished up. This catch did show some corrosion on the chome plate, but it wasn't significant enough at this stage to justify replacement, so just the cleaning for this time.

The smooth head square cap bolts had previously been badly painted, so this was stripped off and the heads repainted with layers of Autotek Etch Primer, Halfords Gloss Black Enamel and Halfords Clear Enamel Lacquer before being allowed to cure.

The fittings were bought back together...

... before the lock unit was offered up and mounted to the bike...

... with the helmet catch and the seat lock mechanisms greased as well as the helmet catch with WD-40'ed return spring added to complete the job.

As always, if you'd like further details, please see https://motorcycleprojects.wordpress.com/
Wollyjumperuk

wollyjumperuk

BMW K75RT Ultima Restoration: Front Brake

#60 Post by wollyjumperuk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:45 pm

With the back end of the bike starting to look good, the last of the systems running the length of the bike is the front brakes.

But, as the handlebars are not ready, this bit will be left for now.

So, everything was pulled together and the order of work decided, starting with the brake calipers, which were pulled out...

... the caps popped off and the pad pins drifted out and the pinch bolts, with a fair amount of effort, unwound...

... and put in the metal recycling box, these are definitely going to be replaced!

The ABS sensor was the next bit to take off, did it want to play ball? Did it hell! So, after heating and penetrating oil the damn thing still wouldn't budge ... so drilling out is the way forward to reveal some corrosion welding the bolts into place.

The sensor was also corroded in, meaning this needed to be wedged out with a screwdriver...

... to reveal the size of the tidy-up job here! The remaining studs were punched and drilled out to 5mm before a M6 tap was wound through to allow the sensor to be reattached later.

From riding the bike to the workshop, I know the brakes are good, so there is no need to go any deeper than this, so everything for each caliper was laid out and the halves of each caliper cleaned up, showing just how bad the cosmetic condition of the caliper was...

... given this condition, the paintwork was scuffed up, dust seals removed, mating faces masked up and the pistons masked up before building up thin coats of K2 Gloss Black Brake Caliper paint giving this plenty of time to cure (about 3 weeks while I was away for work) , before the o-ring was replace and both halves bolted back together, allowing the other bits to be lined up for cleaning and refitting...

... which went without incident...

... ready for the calipers to be reinstalled on the bike...

... allowing the pinch bolts to be torqued up (not that I could find a setting, so whatever felt right really - if there is any evidence of leaking when I bleed these, they'll be nipped up) and finishing the calipers, although the mounts have not been tightened as these will have to be moved to allow the front wheel to be removed for sorting later.

It's worth nothing here that due to high tensile strength bolts being removed, there were replaced with the same specification and not straight stainless steel bolts.

Next were the 2 flexible lines in the system, both of which showed corrosion on the ends...

... so both of the lines had both ends fitted with bolts and washers to protect the mating faces and the rubber portions masked off, allowing the build up of thin coats of Motip Silver Brake Caliper paint...

... and allowed to cure, before being put aside until the rest of the system is ready to be fitted.

Next on the list was the ABS pump, which was in a bit of a sorry state...

... so this was taken back with a wire wheel attachment on a drill to remove the loose material, but I found so much under-paint corrosion that across the majority of the pump it needed to be taken back to bare metal before the cable and brake fluid channels were masked off and the body coated with Autotek Etch Primer, Halfords Gloss Black Enamel and Halfords Clear Lacquer Enamel, before being set aside to cure and allow it to be mounted...

... complete with bleed nipple.

The final target for cleaning up were the fixed lines, so these were put on the bench, cleaned up and laid out on the bike...

... and the scale of the task dawn on me, I should have run these lines before I fitted the wiring loom back in, this will require a lot of wiggling and swearing!

So, the lines were fed through from the front of the bike, wiggling, shoving, pushing, adjusting and pulling one of the lines at a time until both were fed through and bolted into the ABS pump. I must admit, it would be so much easier if I'd not had the fusebox in at the time.

But it allowed the fixed lines for the calipers to be reinstalled alongside the flexible lines...

... before all the fittings were torqued down.

So the last bit to do is the earthing lead on the ABS pump, which had corroded through and dropped off as it was taken off the bike. But a new connector was found for the end, the wire was stripped back, continuity checked, new end attached, continuity checked again and bolted between the ABS pump and onto the top bolt of the footrest, between the plate and the gearbox.

Finally the continuity was checked again...

... and found to be good - finishing that job, with the master cylinder being completed as part of the handlebars and bleeding down as part of the commissioning later.

Wollyjumperuk