old Ariel motorbike - Model/year?

Hello, hopefully this is okay to post here.

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me anything about this bike?

It belonged to my Uncle who was killed in a car crash when he was just 24 (Back in the 80's). He was a huge vehicle enthusiast but his real passion was with bikes.

It has sat unused in the garage since then and we are starting to think it is about time we do something with it. It's been held onto as it has a lot of sentimental value but I feel it's time it perhaps found its way to someone who would use it how it was intended to be used!

I do apologise if this is vague but I really have no knowledge about bikes and it would be nice to hear anything you could tell me; for practical reasons but also it would just be nice to hear about something that was important to my Uncle.

neils_bike.jpg

neilsbike.jpg

Thank you (And apologies if this type of post ins't allowed here)

It looks like an early 50s VB 600.. but,

I think I can make out what should be on the side.. though it looks more like V5. (must be VB)

it has a lot in common with this 1953 bike.. not identical.. but along the same lines.

stroj_big_zoom_7181.thumb.jpg.d2277fe6abec607f85c9bfa010354782.jpg

If it is a VB they were made from 1947 to 1953

They were really quite classy bikes in their time... expensive.

Today.. fully restored anywhere between £5000 - £8000

There's an Ariel owners club who might well help. Lovely looking bike and with the history sounds like a great excuse to get it restored, learn to ride and get out on it yourself.

That's great to know; thank you.

Yes it was tempting after sitting on it - I can see the appeal. I am sure my brother and I will continue to mull over the decision - So who knows! 8-)

I am rather devoted to my Snoopy themed Smart car. My Uncle has a sidecar to go with the bike which is adorned with Snoopy, so it is a little homage.